Streamlight stinger Equivalent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streamlight stinger Equivalent ?

I’ve had a couple of stingers over the years. Was wondering if anybody knew of something equivalent that might be a bit cheaper? I’m looking for one that comes with a truck charger. I use it just about every night tracking, so I need it on a charger all the time. Thanks, Brice

Nothing compares.... imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you mainly use it for tracking, I personally would go with our 40KAP headlamp. It puts out more lumens then the Stinger and can shine much further. The Stinger shines 251 yards and the 40KAP shines 800 yards. For tracking it's more about the light at close ranges and what you don't want is a very bright hot spot in the center of the beam like the Stinger has. Our 40KAP when tracking in full flood beam will have the same brightness throughout the beam and makes finding blood easier. Our 40KAP will not dim at all through the life of the batteries and will run for over 4 hours at full power. It also has a full dimmer on it so you can run it at any brightness you want. Yes you will spend more on it then the stinger as it will cost $129.99 and that includes the charger that you can charge the batteries while still in the headlamp from a A/C outlet or from your vehicles 12V DC outlet. If your against a headlamp, then our 38LRX is the way to go as it's a little smaller then the Stinger but is brighter and shines further. The 38LRX with two batteries and charger is $129.99 and batteries can be charged from a A/C outlet or your vehicles 12V DC outlet. The charger is a fast charger and can charge both batteries in less then 2.5 hours when the batteries are fully drained, it can charge one battery in under 2 hours. The 38LRX only uses one battery at a time. I guarantee you will not find a farther shining headlamp on the market then our 40KAP and you wont find a farther shining handheld light then our 38LRX for it's size and it will shine farther then most lights much bigger then it. We also give 10% off to TBH members, just send me a PM and I will send the 10% off coupon code. The other great thing about our lights is the color they emit can easily be changed from red to green to white to IR. The 38LRX is also easily convertible to our 50LRX and 66LRX lights by buying our 50LRX or 66LRX head for it. If you take off the 38LRX head and put on the 66LRX head, the light in white will shine 1300 yards.

Here are links to both lights
      40KAP head lamp
      38LRX flashlgiht

Comment

^^ How heavy is the headlight? I recently got into wearing a petzl last year and I don't even notice it. That looks a tad bulkier

Comment

Hunting and working in Aviation MX. LED Stream-light Stinger is the BEST

Comment

For tracking I use the 40 KAP headlamp. It is somewhat on the heavy side (Weighs about 14 ounces with 2 18650 batteries. Well balanced with about 6 ounces at the head and 6 ounces at the battery pack). It is , by far, the best tracking light I have ever used.

Comment

Zebra light with 18650 battery although it doesn’t have built in charger

Comment

I work nights, I carry three lights. My primary is a Fenix PD35

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  ^^ How heavy is the headlight? I recently got into wearing a petzl last year and I don't even notice it. That looks a tad bulkier
                  First off let me say sorry about this long winded post but I feel it's needed because so many people by lights by how many lumens they are listed at and/or run times and that is a bad way to buy a light because about 99% of the LED lights on the market today flat out lie about lumens, Petzl is not one of them. Lumens will never tell you how far a light can shine. I explain about run times below.

The 40KAP is 14 ounces with the batteries. If you just looking for a headlamp to light up your way for walking at night then the Petzl is a decent way to go. If you want one for tracking, skinning animals at night, scanning fields for hunting or pretty much everything else then the 40KAP is the light.

The 40KAP is no doubt bulkier then the Petzl but what good is a tracking headlamp that is small and lightweight that doesn't pick up blood very good and or dims as the batteries drain. A good tracking light should never have a hot spot in the center of the beam or dims as the battery(s) drain, if it does, that hot spot will make it hard to see blood and as it dims it will be even harder to see blood. Any light that uses a reflector will have a hot spot in the center of the beam.

I design all our lights. I designed the 40KAP to be the best blood tracking headlamp on the market. I've seen most lights on the market and did a ton of blood tracking and the 40KAP is easily the best headlamp I've used. I would never buy a headlamp for tracking that runs on 3 AAA batteries. 3 AAA batteries don't have the power to run a high power LED for more then 1 hour at max power without dimming considerably. In fact, most headlamps on the market that run off 3 AAA batteries will start dimming within a couple of minutes of turning them on with brand new batteries. Most don't notice the dimming right away because it's gradually dimming but you would notice if you turned on another Petzl that had fully charged batteries and looked at them side by side. When they list run times and lumens, they are only telling the lumens with fully charged batteries, not what the lumens are after it's been on a little while. For example, one headlamp might say 400 lumens with a 8 hour run time. What they are not telling you is after the light has been on for 10 minutes it's putting out 350 lumens, after 30 minutes it's putting out 300 lumens, after 1 hour it's putting out 200 lumens, at 7 hours it's putting out 30 lumens. Due you really want to be on a blood trail for a couple of hours with a headlamp like this. With the 40KAP, it's the same brightness at 3.5 hours of running as it was with the batteries fully charged.

