If you were high school/college age in the 1970's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were high school/college age in the 1970's

Here's a great trip down musical memory lane. Check out best of The Midnight Special youtube channel. I pulled it up on my TV last night and put it on shuffle. For those who weren't around then, The Midnight Special was a 90 minute music show late every Friday night and ran during the entirety of the 1970's. Pretty much all the hit-making bands of the day performed, from pop to rock to disco and even some country. It was can't miss TV for me. Some of the acts on there were true one-hit wonders, some of it is crap that does not hold up at all. (why was THAT a hit?) You will also see some artists just starting out that became big stars. The announcer was the great Wolfman Jack and they often had comedians perform - Steve Martin, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, etc. If you are like me, much of it will really take you back - nostalgia overload.

My step dad always talks about this show, he said thats what they would stay up and watch every Friday.

Comment

Thanks, and some good memories right there. Wolfman Jack was an over the top character, and always played the best music, not just the top 40 tunes heard on the AM dial. You bet I was digging the Midnight Special shows on TV then. Good music for sure. Remember when some FM radio stations would play a late night commercial free LP album of some really good bands? All the cool kids (not me, not enough coins) had reel to reel tape players, and they would record complete Beatles, Stones, CSNY, etc. albums for later consumption. Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the Midnight Special post. Just that I don’t run into someone everyday who even knows what an 8 track is. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
        Thanks, and some good memories right there. Wolfman Jack was an over the top character, and always played the best music, not just the top 40 tunes heard on the AM dial. You bet I was digging the Midnight Special shows on TV then. Good music for sure. Remember when some FM radio stations would play a late night commercial free LP album of some really good bands? All the cool kids (not me, not enough coins) had reel to reel tape players, and they would record complete Beatles, Stones, CSNY, etc. albums for later consumption. Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the Midnight Special post. Just that I don’t run into someone everyday who even knows what an 8 track is. Thanks for the memories.
        Yeah, at my house we only had a basic turntable and low quality speakers. I played my records on it and didn't know any different. Then - a buddy of mine's father was a real audiophile -- reel-to-reel, pre-amp/amp and high quality speakers. I remember the first time I heard it - his dad played us some Pink Floyd through that system and I was astounded.

Comment

Gen X'r / late 80's grad here but recall going through the 8 track / records to cassette era & many of my favorite artists were from my pre-teen years in regards to the classic rock & country stages...the 80's pop / rap crazy made me barf.

Early MTV being only rock was our badge of honer.

I like all forms of music in some sense but disco & rap are like ear poison to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            Yeah, at my house we only had a basic turntable and low quality speakers. I played my records on it and didn't know any different. Then - a buddy of mine's father was a real audiophile -- reel-to-reel, pre-amp/amp and high quality speakers. I remember the first time I heard it - his dad played us some Pink Floyd through that system and I was astounded.

Whoa! He had a reel to reel ! Whata lucky feller yall were.

I had a bud that had the same. It was the ultimate sound experience (short of a concert) for a Friday or Saturday late night. And I had forgotten all about the Midnight Special till you brought this thread up . Think there was a couple more music series like that back then. MS seemed to have run the longest. Prob because Wolfman Jack had connections.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Probably some good old Toby speakers? Reel to reel is still the best audio experience, imo. Like taking a leisurely walk through the garden. Take in all the audio sights and sounds. Greatness.

The Midnight Special was greatness. Just for some perspective, there were only five, yes that's 5, t.v. stations. No music video's, no YouTube, none of the things that i'm so old i don't even know are out there now. If you wanted see a band, a lot of times the Midnight Special was your only chance. Good times.

Comment

Watched it quite a bit until my Mustang/Camaro/Chevelle started keeping me out late on Friday nights. Same for SNL, caught the first two seasons then always seemed to be out with friends or working after that. Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert are great to watch on YouTube, definately a trip down memory lane. A lot of the acts sounded much different live than recorded.

Stu

Comment

I like me some Richard Pryor. "I'm only the janitor here" or "It felt like a wet q-tip "

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Will have to check it out, yea the younguns of today don't know how good they got it! 8-tracks and am radios, shoot KOMA wouldn't even come in out in west Texas until 8 or 9 at night on good nights.

Comment

Well...… shine a light on me...…………………
                      You know, I was there...………..
                      Now THAT was music...………………………
                      Remember it well...…..thanks jerp………………...

Comment

Watch this one Stevie Knicks and Fleetwood Mac doing Rhiannon

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZI62qNmScc"]Fleetwood Mac - RHIANNON Live on the Midnight Special 1976 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Grew up with it. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Gen X'r / late 80's grad here but recall going through the 8 track / records to cassette era & many of my favorite artists were from my pre-teen years in regards to the classic rock & country stages...the 80's pop / rap crazy made me barf.

Early MTV being only rock was our badge of honer.

I like all forms of music in some sense but disco & rap are like ear poison to me.
                            I graduated in ‘88. I remember records and 8 tracks like it was yesterday. Cassettes came out that was so cool. Auto reverse

Comment

In college back in 77...I had a roomate that had a cassette player that would physically pull out the cassette swap it over and put it back in to play the other side. I do remember the Midnight special though.

Comment

Working...
                              X