Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #1
Cazador
Ten Point

Default I got a ticket rant...

So Iíve got a little Toyota pickup that sits in the driveway for the most part. The registration went out in Sept and at the time a brake light was out. I got around to getting it fixed and inspected in November and I renewed the registration Dec 6th. I was issued an 11 sticker, I guess because thatís when it was inspected. I slap the sticker on the windshield and file the paperwork with my tax papers.

The next day Iím on my way home from my sonís basketball game, driving the Toyota since it hasnít been on the road in a while. Iím in the right lane and I see flashing lights ahead, I signal and move over one lane and check my speed, all good. The trooper kills his lights then pulls out and follows behind me, the next thing I know his lights are flashing again and heís pulling me over. Iím thinking hmm, I wonder if that brake light is out again.

The trooper comes to the window and proceeds to tell me that he stopped me for an expired registration. Oh, no sir, that canít be, I just renewed it the other day (I really couldnít remember what day I did it, I just knew it was that week, old age is a *****!). I showed him the sticker and I think he was puzzled about it being ď11Ē and me insisting that I had just registered it. He asked if I had my receipt, ďno sir, itís at the houseĒ. The first time I ever stick that sticker on the same day I got it and it bites me in the butt! Had I not stuck it on Iíd still have the receipt in the truck. He then tells me heís going to ďhaveĒ to write me up and Iíll just have to go to the court house and theyíll dismiss it. Well thatís kind of a pain in the *** for me.

I take a long lunch and bring all of the paperwork in. The clerk asks if I paid the penalty for getting a ticket when I registered it. No maíam, I registered it the day BEFORE I got the ticket. Oh, did you not have the window sticker? Oh, yes maíam, it was in place. And he still wrote you a ticket? Yes maíam, he said it wasnít updated in the system. Hmm, I think the judge will dismiss it but you may have to pay a $22 dismissal fee. Thatís a state fee and we canít waive it. Let me make copies of all of your paperwork and Iíll see what she says and call you next week.

So I get the call... we can dismiss the ticket but youíll have to pay the dismissal fee. You wonít have to come back here, you can just pay it over the phone with a credit card. Thereís a $5.95 convenience fee for using a card. You can come back here to pay it if you donít want to use a card, but we donít take cash or personal checks, youíll have to bring a money order or cashierís check.

So not only do I have to pay $22 to dismiss a ticket that I shouldnít have been written I have to pay $5.95 to use a credit card or take more time off work to go get and pay for a money order or cashierís check and take it to the court house. Personally I think thatís a crock of ****! In this day and age ďsystemsĒ are updated instantly. The lady that takes care of our fleet vehicles says she goes to renew registration as soon as the trucks are inspected and theyíve already got them updated, same day and at times within an hour. I think somebody dropped the ball updating my registration. But even at that there should be a way to drop fees when a ticket is not justified. I could see if I was driving with an expired registration or maybe even if I didnít have the sticker on my windshield, but I did everything I was supposed to do as I was supposed to do it!

Rant over. Thanks!
Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
Hooverfb
Eight Point

Systems for govt are horrible. I got a jury duty letter from ohio to my newly bought house in Texas... when I called they said oh you are still registered to vote. Told them I haven't lived there in 5years now, so if they have me as registered to vote theyve got bigger problems. Told me there's nothing they can do about it and hung up.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
fishinguy
Four Point

what a PITA
fishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #4
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I would be mad too
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
kparker158
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public and Private Lands of East Texas

Sucks, but I wouldn’t be wasting negative energy on it. Brighter things happen in life that I’d be focused on.
kparker158 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
jds247
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

That's the one's that give cops a bad name.. he wasn't sharp enough to read the sticker like they did before having computers in their car.
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
-HIC-
Eight Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

I am mad for you. Did not make it past line 4, but hope it is dismissed.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 AM   #8
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

That is a pain in the butt. Not much you can do about it though. What comes around goes around. Someday,somewhere,somebody might step out of their vehicle and they'll do the exact opposite of get wrote a ticket. I wouldn't doubt it.

Karma is a mother bear sometimes.

Not wishing bad on anyone. But in this day and age there is enough people that hate cops out there. They don't need the extra help. Somebody should tell that guy.

