Question for the plumbers about a toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to chase down a slow leak in a toilet. The toilet would constantly run, about six months ago, I replaced the flush and fill valve. Lately the fill valve has been coming on every couple hours to top off the tank.

With the water turned off and the tank full, should the water slowly leak down, or should the tank stay full?

It should stay full. Won't be the first bad flush valve ever. There is also a seal below the flush ball, under the riser pipe that the flush bulb seats to.

Comment

Flapper is not sealing properly and allowing a slow leak. The only way the fill valve opens is if the water level drops. The water level drops only if the flapper that seals the bottom of the tank to toilet is leaking or the tank is cracked. I doubt the tank is cracked unless you see water on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by slabnabbin; 05-18-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Not a plumber but I did stay at a Holiday inn express once.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G25lcYXaWCM"]How to Fix a Toilet - Diagnostics - Internal Leaking - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by slabnabbin View Post
          Flapper is not sealing properly and allowing a slow leak.

^^^^^This.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
            Not a plumber but I did stay at a Holiday inn express once.

How to Fix a Toilet - Diagnostics - Internal Leaking - YouTube
            Only need to know two things to be a plumber, ***** runs downhill......and don't bite your fingernails.

Op....like otters have said, leaking flapper valve.

Comment

Take pulling up on the fill tube. If the full tube is set to low in the overflow tube it causes this and acts like u have a leak.
              I had this problem with our new toilets after we moved in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s also possible that the float is bad

Comment

Possible calcium or other crud buildup on the underside of flapper or on the round plastic under it.

Turn off the water, drain the tank and with a small rag with some CLR or vinegar on it, clean the underside of the flapper and the round plastic seat under the flapper

Comment

Buy a new one

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy a new toilet with the chair height and you will thank me later! Yes it may only be a little taller than old toilets, but believe me you will notice a difference!

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                        Possible calcium or other crud buildup on the underside of flapper or on the round plastic under it.

Turn off the water, drain the tank and with a small rag with some CLR or vinegar on it, clean the underside of the flapper and the round plastic seat under the flapper

This is my recommendation. Sometimes replacement of the flapper isn’t enough if you don’t clean and inspect the area the flapper seals against

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

To test the flapper you can run Vaseline under the flapper to seal it.

Comment

If the toilet is a Kohler or high end American Standard, call the customer service number and give them the part number from under the tank lid. They will send you a flapper that seals.

Comment

To test the whether or not the flapper is sealing, put a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If it transfers to the bowl your flapper is not sealing.

Comment

Working...
                              X