Rain catchment experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain catchment experts

I’m building a rain catchment system for my place this weekend and I have a question for you experts. Does the roof angle or roof shape affect the amount of collection if the sq footage of the roof is the same? I’m trying to decide if a straight slanted roof would collect the same amount of water as say an “A” shaped roof or a “V” shaped roof.

Don't know that it makes a difference or not just the way my brain operates, I would have to face the catchment surface into the direction your prevailing big rainmakers come from, for me that would be SW, mainly because a lot of our big rains come with enough wind to be near sideways.

Comment

Maybe try DYI forum?
      I am curious as I am building a shop.
      I plan on a big catch system.
      Pm’Ed you

Big pig

Comment

Yes. If you had a 10’x10’ piece of sheet metal and it was standing vertical, your roof would only be the equal to the width of the sheet metal. That’s an extreme, but now imagine tilting it at a 45°- you still wouldn’t be utilizing the full 100sqft footprint.

Images on this site explain it much better than me:

Comment

Thanks for the input Patton. I’m gearing up to start this weekend so hopefully I’ll have all the kinks worked out by then.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
            Thanks for the input Patton. I’m gearing up to start this weekend so hopefully I’ll have all the kinks worked out by then.
            Take some pictures id like to see how it turns out

Comment

It will catch the same as long as the footprint was the same(as stated earlier) make sure your gutters are sloped and sized to catch and drain water to tanks as that will be what overflows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m working on one I’ll post a picture when I get one. It’s a 8x8 shed roof covering a 7ft live stock tank.

Comment

The catchment systems will have a 40sq ft tin roof(5x4) angled at about 30* facing SW emptying into 2 55gal plastic drums. If my calculations are correct I should be collecting appropriately 25 gallons per inch of rain(0.623x sq footage). I’ll also be reducing the size of the water trough from 55gal to probably 10 to 15 gallon to minimize evaporation. I’ll post up pics when I complete the project. Thanks again for the insight gents.

Comment

It really doesn’t matter how your catching it if it don’t rain and you can’t store if...

Comment

The catchment systems will have a 40sq ft tin roof(5x4) angled at about 30* facing SW emptying into 2 55gal plastic drums. If my calculations are correct I should be collecting appropriately 25 gallons per inch of rain(0.623x sq footage). I’ll also be reducing the size of the water trough from 55gal to probably 10 to 15 gallon to minimize evaporation. I’ll post up pics when I complete the project. Thanks again for the insight gents.
                      5x4= 20 square feet?
                      X .623 = 12.46 gallons / inch of rain.

Without photos I am assuming you catch into a drum, then supply a trough
                      By float.

FWIW I used a 1 gallon dog water dish With float from tractor supply that worked well. Fenced from cattle and pigs.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        5x4= 20 square feet?
                        X .623 = 12.46 gallons / inch of rain.

Without photos I am assuming you catch into a drum, then supply a trough
                        By float.

FWIW I used a 1 gallon dog water dish With float from tractor supply that worked well. Fenced from cattle and pigs.

BP
                        I have 2, 5x4 tin roof pieces (40sp ft) that’ll serve as one catchment system. The water will be collected into a blue plastic barrel which in turn will supply a trough with a float valve. I have the plan in my head just thinking of how to execute my plan lol.

Comment

not too much different. calculate you sq ft on the surface are covered not on the surface of the roof. Also calculate it at 75% efficient based on the measured rainfall and calculated area.

Comment

Unless this roof is for a building, I'd just do a single pitch (is that what it's called?) roof. Why make it harder than it has to be?

Comment

I’m building a rain catchment system for my place this weekend and I have a question for you experts. Does the roof angle or roof shape affect the amount of collection if the sq footage of the roof is the same? I’m trying to decide if a straight slanted roof would collect the same amount of water as say an “A” shaped roof or a “V” shaped roof.
                              A lot of physics involved here.

There was enough rain last night it would not haave mattered.

Comment

Working...
                              X