No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove past my dove field today.... looked like someone mowed it! Pulled in, as neighbors cows were bad about getting in and he actually moved them. Nope my steers decided 75 acres of premium grass wasn’t good enough and tore electric fence down. Ate 100% of my 10 week old millet and most sunflowers.... probably a loss

Can’t have &&$%

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
      3 dove plots from our Wise county farm. Planted 6 weeks ago and got really lucky with the rain. First couple weeks we had small rain cells that just happened to hit our place.

First picture is 5 acre field with milo, brown top millet and peredovik sunflowers. Seed was drilled into bare dirt.

Second picture is 1 acre field with brown top millet and native sunflowers. Natives didn’t come up. Seed was broadcast and dragged on bare dirt.

Third picture is 2 acre field milo, millet, peredovik and native sunflowers. Natives didn’t come up much but everything else did. See was broadcast on bare dirt and dragged.

Interested to hear comments. We definitely threw extra seed and I think it shows. Not sure if the density will be a problem. Didn’t use any fertilizer.

Hoping we continue to get good rain and some dove in September!
      Looks good! I planted BTM and WGF sorghum and fertilized 10 days ago and got a good rain on it the next day.

Your's look really thick....are you planning on discing/tilling some strips in it so the doves can land? They like a clean floor to feed on. I may try to burn mine to get a clean floor and expose the seeds to them.

The only reason I can think of your native sunflowers didn't come up was they need to go through a cold/wet season cycle (stratification) in order to germinate (sometimes two cycles). Just disc it this winter and you will probably get some good germination on them next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Drove past my dove field today.... looked like someone mowed it! Pulled in, as neighbors cows were bad about getting in and he actually moved them. Nope my steers decided 75 acres of premium grass wasn’t good enough and tore electric fence down. Ate 100% of my 10 week old millet and most sunflowers.... probably a loss

Can’t have &&$%
        Dang bovines....that's terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Looks good! I planted BTM and WGF sorghum and fertilized 10 days ago and got a good rain on it the next day.

Your's look really thick....are you planning on discing/tilling some strips in it so the doves can land? They like a clean floor to feed on. I may try to burn mine to get a clean floor and expose the seeds to them.

The only reason I can think of your native sunflowers didn't come up was they need to go through a cold/wet season cycle (stratification) in order to germinate (sometimes two cycles). Just disc it this winter and you will probably get some good germination on them next year.
          Yes we plan to mow and disc some strips. Never done it before so we’ll just have to figure it out. Planning mid/late August for that.

Comment

You will know when btm is ready. It’s so thick will probably choke out sunflowers anyway. Just mow strips short and mulch em’ 2 passes over if needed and your good to go.

Talked with a guy this weekend that planted black oil in October! Said they sprouted late feb just like a native would
            They are already 4’ tall. Be mature early... but you can just leave standing

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              You will know when btm is ready. It’s so thick will probably choke out sunflowers anyway. Just mow strips short and mulch em’ 2 passes over if needed and your good to go.

Talked with a guy this weekend that planted black oil in October! Said they sprouted late feb just like a native would
              They are already 4’ tall. Be mature early... but you can just leave standing
              In 2 of the fields we have milo also. It seems to be keeping up with the millet. Will be interesting to see what the peredoviks do and if they can keep up.

Comment

Seed supplier met with a rep yesterday and had me some buckwheat scheduled to be here next Wednesday. I’ll have it on standby for a guaranteed rain. Going to patch heavy grazed area in one plot and completely replant the hilltop plot at cottonmouth for a late planting comparison and some data moving forward.

Comment

I know this is a redundant post but I had fun putting it together so pardon the repeat. Here is an abbreviated tour of some plots along with some blabbering philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    I know this is a redundant post but I had fun putting it together so pardon the repeat. Here is an abbreviated tour of some plots along with some blabbering philosophy.

https://youtu.be/T4mMRBBaNqo
                    Thanks elgato, you contribute so much to this site and I learn something new on each of your videos

Comment

I’m battling some weeds after the rains. Any suggestions on what to spray? Got beans, sunflowers, peas, sunn hemp in the plot

Comment

Originally posted by Greylight318 View Post
                        I’m battling some weeds after the rains. Any suggestions on what to spray? Got beans, sunflowers, peas, sunn hemp in the plot
                        I don’t know if anything. Probably only drawback to a mix, you got to cut off you right arm to same the left one. If it’s ate back or bald at this stage it ain’t gonna make it any way. You could spot spray and spot seed into that thatch. But don’t know if it’s worth the effort

Comment

Planted last week of April. Have brown top millet in mixes in 4 fields. Seeds starting to show. Little earlier than I expected. I guess seeds will probably mature early July and then we should have plenty for the doves to eat in September. For the guys that have planted BT millet, that seem about right?
                          Attached Files

Comment

When I planted it took 100-110 days to make seed

Comment

Somebody mention buckwheat ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great! What’s the thought behind the bald rows? Do you get much/any browse pressure on your buckwheat?

Comment

Working...
                                X