Crossbow recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
    I have a TenPoint Nitro X that I'm getting ready to sell. It isnone of the higher end crossbows.it has the reverse limbs. Rated at 440fps. It has the AccuDraw Pro cranking system on it. I just got it back from Tenpoint where they installed new cables and string. Also has a speed rated scope with it
    What will you be looking to get for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      What will you be looking to get for it?
      I honestly haven't decided yet. I thought about trying to trade in for a timed protein feeder. I literally just picked it back up today from the shop

Comment

Scorpyd
        Ten Point
        Ravin

In that order. You might spend 2500 but their top models will literally hold rile life groups out to 100 yards on a clam day. That really opens up a new dimension to hunting. Imagine being able to whack a huge buck at 90-100 years in early October. Its like using cheat codes on a video game.

Comment

I just purchased a Tenpoint Titan Turbo M1 and it's a very nice crossbow. It will be fun to use next October!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is the CenterPoint CP400 Worth the extra $300 over the 370?

Looks like quite different tech between the two. I’m looking to get my 9yo son set up with a little more challenge moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Dale, If YOU're serious about hunting with a crossbow, then YES. The cp400 is an early generation "Ravin" with an AR style stock. There's simply no comparison to a 370.....remember I've got both.

For $1k or less (includes trigger fix, additional arrows/broadheads, and crank cocker) the cp400 will shoot with ANY of the bows listed above costing as much as $2.5k $3k+. Mine was out of the box to ON at 100 yards in 10 shots. This off a picnic table using nothing but the built in rest. Same hole accuracy at 30 and 50. That's also using the scope included with the package. I'll have an OracleX on it next year and she'll be as ready as ready can get......for a lot less money..

However, if you don't plan on using it and it'll just be used by your kids then I'd go cp370.
            Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-20-2021, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Not sure if asked yet, but is she interested in a crossbow, or a compound bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                Dale, If YOU're serious about hunting with a crossbow, then YES. The cp400 is an early generation "Ravin" with an AR style stock. There's simply no comparison to a 370.....remember I've got both.

For $1k or less (includes trigger fix, additional arrows/broadheads, and crank cocker) the cp400 will shoot with ANY of the bows listed above costing as much as $2.5k $3k+. Mine was out of the box to ON at 100 yards in 10 shots. This off a picnic table using nothing but the built in rest. Same hole accuracy at 30 and 50. That's also using the scope included with the package. I'll have an OracleX on it next year and she'll be as ready as ready can get......for a lot less money..

However, if you don't plan on using it and it'll just be used by your kids then I'd go cp370.
                I appreciate your input, sir. It was your previous post that got me interested in the 400. I've seen your reviews on other stuff, and the way you put your stuff together, and I dig it. Also, I know how golfers are about their gear. It will likely just be my son using it, but I may use it some for pigs if ammo keeps being hard to come by, and if I take a liking to it. But it will be HIS crossbow.

That said, I don't distinguish between what I will use, and he will. I believe in owning good stuff, and having a more than adequate tool for the job, and I want to send him out with more than adequate gear. A Ravin is not in the budget, and your rec on the CP400 looks spot on.

I'll hold him to my yardage limits with my bow for deer. Pigs....I'll extend his range on pigs, and I want all the gas we can get behind it for longer shots. He'll be hunting with me exclusively (or his grandpa) for 3 or 4 more years, so we can help handle the gear.

Thank you sir! I am on the hunt for one now....I have until his birthday in May.
                Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-20-2021, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I appreciate your input, sir. It was your previous post that got me interested in the 400. I've seen your reviews on other stuff, and the way you put your stuff together, and I dig it. Also, I know how golfers are about their gear. It will likely just be my son using it, but I may use it some for pigs if ammo keeps being hard to come by, and if I take a liking to it. But it will be HIS crossbow.

That said, I don't distinguish between what I will use, and he will. I believe in owning good stuff, and having a more than adequate tool for the job, and I want to send him out with more than adequate gear. A Ravin is not in the budget, and your rec on the CP400 looks spot on.

I'll hold him to my yardage limits with my bow for deer. Pigs....I'll extend his range on pigs, and I want all the gas we can get behind it for longer shots. He'll be hunting with me exclusively (or his grandpa) for 3 or 4 more years, so we can help handle the gear.

