Thumb Release - Misfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumb Release - Misfires

I have a Tru Ball BossX 4 finger model that i picked up a few months back, have probably 150 arrows through it and around 10% of the time I’ll have a misfire during draw. I love the surprise and my groups... yet either my thumb knuckle will accidentally hit it, or after a few 5 or so arrows my shoulder starts to get fatigued and then i pull hard on grip and punch it by accident. (Yes I’ve tried keeping it under the release also)

Should i A: switch to a wrist release like the Spot Hogg wise guy or B: turn down my bow a few pounds and just continue practicing good control?

Anyone interested in a release?

I would try other releases that are more adjustable. If you are fatigued after 5 shots, I would also turn the bow down some.

I shoot a carter chocolate, and have had minimal pre-matures. I had one while letting my bow down and turning my head to talk to me friend behind me. I had another when I was shooting with a new jacket and the trigger hit the collar on the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      I would try other releases that are more adjustable. If you are fatigued after 5 shots, I would also turn the bow down some.

I shoot a carter chocolate, and have had minimal pre-matures. I had one while letting my bow down and turning my head to talk to me friend behind me. I had another when I was shooting with a new jacket and the trigger hit the collar on the jacket.

Noted - thanks for the info. Bow is a VXR 31 with 70# mod, think i need to go to 65# and be more controlled, not afraid to admit that. Will pick up another release also i suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I remember correctly, you can reposition the thumb bar on that release. If so, try it in a different position to see if it helps. I've got two or three different Tru Ball releases and haven't had a problem except for my own mistake. It may be because that's the type of release I started with. You thing I can say is that I turn it so that my thumb is down and my knuckles against my cheek, kind of backwards, but it works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
          If I remember correctly, you can reposition the thumb bar on that release. If so, try it in a different position to see if it helps. I've got two or three different Tru Ball releases and haven't had a problem except for my own mistake. It may be because that's the type of release I started with. You thing I can say is that I turn it so that my thumb is down and my knuckles against my cheek, kind of backwards, but it works for me.

Great call out - i did position the thumb lever when i originally got it to where i “thought” was best for a comfort level, but it may be in a bad position during draw cycle. Maybe I’ll jack with it tonight. And yes that’s how i shoot, knuckle of pointer finger under jaw, knuckle of middle finger above jaw, thumb bent pointed down

Comment

I'd mess around with the thumb peg position and adjust the sensitivity and travel. It shouldn't be firing with a slight bump. The boss x is a fantastic releases with a great sear.

Comment

I put backward pressure on my release as I draw to prevent negligent discharges.
              I'm not sure if that would work in your case with this release but it may be worth a try.
              I agree that fatigue after 5 shots suggests turning the bow down or turning you up (building strength and endurance with practice or working out).

Comment

2 things to consider: (1) keeping your thumb behind your release until you are full draw and settled in to your shot. Must be conscience of thumb location and movement at all times and (2) proper tension on trigger. Smoother the tension the smoother the release of string.

It's just like a rifle- a hard trigger pull helps to throw your aim off- you want butter smooth release for better accuracy. JM2C

Comment

I have a question for you OP, how hard do you come into the back wall of your bow? Reason I ask is cause if the trigger on the tru ball is light enough with a short travel, vibration from hitting the back wall or bouncing into it from a bow that creeps at full draw can actually set it off. I had the same issue with my blade pro, I'd get the bow back every time with no issue but my buddy who muscled the bow into the back wall would make the release fire off. I was kinda curious about this and wanted to see how light I could get the trigger on it. Turned it down so much that I could blow on the trigger with a sharp breath and set it off. Might be good to test it and check. I found out by letting my bow creep and recovering into the back wall. If the release goes off, it's probably too light. My .02 is to keep that release and lower your weight on the bow. IN ADDITION, I would increase PTF (pressure to fire) on your release and ease it down as your draw cycle gets smoothed out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by ChiefWhackABuck; 05-28-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

This was the reason I stopped using a thumb release, at least kind of. I had 2 misfires before I changed. 1st was on a pig. Release hit collar on my jacket. I typically do not have a jacket on when practicing. The 2nd time I was in a ground blind and had pulled back to see if I could pivot to another opening. After those, I changed.

I thought thumb release was great from accuracy and convenience perspective (attached to string). But I just didn't trust it after a misfire. Probably my inexerience.

Comment

Thumb Release - Misfires

Just reading through this thread and have a couple of comments.

As far as setting the position of the thumb button goes: just remember how the release feels in your hand when you are just holding it and when you are at full draw is totally different with a load against it. At full draw the release will move forward in the hand changing the actual location of it if a proper grip is maintained. So in short if it felt good it may not after you lock up at full draw, the change in position can cause problems.

How “hot” the release is set is purely a personal thing but I think setting it too hot can lead to other issue like punching. I have both of my Carters set so that I can load up on the thumb barrel without a discharge. This lets me settle into the shot and engage the release without slapping the barrel.

One of the best things I ever did with handheld was shooting off a piece of string and not off the bow. It is virtually impossible to properly execute a release when you are actually shooting the bow. Try as hard as you want but eventually the mind takes over and starts worrying about aiming, holding steady etc..... shooting off a string fixes this issue since you can’t even entertain anything else. It’s all about the release and the release only, it’s a great teaching tool.

And as previously stated, I wouldn’t address the trigger until at full draw, doing so prematurely is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by muddyfuzzy; 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

I have the same release, and I've had some missfires, but all of them were 100% my fault.

Comment

Working...
                        X