county appraiser/ag/wildlife exemp ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

county appraiser/ag/wildlife exemp ?s

i've owned land in a few counties. some, which i won't mention, didn't really check/enforce if you had cattle for your ag exempt. another county you could see the appraiser down the county roads checking out properties, etc.

how difficult is it to transfer land from ag to wildlife exempt in w. tex/hill country counties such as val verde, terrell, edwards?

You can probably go on their county appraisal website or call them & get the specifics
    We just did this on our property in Anderson county. The county website has an appraisal form you fill out. You have to also submit a wildlife management plan which you can get on TPWD website per the Ecoregion your county is located

Comment

It is not hard to do if you are in good standing, but counties vary on their criteria for doing so. You will need to check with individual CAD and see what their set of rules/limits are like minimum acreage etc... I would suggest that in this time of budget issues facing all counties that they will likely all be more strict in allowing AG on properties, or at least make certain that owners are living up to the requirements. Good luck.

Comment

the main rule is that it HAS to be in Ag-exemption 1-d-1 already before it can be transferred over, which the transferring is pretty simple. If not in Ag already, then getting the Ag established is where counties vary in requirements and sometimes difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
          the main rule is that it HAS to be in Ag-exemption 1-d-1 already before it can be transferred over, which the transferring is pretty simple. If not in Ag already, then getting the Ag established is where counties vary in requirements and sometimes difficult.
          This is not necessarily true..................
          Depends on the County................
          I owned 150 acres in Eastland county..........
          I filed for a wild life exemption, as soon as I closed...........
          There were some certain rules, to follow....such as making wild life
          style improvements... Such as planting forage.
          But, the first three years I owned the place.. I was allowed to let
          it remain fallow........ But, I put a tank in, And reported it to the
          county..... And never spoke to'em again, in all the years, I owned
          the property..........

Comment

1 d 1 /wildlife

i transfered from 1d1 to wildlife on 150ac in jw county a few yrs back, it was pretty easy, and the appraiser i worked with was a pleasure to do business with, helpful, etc. i've spoken to a couple appraisers in edwards/val verde, and they seem to be the same. i can say this, it was a pleasure to rid a place of cows, although i miss the ag tax exemptions. costs more to go the wildlife route, but u don't have to check on cows all the time.

Comment

I learned last year that having/raising(not sure the proper term) bees on your property will get you qualified for a wildlife exemption. Win/win with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                I learned last year that having/raising(not sure the proper term) bees on your property will get you qualified for a wildlife exemption. Win/win with that one.
                Most counties won’t allow apiaries to cover the At exemption for more than 30 or so acres.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  That is true and in Fayette county will work for smaller tracts. However, if you are going to manage the bees yourself it's not a small amount of work.

Comment

Working...
                  X