Got Shingles any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Shingles any advice?

Found out Wednesday I have the Shingles. Anyone that has had them have any advice or home remedies? I've had about 6 hours of sleep total in the last 4 days. The rash is on most of the left side of my head/scalp and some on my face. So far it feels like I have a headache constantly that changes in intensity, an ear infection and a dry itchy eye. There is a lot of tingling/burning sensation with the occasional stabbing feeling in some areas.

If you are old enough to get the preventative vaccine I would highly recommend it after dealing with this.

My grandad got it and said it was the worst pain of his life, not trying to scare ya just letting you know. I don’t remember him ever saying anything about a remedy, but I know he couldn’t wear his shirts 80% of the time with his being on his back, because just the cloth brushing it would set it off.

I’ll send some prayers for you

Comment

Y sis in law had it and it was life changing. No advice, just follow doctor’s orders and good luck !

Comment

I've had them. Hope your doc gave you some pills that should help. Good luck. They are way up there on the pain scale.

Comment

Get the vaccine....oh, wait...wrong virus. Never mind.

Sorry man, I just couldn’t resist.
          I really feel for you. I’ve never had the shingles but I do carry the virus. I understand that it’s a bad ordeal. Good luck.

You might think that you're redneck
          But I'm rednecker than you

Comment

Had it about 2 years ago only on my back and only on one side, caught it early and went to the doctor. Think she got me on antibiotics and pain relievers was not to bad, I was only 42. Hope it goes away quickly for ya.
            Last edited by RMW; 07-23-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

How do you get shingles? Just from another person?

Comment

Been there, done that

Follow doctors orders , use OTC Benadryl lotion to stop the itching. Pretty sure I was prescribed 7-10 days of Valtrex ??

Comment

When I was around 50 I had it on the side of my face and top of the head. Kind of looked like Gorbachev. Make sure it doesn't get near your eye as you could lose it. I ended up with damage in one eye to where I can't wear a contact and on occasion it takes on a life of it's own and floats around.

I was prescribed some medication and hydrocodone. I can see why folks get hooked on that stuff. After a couple of weeks it went away.
                  Last edited by famousunknown; 07-23-2021, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matagordian View Post
                    If you ever had chicken pox as a kid, that virus lurks in your system and decades later sprouts up again as shingles. There is a two stage vaccine for it that is very effective

Comment

If you ever had chicken pox, you carry the shingles virus. That is probably the only 2 shot vaccine I have and will ever take as an adult. I have known several people with shingles, and I know I dont want it.

Comment

I went to urgent care because when I had it, it was by my eyes and scalp. Md live online doc prescribe a steroid cream that did not help. So when I went to urgent care doctor took one look said classic shingles. Told me not to use the steroid cream by my eyes as can cause your eyes to swell. Not sure what he prescribe but it did wonders within 24 hrs. I would not wish shingles on anyone that sh*t was painful as all get out

Comment

Was told stress among other things can set it off. I got shingles during the first lockdown of covid when we had to close our business so stress was definitely there.

Comment

Go see the doctor is you havent already. Seriously, shingles in or near your eyes can be serious.

Only thing that worked for me was prescribed nerve blockers like gabapentin and tramidol or hydrocodone.

Comment

The vaccine is worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                              X