Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I tried the no till method with peas/soybeans one year and it turned out to be a fail. I doubled the seeding rate and broadcast into the dead standing elbon rye. Then I mowed the rye down on top of the seed....then I went over with a culti-packer. I guess those seeds were just too big and didn't get good seed to soil contact like with a drill.

I've have great luck with it in the fall with smaller seeds....cereal grains/clover/turnips/chicory but the larger summer legumes didn't work for me.

Good luck and keep us updated!
    I have never tried this method before but have read about it and they used a roll crimper. I did not shred because I was afraid the shredder would blow the seed all over and I wanted to keep the oats and wheat stalks as long as possible. I have a pasture roller that weighs 400 pounds and I used it to roll the stalks over the top of the seed and firm up the soil around the seed as well. Actually made a nice looking seed bed, the thatch is quite thick and the seeds are underneath the thatch.

I am hoping this works, by August most of my plots are weed beds. Less soil disruption should help keep new weed seeds from germination.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
      I have never tried this method before but have read about it and they used a roll crimper. I did not shred because I was afraid the shredder would blow the seed all over and I wanted to keep the oats and wheat stalks as long as possible. I have a pasture roller that weighs 400 pounds and I used it to roll the stalks over the top of the seed and firm up the soil around the seed as well. Actually made a nice looking seed bed, the thatch is quite thick and the seeds are underneath the thatch.

I am hoping this works, by August most of my plots are weed beds. Less soil disruption should help keep new weed seeds from germination.
      Was thinking of trying not till with some brown top millet since the seeds are so small. Anyone tried this? I’ll probably throw in a few sunflowers too but not expecting to get many to germinate.

Comment

Got all the plots at “The Cottonmouth” sprayed as well as my dove field. Plots I sprayed a week or so ago are crunchy brown!

Comment

We supposed to get some rain Saturday, I could use it for sure.

Comment

Sprayed 4.5 acres today. A 2 acre main deer plot, a 0.5 acre kill plot, and a 2 acre dove plot.

Here was the main 2ac deer plot a month ago when I mowed off the stubble from last year...

I’ll be tilling and planting in about a week and a half.

The main deer plot mix

The kill plot is 50/50 Alyce clover and aeschynomene

And below is the crazy diverse mix for the dove plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by IkemanTX; 04-15-2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]999689[/ATTACH]

Out of 9 acres of plots I only lost about an acre due to the hogs. The hogs in my area love nutsedge and I have been using a specialty herbicide that targets nutsedge. Takes a lot to kill off nutsedge but I am making gains, but them hogs can rut up some territory.

Is that specialty herbicide sedgehammer? I love that stuff for the yard at the house!

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                Is that specialty herbicide sedgehammer? I love that stuff for the yard at the house!

I have used Sedgehammer in certain areas that have regrowth. I have also used Broadbloom.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                  Was thinking of trying not till with some brown top millet since the seeds are so small. Anyone tried this? I’ll probably throw in a few sunflowers too but not expecting to get many to germinate.

It should work good with enough thatch and some moisture. I rolled over some standing oats after broadcasting a sunflower/pea/milo/millet mix last spring and came up great until it got too dry in the summer. Millet probably grew best out of the mix. Sunflowers and cowpeas germinated well also.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    Sprayed 4.5 acres today. A 2 acre main deer plot, a 0.5 acre kill plot, and a 2 acre dove plot.

Here was the main 2ac deer plot a month ago when I mowed off the stubble from last year...

I’ll be tilling and planting in about a week and a half.

The main deer plot mix

The kill plot is 50/50 Alyce clover and aeschynomene

And below is the crazy diverse mix for the dove plot.

You got a lot going on in your dove mix, I just wish half of that stuff would grow down here. In your area do you have hogs real bad? I would love to try okra but thought the hogs would get after it.
                    My soil is sandy loam and can grow about anything with proper fertilize and ph, AND good rainfall. The downside for me is hogs and rainfall, so I have to plant things that hogs have no interest in eating and plant drought resistant crops.

Comment

You got a lot going on in your dove mix, I just wish half of that stuff would grow down here. In your area do you have hogs real bad? I would love to try okra but thought the hogs would get after it.
                      My soil is sandy loam and can grow about anything with proper fertilize and ph, AND good rainfall. The downside for me is hogs and rainfall, so I have to plant things that hogs have no interest in eating and plant drought resistant crops.

The neighbor to the south runs hog dogs for fun. You’ll get a hog in every now and again, but they typically give our area a WIDE berth.

I won’t mind if hogs do come in from time to time. I’ll just toss out some attractant, borrow a buddy’s suppresses AR with thermal, and fill a freezer!

Our soil is what the locals call black gumbo. Old Blackland prairie. You could plant nails and harvest crowbars.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                        So far it’s my favorite concoction. It was dry as a popcorn fart last year and I held deer all year. And had enough matter to plant fall plot in
                        Did you plant the sunflowers? If so, any info you can give. Kind of early for them to be up, isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by allenshawn1 View Post
                          Did you plant the sunflowers? If so, any info you can give. Kind of early for them to be up, isnt it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                          That was last years pic. I plant black oil in first 2 weeks of May

I have some growing now in a controlled area that are from last years plants. They are up 5-6” from their own reseeding. Typically I get very low regrowth in the fields

Comment

Dairy plots done. Drill loaded with seed again and hope to make it to “The Cottonmouth” this evening
                            Attached Files

Comment

Day #3... we got peas
                              Attached Files

Comment

Got mine plowed this weekend, was short on time so didn’t spray or shred. Just dialed everything under. Will spread seed tomorrow and lightly dusk over the top just enough to cover. Hoping we get some rain tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
                                X