No announcement yet.

2021 Summer Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went a week later and saw nothing and few seeds above ground. Looks like spotty green growth on camera 2 weeks out yesteday.

Got 4.5 inches so far today so it will be exploding soon

VERY HAPPY! GOD IS GOOD

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      I went a week later and saw nothing and few seeds above ground. Looks like spotty green growth on camera 2 weeks out yesteday.

Got 4.5 inches so far today so it will be exploding soon

VERY HAPPY! GOD IS GOOD
      Keep us posted on how it does.

Comment

2021 Summer Food Plot

Planted a bag of buckwheat on Monday in a new plot to try and choke out some weeds. Broadcast cowpeas today into the clover/rye/wheat/vetch mix and rolled it down to cover the seed. I was going to spray after knocking it down but it supposed to rain this evening so I plan to spray in the next couple days before germination.

Last edited by Mountaineer; 05-01-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Where did you get the crimper at?

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
            Where did you get the crimper at?

Comment

Man I really like that crimper. Does it kill the plot or just lay it over?

I am disappointed with my plot, we got 7 inches of rain so it should explode but my germination rate looks to be 30-40%. We will see after this rain, but looks like alot did not come up

Comment

I’m planting Hancock Seed’s Summer Buckshot

Soybean
                Iron Clay Cow Peas
                WGF Sorghum
                Brown Top Millet
                Trucker's Favorite White Dent Corn
                Sunflowers

I mowed down the fall plot 2 weeks ago and will be planting with minimum tillage later this week. Spray down, spread seed, lightly disk with coulters almost completely straight.

Here was the fall plot when I mowed it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mostly lays it over. Will kill soft stems like clover and should work good on buckwheat and makes it real easy to spray when it's knocked down since I use a backpack sprayer right now.

Comment

I am disappointed with my plot, we got 7 inches of rain so it should explode but my germination rate looks to be 30-40%. We will see after this rain, but looks like alot did not come up
                    Might not have been enough moisture to make them germinate before then. You might be looking alright in a few weeks

Comment

My plot was under 7 ft of water. Talk about depressing.

Comment

Our whitetail clover in Missouri. We reseeded another and worked on clearing another area this past weekend. Come on Sept 15th

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                          Might not have been enough moisture to make them germinate before then. You might be looking alright in a few weeks
                          Kinda what I am hoping for. Maybe the best areas or low areas are what sprouted.

I am seeing more and more green each day on my wireless activity. No deer action yet

Comment

Kinda what I am hoping for. Maybe the best areas or low areas are what sprouted.

I am seeing more and more green each day on my wireless activity. No deer action yet

My summer plots last year looked abysmal until probably early july. I planted a 20 species blend last year with 3 days of rain forecasted right after. The forecast fell through and the plot didn’t get a drop for almost a month. Thank goodness I didn’t just go with large legumes, because the drought tolerant stuff is what saved me. The Sunn hemp, flax, safflower, and okra are about all that germinated. Luckily, they grew enough to make for a good thatch over top of the fall mix.

Comment

How did the deer take to the okra? Was looking at that for my mix, but held off this year.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                                How did the deer take to the okra? Was looking at that for my mix, but held off this year.

I noticed several okra plants browsed, but my deer density is abysmally low so finding browse on anything is difficult. I planted the okra in the mix primarily for its compaction breaking, deep tap root, and drought tolerance... any browse I got out of it was just extra.
                                I know of a few people in higher deer density areas who have to fence the okra in their garden to protect it from deer so with enough exposure to it, it will become a frequently hit plant in a plot for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X