Last edited by okrattler; 01-11-2019 at 12:48 AM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooverfb View Post
Systems for govt are horrible. I got a jury duty letter from ohio to my newly bought house in Texas... when I called they said oh you are still registered to vote. Told them I haven't lived there in 5years now, so if they have me as registered to vote theyve got bigger problems. Told me there's nothing they can do about it and hung up.
Can you find out if a ballot was cast under your registration for the last 5 years?
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #10
tvc184
Pope & Young

Not updated in the system?

That might be one of the most stupid excuses for a citation ever.

All these years I thought that the burden of proof was on the state but apparently I misunderstood the law. You have to pay to prove that no crime was committed.

I guess that you were lucky that he did not write you a running a stop sign ticket, even if there was no stop sign in the area, and you would have to go prove that you were not guilty.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #11
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

you better hope they get the government back up and running so they can get our 'services' turned back on....

the only thing more frustrating to me than government is the government workers' attitudes.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I think that would pizz me off just enough to go to court over.
You did not break any law, you had clearly paid for new registration regardless what any system malfunctions might be saying.
There are not many things that pizz me off like the DMV
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #13
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

That's BS!! I'd tell them I'm pleading not guilty. Set a trial date. I'm not paying a ticket dismissal fee for something like this.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #14
gb22250
Six Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Sounds like a bad citation to me and in my opinion should never be written under those circumstances, but I’m just a very low man on the totem pole so I carry no weight. Also, I don’t work for DPS so don’t know their policies.

You might be out the money unfortunately but I would at least try to get in touch with his supervisor, if possible, so he and whoever else can be retrained. The supervisor may refer you to a formal complaint process. I would do this so it doesn’t keep happening.
gb22250 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #15
postman
Ten Point

A money grab that's all it is, all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
PEC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
You did not break any law, you had clearly paid for new registration regardless what any system malfunctions might be saying.
This.^^^...go to court just out of principle. Make that trooper show up and face a judge or jury and explain his stupid actions. No way on GODs green earth I would just pay it.
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #17
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC View Post
This.^^^...go to court just out of principle. Make that trooper show up and face a judge or jury and explain his stupid actions. No way on GODs green earth I would just pay it.
My thoughts exactly

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #18
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
That's BS!! I'd tell them I'm pleading not guilty. Set a trial date. I'm not paying a ticket dismissal fee for something like this.
If you can really do this, I would too. I am pro police, but that is total BS. What did they do before computers?
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #19
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Yeap, boot trooper screwed the pooch
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #20
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

You still have the ticket?

It will have his name or number on it. Find out who his superior is and file a complaint. Might hit him in the pocket book when it comes time for a raise.

I am like others too, burn some of their time and make him look like an idiot in front of the court
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #21
deerplanter
Ten Point

Why even have us put stickers on our window if they only go by what's in their system and info in the system is only as good as who's entering it. I would take it to court on principal but I've got plenty of PTO that I could use.
deerplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #22
Wits_End
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb22250 View Post
You might be out the money unfortunately but I would at least try to get in touch with his supervisor, if possible, so he and whoever else can be retrained. The supervisor may refer you to a formal complaint process. I would do this so it doesnít keep happening.

If you went to court it would be way more pita, I would have just paid at that time. But it would not be the last that they would hear from me. Formal complaint is the route I would take.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #23
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Wow brother. That is not right on several different levels. Don’t lump everyone in same group is all I can ask. I would imagine you would have a hard time finding another LE to issue that ticket and also find another court that would not make it right
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #24
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Well that really sucks! The problem is anyone you talk to in the system is going to care or do anything about it.

The whole registration/ inspection system is a racket.
TXHunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #25
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Man that sucks.
I want to tell you to fight it, but also understand that it would most likely cost you more in the long run.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Guilty until proven innocent nowadays. And even if proven innocent, they still want money.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #27
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I would plead not guilty and request a jury trial. No fees to you for that and it cost the county a lot more than $20 some odd bucks to send out all the jury summons.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I can't fathom how he gave you a ticket if you had a good sticker on the vehicle. I wouldn't pay jack, fight and it get it dismissed. Obviously its not much money to make it go away easier but I would fight it just based on principle.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #29
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker158 View Post
Sucks, but I wouldnít be wasting negative energy on it. Brighter things happen in life that Iíd be focused on.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #30
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Bingo!! And this is why I have such an issue with just sign here, it is not an admission of guilt, etc. No it isn't an admission of guilt but it guarantees you will be out valuable time, money, etc. even if you did nothing wrong like the original poster. F'd up system! And don't take this as cop bashing, they are just another cog in the wheel although this specific cop needs some discipline if for no other reason being stupid.