I'm not saying the Petzl headlamps are not a good light, just they are not designed as a tracking light and wouldn't even be in my top 50 for a tracking light.

There is a reason our lights have been basically copied by well over a 100 companies over the years but they almost always fail in making them as good as ours because there are a few tricks I have up my sleeve that I will never tell. Don't believe me, try to find another headlamp on the market that can shine 800 yards in white, I can't find one but if you do, I bet it will cost a heck of a lot more then ours and I bet you can't change the color it emits. The 40KAP that emits green light shines 874 yards and I know there isn't a headlamp on the market that can even come close to that at any price.

We sell so many 40KAP headlamps that we just ran out of stock as I was typing this but should have more available in about 2 weeks.

Please note that if you bought one of our 40KAP headlamps prior to 4-22-2020 in Green or White, it will not shine as far as our current Green or White because we came out with new Green and White LED modules for them. If you want to upgrade to the new green or white, they can be bought on our website on our Light Accessories page for $29.99 each, just look for the 40KAP LED module. The old green would shine about 470 yards and white about 550 yards. That means you will add about 250 yards to the white and 400 yards to the green if you get the upgraded modules. Please note that the new white is the same brightness in flood beams as the old white but shines 250 yards farther when in full spot beam. How many companies do you know that make upgraded LED's for their lights instead of making you buy a whole new light to get better performance. We do it with all our lights when we can. In fact you could have one of our old discontinued 30LR, 50LR 66LR lights that you bought all the way back in 2013 and now get the upgraded LED modules for it and it will shine just as far as our current LRX lights. We have had about 4 upgrades with the LED modules since 2013. For example, the 66LR in 2013 would shine about 840 yards in white, now with the new white LED module it will shine about 1300 yards. Old Red about 513 yards and now about 750 yards.

If anyone wants to learn more, just give me(Rob) a call at 916-276-1385 and I can explain everything much better and answer any questions you might have. I've been designing LED lights for 13 years so I know a little about LED lights. I know all the latest LED technology and what it takes to build the best LED light for it's intended purpose. I never pressure anyone to buy, In fact, if I don't think one of our lights is the best light for you, I will tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Zebra light with 18650 battery although it doesn’t have built in charger
                    I have this as my hunting headlamp.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                      First off let me say sorry about this long winded post but I feel it's needed because so many people by lights by how many lumens they are listed at and/or run times and that is a bad way to buy a light because about 99% of the LED lights on the market today flat out lie about lumens, Petzl is not one of them. Lumens will never tell you how far a light can shine. I explain about run times below.

The 40KAP is 14 ounces with the batteries. If you just looking for a headlamp to light up your way for walking at night then the Petzl is a decent way to go. If you want one for tracking, skinning animals at night, scanning fields for hunting or pretty much everything else then the 40KAP is the light.

The 40KAP is no doubt bulkier then the Petzl but what good is a tracking headlamp that is small and lightweight that doesn't pick up blood very good and or dims as the batteries drain. A good tracking light should never have a hot spot in the center of the beam or dims as the battery(s) drain, if it does, that hot spot will make it hard to see blood and as it dims it will be even harder to see blood. Any light that uses a reflector will have a hot spot in the center of the beam.

I design all our lights. I designed the 40KAP to be the best blood tracking headlamp on the market. I've seen most lights on the market and did a ton of blood tracking and the 40KAP is easily the best headlamp I've used. I would never buy a headlamp for tracking that runs on 3 AAA batteries. 3 AAA batteries don't have the power to run a high power LED for more then 1 hour at max power without dimming considerably. In fact, most headlamps on the market that run off 3 AAA batteries will start dimming within a couple of minutes of turning them on with brand new batteries. Most don't notice the dimming right away because it's gradually dimming but you would notice if you turned on another Petzl that had fully charged batteries and looked at them side by side. When they list run times and lumens, they are only telling the lumens with fully charged batteries, not what the lumens are after it's been on a little while. For example, one headlamp might say 400 lumens with a 8 hour run time. What they are not telling you is after the light has been on for 10 minutes it's putting out 350 lumens, after 30 minutes it's putting out 300 lumens, after 1 hour it's putting out 200 lumens, at 7 hours it's putting out 30 lumens. Due you really want to be on a blood trail for a couple of hours with a headlamp like this. With the 40KAP, it's the same brightness at 3.5 hours of running as it was with the batteries fully charged.

I'm not saying the Petzl headlamps are not a good light, just they are not designed as a tracking light and wouldn't even be in my top 50 for a tracking light.

