Lighter arrows for 3d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter arrows for 3d

I have always shot 3D with the same arrows I hunt with. I use heavy arrows with considerable FOC and I think that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage on longer shots at 3d tournaments. At many shoots some 25% of the targets are well beyond the distances I practice regularly – further than I would shoot at a live deer. I decided to build some light, fast arrows for my longbow to use at 3D shoots this year and see if it improves my scores. I went from 11GPP down to 8.1GPP and from 225g out-front to 125. Speed went from somewhere around 180fps to 200-205 fps. I waited until deer season was over to start practicing with them and 3 days in I’m shocked at how much difference it makes. It will take a while to get used to the flatter trajectory, but in comparison it almost feels like I’m shooting a compound This time the Stu Miller calculator was spot on – with one small length adjustment bare shafts were stacking right in there with the feathered ones.

Yes they probably don’t have enough KE to hunt with. My plan is once I shoot in my last tournament this summer I will put them away and break-out the heavy sticks to re-calibrate my brain in time for next deer season.

I have some about a gpp lighter I will use for 3D this year. Aren't as quiet but I don't hear well anyway.

Gary

Comment

I have always used my hunting setup for 3D. I tune my rigs out to shoot between 11 - 11.5 gpp.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        I have always used my hunting setup for 3D. I tune my rigs out to shoot between 11 - 11.5 gpp.

I do pretty much this exact same thing^^^^^^!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I understand doing that but let's face it, many 3D shots are way beyond what we hunt and practice for hunting at. A flatter trajectory is nice in that situation.
          For me it is just using up old arrows that I won't use for hunting anymore. [emoji6]

Gary

Comment

I started shooting lighter arrows and lighter limbs this past season to help with form and to give my shoulder a rest.

But my gpp are the same with both my hunting and 3D setups.

Comment

I run a lighter arrow, but I also shoot a lighter arrow hunting also

Comment

Run my hunting setup for all. I also try to regularly practice longer than I hunt. Trad I will practice out to 40, and I’m not going to shoot at a deer there. Compound I practice out to 100(majority to 80-90 because that’s easier in my yard.). If you get solid at ranges beyond hunting range then within your safe “hunting” range becomes much easier.

Comment

Working...
                X