Many times we hear for example that a woman that makes a false rape report should have the same consequences as the person would have received if convicted. I would be all for the same being applied to cops on bad tickets such as this. Maybe have the cop not get paid and have to take PTO to go to court like the person receiving the ticket...
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

On a side note, if you do go the court route and win could you sue in small claims court for time lost from work and associated expenses?

Last edited by JonBoy; 01-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #32
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post

I have done this twice, it was very satisfying both times!!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #33
MDemel
Four Point

Hunt In: Victoria

oh my bad.....but I gotta get my quota and by the way you still gotta pay, sorry for the inconvenience......yeah..... I dont know why this blows my mind anymore.
MDemel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #34
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Things could be worse. I just watched a YouTube vid yesterday where a young mother was detained for 45 minutes by TSA because she didn’t want her bottled breast milk ran through the X-ray machine. I immediately thought of the thread about the poor old gubment workers going without pay. Those particular ones needed a good azz kicking.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #35
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Well, this sucks...

I think I would have thought long and hard about a trial. I think...
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #36
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #37
J.B.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

thats BS
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #38
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I think I would be calling the county attorney or the DA and talking to them about that. Surely they can have all charges dropped.

You said trooper - this was a Texas State Trooper or was it a local LEO? Most troopers are smarter than that.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #39
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

I would have been mad too! It is ridiculous that the system is designed to cost money, even when there was no fault.
Txsurveyor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #40
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Sucks, but good grief, "Go to court out of principle"?

I wouldn't spend time going to court if it was $100. Your time is worth more than $20. What exactly are those of you suggesting that thinking it's going to accomplish? Showing them you won't be pushed around? No one will know, remember, etc. and nothing will change.

Just chalk it up to garbage government and don't make a bad situation worse.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #41
Lawhunter
Ten Point

That would tick me off too. They can charge the $22 to whatever department wrote the ticket. It can be their punishment for writing a ticket that could not be prosecuted.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #42
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Sucks, but good grief, "Go to court out of principle"?

I wouldn't spend time going to court if it was $100. Your time is worth more than $20. What exactly are those of you suggesting that thinking it's going to accomplish? Showing them you won't be pushed around? No one will know, remember, etc. and nothing will change.

Just chalk it up to garbage government and don't make a bad situation worse.
And this line of thinking is why things donít change.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #43
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
AMEN
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #44
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
And this line of thinking is why things donít change.
No, that line of thinking is common sense. You going to court, wasting your own time, and likely getting the same result is screwing yourself and no one else.

Governments suck at running things. Newsflash. That's been the case since the dawn of time.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #45
Jon B
Six Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Seems like the trooper was inexperienced or not real bright. I have come across this issue a few times in my career and will make the stop and see the sticker. I usually explain the reason for the stop and then let em go on their way. When there is any question whatsoever, the benefit of the doubt should always fall in favor of the violator....not the state. I saw a lot of hardcore tactics in new and super gung-ho guys but this is ridiculous. There should be a complaint number listed on the bottom of the ticket. I wouldn't want the guy to get in trouble but his Sergeant should know and address this.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #46
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

That seriously stinks.

Obviously knowing it's unfair, but I write moments like these up as I'm being challenged and tested to see how I will deal with it and what example I will set for family and others.

For me, I've earned just barely enough wisdom to know that if I can move on it makes my life better, family happier, and me a better person.

That said, I also choose to engage in the debate, fight, or whatever if I can't get over it or let it go.

Good Luck to you Sir.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 01-11-2019 at 10:26 AM.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #47
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
the only thing more frustrating to me than government is the government workers' attitudes.
LOL! You'd have the same attitude as the workers if you worked for the government.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #48
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

IF this happened to me: I would not get angry over it, but out of principle I would take this to court even if it cost me more than the $22 fee. It is the principle of the matter. I have done this in the past and it cost me $200 more than the fine. But the feeling you get when the Judge dismisses the ticket in front of me and the "accuser" makes it all worth it.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #49
sharpstick35
Six Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

try this on.
get arrested, charged, pay bail, get a lawyer and a month later they drop charges. you're out $10,000 and your just SOL
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #50
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I would talk to the DA first, then if nothing is done set up a trial date. I think there is cost requesting a jury trial, but the judge should be able to hear and dismiss.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top