No announcement yet.

Camp rattlesnakes question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We kill a few each year, mostly around spring Turkey season is when we see the most movement. The scary thing is that more then 90% of the ones we run into don't rattle at all...... I was trying to attach a pic of the 5 foot monster with 10 & a button that I got within about 4 feet of but for some reason I am never able to attach pics on TBH....... Needless to say you gotta keep your head on a swivel at our place because they will let you walk righ up on em.

Yes we dispatch everyone we see no matter where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
      How not killing them in camp wouldnt decrease the risk of someone getting bitten around camp. Like i said before, I am not saying you are not correct.
      Snakes are mobile, they come and go.
      You could kill em all, and a kid go outside 5 min later and get bit, that's all I'm saying.
      I don't think you could prove it does or doesn't help to be honest.
      These guys have been relocating snakes it sounds like, and not killing them.
      In theory there should be a crapload around camp, and according to OP there is.
      So, has anyone there ever been bitten, kids and adults like?

Comment

I bet they’d feel different if they stepped out at night to take a leak and got hit by one.

Venomous snakes don’t get a pass from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
          I bet they’d feel different if they stepped out at night to take a leak and got hit by one.

Venomous snakes don’t get a pass from me.
          From the sound of it, probably not.
          It wouldn't change my mind, but I might look a little better the next time.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Snakes are mobile, they come and go.

You could kill em all, and a kid go outside 5 min later and get bit, that's all I'm saying.

I don't think you could prove it does or doesn't help to be honest.

These guys have been relocating snakes it sounds like, and not killing them.

In theory there should be a crapload around camp, and according to OP there is.

So, has anyone there ever been bitten, kids and adults like?
            I don't agree with your statement. We have 3 known dens on our ranch. In early spring you will only find rattlers near and around these dens. Snakes from all over migrate to these dens every winter so the more of them we get rid of the fewer know how to get back to our ranch every winter. We have "snake hunters" come out every year and gas the dens. They live capture as many as they can.

Comment

I never kill rattle snakes, figure they got a job to do by keeping the rodent population in check. If you have a lot of snakes at your camp that means only one thing. You got a lot of snake food at camp. There literally is no other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                I don't agree with your statement. We have 3 known dens on our ranch. In early spring you will only find rattlers near and around these dens. Snakes from all over migrate to these dens every winter so the more of them we get rid of the fewer know how to get back to our ranch every winter. We have "snake hunters" come out every year and gas the dens. They live capture as many as they can.
                He didn't mention having a den in camp...
                Snakes are only at the den certain times of the year.
                The rest of the year, they are crawling all over the place.
                Not even sure how killing snakes in a den, relates to killing snakes in camp.
                You might have a snakes from 15 different dens pass through your camp over the course of a yr.

Comment

Shoot um!

Comment

He didn't mention having a den in camp...

Snakes are only at the den certain times of the year.

The rest of the year, they are crawling all over the place.

Not even sure how killing snakes in a den, relates to killing snakes in camp.

You might have a snakes from 15 different dens pass through your camp over the course of a yr.
                    One of the dens is a few hundred yards from our camp. So there will be more snakes on my ranch close to my camphouse than there will be on the neighbors who doesnt have a den. We have a dry creek that runs the length of our ranch. Thats where all the dens are.

Comment

I hunt out of Mertzon as well. All venomous snakes are cobras as far as I am concerned. We have a lot of kids at our place and I don't want to see any of them hit by a snake. Dogs are easy targets for snakes as well. I give my dogs regular anti venom shots and they go to snakeproofing seminars as well.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                        One of the dens is a few hundred yards from our camp. So there will be more snakes on my ranch close to my camphouse than there will be on the neighbors who doesnt have a den. We have a dry creek that runs the length of our ranch. Thats where all the dens are.
                        Gotcha .
                        I can see that working to an extent.
                        Each year they come back are there less snakes in the den?

Comment

I give them a pass too. Part of the ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                            I never kill rattle snakes, figure they got a job to do by keeping the rodent population in check. If you have a lot of snakes at your camp that means only one thing. You got a lot of snake food at camp. There literally is no other reason.
                            This! Anytime you have alot of predators in an area it means prey for them.

Comment

Gotcha .

I can see that working to an extent.

Each year they come back are there less snakes in the den?
                              We sure do our part to make that happen! We've caught some giants!

Comment

Sounds like common sense to me... the more you kill the less you will have over the years! We have killed everyone we see at camp and are seeing less and less... I normally walk camp when I get there with my kids double checking they're normal spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X