Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 07-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan
Default Trad Vane 2-Fletch

After my experience at this springs Chester shoot, I'm thinking about making a 1/2 doz arrows with Trad Vane. To assure I don't have any contact issues, was thinking about trying 2-fletch instead of 3. Plus, since the Trad Vanes weigh more than feathers it would keep total weight closer to the same.

I normally use 3x4" feathers. Would go with 2x5" Trad Vane to get a tad more vane for better steering.

Thoughts before I waste my time and money appreciated.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
tradman
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I had a dozen arrows built a couple weeks ago and had a couple made with 4x4" trad vanes. I shoot off the shelf and have had no issues with contact at all. I did notice that trad vanes seem to be a lower profile than my normal truflite fletchings. I'm not saying that 2 trad vanes wouldn't work, but you may be over thinking it.
tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
SJP51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard, Bryan

Over thinking. Yeah, I've done that from time to time!

Assuming I went with 2x5", would likely be adequate to replace 3x4" feathers?
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
tradman
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I have no experience with 2 fletch, but my comment was more directed at the low profile of trad vanes. but I would think that if it flies good bare shaft, then two evenly placed trad vanes wouldn't hurt anything. I don't know if fletch tape works on trad vanes as far as adhesion is concerned, but that would be a temporary solution that wouldn't mess with your shaft while you were testing
tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
BernieH
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason County

I don't know anything about trad vanes. I do know that fletching height is more important than fletching length and I suspect that is true regardless of fletching material.
BernieH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #6
TradAg02
Ten Point

Iíve shot exclusively trad vanes (4 - 3Ē) since they were developed. Though they may be heavier, they hit higher than my feathered shafts. I shot off of the shelf without issue (sweptwing), though I am currently shooting off of a rest (satori).

Iím not sure that 2 - 5Ē would have the results you are looking for.

While I initially picked up trad vanes for the wet weather benefits, the noise reduction (both in flight and in my quiver) and the ability to throw my bow in the backseat without having to worry about my feathers getting messed up is why I switched completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #7
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

4” x 4 parabolic on 90 degrees works best for me. Quiet and plenty of surface area for stability.
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2021, 04:39 AM   #8
Tradhunter97
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East TX
Default Trad vane

Iíve shot trad vanes for a few months now, Iíve been fletching em just like my other arrows (3 fletch x 4Ē) with no contact issues. Assuming youíre arrows are tuned to the bow contact with the shelf should be minimal. Havenít noticed any bad flight yet. I have also fletched some cheap arrows with only two fletch helical in an effort to save feathers/vanes and didnít notice much difference. Again, as long as the arrows are tuned well you shouldnít have any issues either way.
Tradhunter97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top