MAPs Dove Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAPs Dove Club

I decided to create a thread for a piece of property that I'm going to develop into my dream place. Its in south Texas, mostly farm land with some of the best dove hunting around. I'm doing this in part for myself, to make sure I follow through with certain plans that I post here. Also to have a time frame that I can look back at over the years and see what progress I've made. This will be a long drawn out project that I'm going to enjoy and appreciate each step of.

Below is a picture of one of our 50 year old barns that I took last year. This thing was very well built and is still in wonderful shape.
    Attached Files

My overall projects for this place include = new fencing, dig out a 2 acre pond, create another 1/2 acre pond, drill water well, plant LOTS of trees, create brush lines, plant native brush in motts, run water lines, create irrigated plots, improve game bird numbers, raise exotics for live sales, expand the size of the overall property, and make sure this place stays in my family for another 100 years.

I've already had some mulching done of regrowth brush in the old pond, I'll post pictures and video soon. I also recently bought several trees and will keep them in containers until this fall.

Comment

Good Luck! Sounds like a fun & rewarding goal!

Comment

The first 2 pictures are the old overgrown pond, taken from the front looking to the back. The last picture is taken from the back looking to the front. The mulcher really did a good job. This will be the biggest project for a while, digging out the old pond and turning it into a fishing hotspot.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MAP; 05-14-2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I’m in!

Looking forward to following along.

Comment

A few of the cool trail camera photos I got this year after just a few days.

On this place, I'm not going to focus on the native deer herd but they will benefit from everything that I'm doing. The last picture is a deer that I never saw in person and he disappeared before gun season. There are some good genetics in the area, but I've only killed 2 bucks out here over the years.
            Attached Files

Comment

In for the transformation. Good luck.

Comment

Its been awhile since I posted on this thread, but its been right at a year since I started this thread and I've done alot.

For starters I put up a new high fence
                Had the main pond dug out and it was filled last week with a 5" rain
                Had a smaller pond built in the back corner of the place for dove, turkey
                Have planted trees but still have ALOT to do
                Also planted shrubs along the fence line in bare spots

The front of the pond is to wet to walk to for pictures so I'll post some of them in a few days. The pictures I'm posting are from the back of the pond. There is still alot of stuff that I'm wanting to do to the pond, so around October after dove and teal season, I'm going to pump out the water and hopefully let it dry up. I'm wanting to make it deeper, add rock and more habitat, also make the island alittle taller and really compact.

When the pond was dug, it was so clean and pretty it was really hard for me to make fish structure down in it. I felt like I was "dumping trash" and talked myself out of it several times. But I have plans to add big tractor tires, build a fence like structure, add big tree stumps, piles of brush, and bring in a few belly dump loads of river rock or pea gravel with maybe a load of bigger rocks.

It currently looks like a great fishing hole. Parts of me want to start adding bait fish, but I'm going to wait and instead pump out all of the water after dove/teal season. Hopefully this winter we wont get a massive rain and the pond will stay dry. I'm going to do the additional work and will be ready when the next big rain comes. I will however add a few hundred pounds of crawfish to get them going. I think they will dig in the mud and not all of them will be killed when the tank is drained and more dirt is pushed out.

I had a D7 come out and he did a great job. In the pictures you can see the island which is about 12 foot tall from the bottom of the pond. You can also see a burn pile of brush, a pile of clay, and a pile of top soil that was all pushed out. There is a canal of water between the island and those piles, that is where most of the pea gravel and river rock will go. I will also have a cabana with outdoor fireplace built up there and a pier/walk way connecting it to the land on the left of the picture.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm having a really hard time put pictures on this thread, I dont know why, I'll post more in a few days.

Here is part of the new high fence. The milk weed will be a lifetime battle on the fence, it has been on trees and bushes over the years. I had the fence offset 20 feet from the property line because there is a road there. I'm hoping the brush keeps growing and I will help it out as much as I can. I dont want anybody to be able to see into the place from the road, that will take alot of time. I've started planting lantana, Japanese primrose, and something else I cant think of right now. Its all suppose to be drought tolerant and grow 6+ feet tall and wide. I've been watering everything with a 250 gallon tank but this big rain recently sure has helped.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Congrats! That is coming along beautifully!

Comment

Looking good!

Do you farm it yourself or have someone else? What are you planting for doves this year?

Comment

How many coveys of quail have you seen?

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Working...
                              X