There is a reason our lights have been basically copied by well over a 100 companies over the years but they almost always fail in making them as good as ours because there are a few tricks I have up my sleeve that I will never tell. Don't believe me, try to find another headlamp on the market that can shine 800 yards in white, I can't find one but if you do, I bet it will cost a heck of a lot more then ours and I bet you can't change the color it emits. The 40KAP that emits green light shines 874 yards and I know there isn't a headlamp on the market that can even come close to that at any price.

We sell so many 40KAP headlamps that we just ran out of stock as I was typing this but should have more available in about 2 weeks.

Please note that if you bought one of our 40KAP headlamps prior to 4-22-2020 in Green or White, it will not shine as far as our current Green or White because we came out with new Green and White LED modules for them. If you want to upgrade to the new green or white, they can be bought on our website on our Light Accessories page for $29.99 each, just look for the 40KAP LED module. The old green would shine about 470 yards and white about 550 yards. That means you will add about 250 yards to the white and 400 yards to the green if you get the upgraded modules. Please note that the new white is the same brightness in flood beams as the old white but shines 250 yards farther when in full spot beam. How many companies do you know that make upgraded LED's for their lights instead of making you buy a whole new light to get better performance. We do it with all our lights when we can. In fact you could have one of our old discontinued 30LR, 50LR 66LR lights that you bought all the way back in 2013 and now get the upgraded LED modules for it and it will shine just as far as our current LRX lights. We have had about 4 upgrades with the LED modules since 2013. For example, the 66LR in 2013 would shine about 840 yards in white, now with the new white LED module it will shine about 1300 yards. Old Red about 513 yards and now about 750 yards.

If anyone wants to learn more, just give me(Rob) a call at 916-276-1385 and I can explain everything much better and answer any questions you might have. I've been designing LED lights for 13 years so I know a little about LED lights. I know all the latest LED technology and what it takes to build the best LED light for it's intended purpose. I never pressure anyone to buy, In fact, if I don't think one of our lights is the best light for you, I will tell you.
                      Appreciate the post. I definitely don't use the petzl for anything other than just shining my way to or from the stand at dark.

Using it has shown me that headlights are handy and I can tell it's going to be a gateway to a style of lights I've never given much thought.

And so we're not going completely off topic on the OP... All my regular flashlights are LED stingers.

Comment

Worse thing you can do to any rechargeable device is to leave it in the charger after it reaches full charge. That's a sure way to kill a battery.

What's wrong with your old stingers? May be easy to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                          Worse thing you can do to any rechargeable device is to leave it in the charger after it reaches full charge. That's a sure way to kill a battery.

What's wrong with your old stingers? May be easy to fix.
                          Probably what you just stated. I would leave them on the charger whenever they weren’t being used. But I need another setup for the new ranch ride we have.

Comment

Originally posted by thedosranchhand View Post
                            Probably what you just stated. I would leave them on the charger whenever they weren’t being used. But I need another setup for the new ranch ride we have.
                            The Stinger will only run about 1 1/2 hrs on high power. The shortness of runtime is because of that 1500mah battery powering it. The original Stingers had NiCad battery sticks that were honestly terrible. The newer NiMH battery sticks have a much better life but no real increase in runtime. The real nice thing about the NiMh's is they don't go dead just sitting there like the NiCads will.

A light with a Li-ion 18650 at 3000mah will double that runtime in the same brightness.

One with a Li-Ion 26650 battery at 5200mah will be 3.47 times that at the same brightness.

Yes you need a special LI-Ion charger but these batteries hold a charge for months. It's easy to carry a spare.

Look at lights that take 18650 or 26650 batteries. It's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                              The Stinger will only run about 1 1/2 hrs on high power. The shortness of runtime is because of that 1500mah battery powering it. The original Stingers had NiCad battery sticks that were honestly terrible. The newer NiMH battery sticks have a much better life but no real increase in runtime. The real nice thing about the NiMh's is they don't go dead just sitting there like the NiCads will.

A light with a Li-ion 18650 at 3000mah will double that runtime in the same brightness.

One with a Li-Ion 26650 battery at 5200mah will be 3.47 times that at the same brightness.

Yes you need a special LI-Ion charger but these batteries hold a charge for months. It's easy to carry a spare.

Look at lights that take 18650 or 26650 batteries. It's worth it.
                              I have been using 18650 lights for several years as my patrol lights. I started using 26650 and think that is a fairly nice leap in fun time and output.

I haven’t used my issue Stinger in about 15 years and many officers that I work with buy their own flashlights. We are looking to get away from Stingers. We went to the Ultra Stingers not long ago and they seem to be a great improvement in reliability.

Still, my 26650 Fenix lights leave them behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X