Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take a family heirloom (rifle) hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you take a family heirloom (rifle) hunting?

I've got my grandfather's Sako Finnbear 7mm Mag from the 1970's, after he passed away. The thing doesn't have a mark on it and was never shot. It's beautiful light wood. My uncles suggested taking it on my elk hunt this fall, because my grandfather would have wanted me to take it...I'll never sell it, so the monetary value of mint condition doesn't mean anything to me. It's a beautiful rifle, just not sure taking it on horseback in the mountains for a week is best for it.

Guns are made to be used and shot. Why try to preserve its condition if you’re not gonna sell it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd take it. You don't plan on selling it so what harm does minor wear and tear do? Use but don't abuse. If it was never shot maybe start a log of animals taken with it to be passed down through the future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
        Guns are made to be used and shot. Why try to preserve its condition if you’re not gonna sell it?

You hit the nail on the head!

Comment

You'll get a variety of opinions...to me a mint all original VALUABLE family heirloom would stay that way while in my possession. I'll let who I pass it down to decide the end fate.

I have my great grandmothers's deer rifle in a 722 / 257 roberts...it has a cut down stock & a small imbedded compass my great gramp installed for her to get back to camp in the grip cap area. I refinished the wood & don't know how many first time kills the rifle has had in the last 30 years since I've owned it.

If the gun had been minty, it would be minty today...ymmv.

Comment

I would take it to the deer blind. Once. Wrapped in bubble wrap.

Modern rifles have come a long way when dealing with the mountains, and that rifle is for me to remember my grandfather, not chuck down a mountainside

Comment

your grandfather started it and you should finish it . (what he would want you to do with it ) isnt that why you ended up with it ?

Comment

Hunt it!

Comment

It's a case by case basis...I have a Remington Wingmaster that dates back to the second year they were produced. It's over 70 years old, but still cycles like a dream, so it goes out. It's got a cracked stock and blemishes all around, so I'm fine with using it.

The other is a 1100 LT left eject that was my Dad's favorite gun. I'll take it to hunt one day for memories sack, then it goes back in the safe.

But if either of them were kept in pristine condition by the previous relative, I'd try to maintain that condition as best I could as a way of showing respect to them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Every gun I have inherited was well used before I got them. I don't always take them afield with me but they do get taken.

Mint would be tough to take into the mountains.

Comment

Absolutely, I would as long as it was in good working order. If somebody thinks enough of you to will you a firearm they probably wouldn’t want it any other way.

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          You'll get a variety of opinions...to me a mint all original VALUABLE family heirloom would stay that way while in my possession. I'll let who I pass it down to decide the end fate.

I have my great grandmothers's deer rifle in a 722 / 257 roberts...it has a cut down stock & a small imbedded compass my great gramp installed for her to get back to camp in the grip cap area. I refinished the wood & don't know how many first time kills the rifle has had in the last 30 years since I've owned it.

If the gun had been minty, it would be minty today...ymmv.
                          Agreed.

Comment

I wouldn't take it

Comment

I have done this myself. I got my grandpas 8mm mauser he brought back from WW2. He used it to bring deer meat back to the platoon. Granted it's not a pristine rifle or collectable by any means but still in good condition. I bring it out to hunt when a special hunt to me comes up. It's a tool he used and I plan on continuing to use it as such. For me I just won't over use it and make sure it's in good order for the next generation of our family to do the same with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X