Thank you sir! I am on the hunt for one now....I have until his birthday in May.
                  I'm just a cheap bast....errr....frugal person Dale. Hehehe. You're most welcome!

Actually, if I get really interested in something I like doing due diligence to try and locate the best bang for the buck. In this case started lurking and reading on CBN about 5 to 7 years ago. There are some crossbow wizards over there and I've learned a lot from them.

These pics will give you some idea about how I think.....$24.00 Plano box converted into my cp400 hard case. A Ravin type hard case, $250+....[emoji6] ALL of my crossbow stuff fits in it. So when I head to KS all I have to do is load that one box up and I'm got to hunt. Not very pretty, but, I'm a function over form dude on virtuallyall occasions. 😉

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-21-2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Bowtech/Diamond

I recommend the Bowtech strykezone 350. Small, light, AWESOME trigger. Only 125-135#s (can draw with fingers in a pinch).
                    Crazy accurate. I've picked up a couple of them loaded for around $300 (1 for me, 1 for buddies daughter).

Bought mine after an injury. Used it couple yrs till back to compound. Now my 8 yo grandson is rockin' it! And I carry it for back up in OK & KS.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20201215_102306.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	24641387

Comment

I'm just a cheap bast....errr....frugal person Dale. Hehehe. You're most welcome!

Actually, if I get really interested in something I like doing due diligence to try and locate the best bang for the buck. In this case started lurking and reading on CBN about 5 to 7 years ago. There are some crossbow wizards over there and I've learned a lot from them.

These pics will give you some idea about how I think.....$24.00 Plano box converted into my cp400 hard case. A Ravin type hard case, $250+....[emoji6] ALL of my crossbow stuff fits in it. So when I head to KS all I have to do is load that one box up and I'm got to hunt. Not very pretty, but, I'm a function over form dude on virtuallyall occasions. 😉

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
                      Just what I am looking for. Did you have the guy in Dallas do the trigger on your 400?

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                        I recommend the Bowtech strykezone 350. Small, light, AWESOME trigger. Only 125-135#s (can draw with fingers in a pinch).
                        Crazy accurate. I've picked up a couple of them loaded for around $300 (1 for me, 1 for buddies daughter).

Bought mine after an injury. Used it couple yrs till back to compound. Now my 8 yo grandson is rockin' it! And I carry it for back up in OK & KS.
                        [ATTACH]1037403[/ATTACH]
                        That's beautiful.....hehehe.....that look is classic.....hehehe

Comment

Just what I am looking for. Did you have the guy in Dallas do the trigger on your 400?
                          Taking it to him in a couple of weeks....first week of February. Rich can work miracles with crossbows, especially CP's. Happy to help you in ANYway I can....just message me.

These 400fps + crossbows are getting ridiculous Dale. Guys are dropping $4k+ for a bloody crossbow. Ravin just exceeded 500fps.....getting goofy. I'll have almost $2k in mine once I top it with an Oracle X.....but I'll be equipped to get the job done anywhere and everywhere.
                          Last edited by Slicefixer; 01-21-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Taking it to him in a couple of weeks....first week of February. Rich can work miracles with crossbows, especially CP's. Happy to help you in ANYway I can....just message me.

These 400fps + crossbows are getting ridiculous Dale. Guys are dropping $4k+ for a bloody crossbow. Ravin just exceeded 500fps.....getting goofy. I'll have almost $2k in mine once I top it with an Oracle X.....but I'll be equipped to get the job done anywhere and everywhere.
                            I aint sayin we won't try to shoot some pigs at 100yds, but I'm not interested in getting into a FPS war. I want him to have what he needs for it, and the good trigger on "his" AR has really proven worth it. I'll get him a rig, build us a good deer arrow/bolt, a good hog arrow/bolt, and get the trigger right, and we'll to it!

Then I just have to talk him and his mom into not playin fall baseball...a new crossbow with some good trail cam pics, and maybe some fall golf promises will get that done!

Thanks again, I'll holler if I have any more questions.

Thanks to the OP for lettin me piggyback.

Comment

Hehehe.....sounds like a plan....👍 The 400 is a great all around choice as you can build it into a high end bow, and save yourself some pretty serious money in the process. Fair warning Dale, deer hunting with a crossbow can get quite addicting....😉

Comment

Hunting? Hell I don’t hunt... I just follow him around with a knife and a camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X