• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire season in NM Unit 36

Photo from USNWS
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      I drew my first choice on my first time to apply.

Second rifle Elk unit 36, Ruidoso.

Not sure what to say or think at this point. Applied late on a whim and ended up solo as my hunting partner had application issues. He will really be bummed when he hears this.

I can’t speak to rifle season but during archery a few years back I had a deer tag and called in I think 6 bulls screwing around, lol

Good unit.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm actually on the 3rd season so I don't see them buggling.

I picked it due to moon phase. It could be a flop but I feel like elk are the worst kritters to hunt on a bright moon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
          Fire season in NM Unit 36

Photo from USNWS
          Not a whole lot left to burn.

Comment

Assuming the wind doesn’t pick up again, it seems likely the fire will be contained fairly soon. It still burned a lot of the best stuff in 36 and kicked quite a few people out of their homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
              Assuming the wind doesn’t pick up again, it seems likely the fire will be contained fairly soon. It still burned a lot of the best stuff in 36 and kicked quite a few people out of their homes.
              North side by No Gal?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                We camped in the Capitan's last summer. Your biggest challenge on a 7 day hunt is going to be water if you plan on backpacking. Those roads are pretty bad so I wouldn't be planning on driving around in an F-250, ask me how I know!

Good luck, I'm envious of those that drew. It's a cool experience to have!
                Drop tire pressure down. I went all over in 37 in Jan hunting deer. Wasn’t the best experience but 35” and 18” rim aired down makes a big difference.

With that said it a great unit to trailer a UTV

Comment

Starting to see some bagging on the cows around the ranch. Should start seeing some calves being born in the next month. Always cool to see the young elk in the herds. Bulls are starting to put back on their horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                    It still burned a lot of the best stuff in 36 and kicked quite a few people out of their homes.

Man it burnt the good stuff up fast. Are y’all getting some sprinkles that way this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      North side by No Gal?
                      Has not made it to nogal. Three rivers all the way to the west end of bonito canyon. Basically all the wilderness that still had timber.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                        Man it burnt the good stuff up fast. Are y’all getting some sprinkles that way this morning?
                        Only ash right now. At least it’s pretty calm compared to yesterday.

Comment

We drew unit 53 with an outfitter. I better get my butt in shape. Sounds pretty rough. It will be my first elk hunt. Moonstalker(Sloan) drew with me and he has hunted and guided plenty. Not sure what to expect but excited the same.

Comment

Moved to gear thread
                            Last edited by ejj005; 04-29-2021, 06:32 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Comment

Anyone have any recent info on unit 53?

Comment

I have never hunted it, but we spend a lot of time up there in the summer. It is steep! We have put in for it several times but have never been drawn. If your not afraid to work, I feel like it could be a really good hunt. The opportunity for a big bull is definitely there.

Comment

Working...
                                X