New Live Oaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Live Oaks

What a difference trees can make! I have an acre in my back yard that was just wide open so I had 6 Live Oaks planted and what a difference they make. Watching the planting process is pretty neat too. They had a spade on the back of a truck that dug a hole that was probably 6 foot wide by 6 feet deep.

See before and a few after photos.
    Attached Files

Those are some great looking Live Oaks. This is probably the worst time of the year to plant. Water thoroughly every other day.

Comment

Man those are really nice. I bet that cost you a pretty good bit of coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Those are some great looking Live Oaks. This is probably the worst time of the year to plant. Water thoroughly every other day.
        Yeah this probably is no doubt the worst time of year to plant them and I really tried to be patient and wait to till early fall but as you can see, I couldn’t wait any longer. I did go ahead and install a drip system on each of them so it will make watering easy. The guy who planted them also warranties them for a year, no questions asked, he will replace a dead tree.

I am also building a shop and have part of the fence taken out in the back right now, so I wanted the trucks to use that opening instead of driving on the concrete and cracking the drive all up, so that how I convinced my self to do it now instead of in the fall when the fence is closed up.

Comment

What size of trees are those, gallon size....I'm needing to buy alot of them and would like to get as big as I can find. Those are good looking trees and seem alittle bigger than what I've normally seen offered.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
            What size of trees are those, gallon size....I'm needing to buy alot of them and would like to get as big as I can find. Those are good looking trees and seem alittle bigger than what I've normally seen offered.
            All of these trees have a 7”-7.5” trunk. They are from a local tree farm and the guy who owns them and plants them is a friend, so I got a very friendly price on them. They are field grown and not grown in a bucket/tub so I’m not sure what gallon size you would consider these but they’re big. If you see in the first picture there is a small oak tree that was planted when I built my house last year, that is a 30 gallon tree. So you can kind of get a size comparison. The new trees are 3 times the size I’d say if not more.

That little tree is about to be replaced next week, just doesn’t look right next to the others.

Comment

Drip system will not cut the mustard. You must water with a hose. I wish you the best of luck this time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by samj View Post
                Drip system will not cut the mustard. You must water with a hose. I wish you the best of luck this time of the year.
                Yup got that too, that came highly recommended from the tree farmer. Gave me a watering schedule and maintenance plan as well. He lives down the road from me so he is going to come check on them once or twice a month till their established. We’re also putting a root stimulator down every 6 weeks.

Can’t wait to see my water bill for the next few month....

Comment

For Sure!!
                  I had a Tree Spade for a long time. Not enough water was always the reason a tree didn’t live. This time of year you CAN’T put TOO much water on that size tree.
                  Good Luck [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6 years ago I bought 3 acres with nothing but 2 lonely Tallow trees in the back. There was a ton of Yaupon along the road hiding 2 Pines, 1 Cedar, and 2 Live Oaks coming up about a foot apart. The property looked really bare. We tried to get (3) 30 gallon Live Oaks started before we had water put in using a 275 gallon tote and hand watering. Only 1 survived. Later on I had 4 Live Oaks spade planted a few years ago from a farm just down the road in Liverpool. There is definitely a plus to shelling out a little more coinage up front for a bit more mature tree. Since then I've added 6 Loblolly Pines, 2 Nutall Oaks, 3 Magnolias, and 3 Drummond Maples. Thinking about adding some more Cedars for outdoor Christmas trees. Would like to get some Eucalyptus trees too from a guy on FM-2004 just because they smell nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                      6 years ago I bought 3 acres with nothing but 2 lonely Tallow trees in the back. There was a ton of Yaupon along the road hiding 2 Pines, 1 Cedar, and 2 Live Oaks coming up about a foot apart. The property looked really bare. We tried to get (3) 30 gallon Live Oaks started before we had water put in using a 275 gallon tote and hand watering. Only 1 survived. Later on I had 4 Live Oaks spade planted a few years ago from a farm just down the road in Liverpool. There is definitely a plus to shelling out a little more coinage up front for a bit more mature tree. Since then I've added 6 Loblolly Pines, 2 Nutall Oaks, 3 Magnolias, and 3 Drummond Maples. Thinking about adding some more Cedars for outdoor Christmas trees. Would like to get some Eucalyptus trees too from a guy on FM-2004 just because they smell nice.
                      The more the better!

Comment

I love trees. I'm about to spend some coin on adding another 3 or 4 in our yard.

I generally have a green thumb, and enjoyed this article given the time of year https://blog.timesunion.com/gardenin...planting/6672/

Comment

Water is your friend. Keep them soaked. Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            I love trees. I'm about to spend some coin on adding another 3 or 4 in our yard.

I generally have a green thumb, and enjoyed this article given the time of year https://blog.timesunion.com/gardenin...planting/6672/
                            Yeah this time of year is not ideal, I knew that going in but the guy who I bought them from and planted them (I trust), has planted them in the summer when asked and has had very good success as long as the customer follows the watering and maintenance plan. I plan on following it exactly. He said some time even if the customer follows the schedule exactly, he has had very few that didn’t make it but for the ones that don’t make it, he warranties them for a year and will plant a new tree free of charge. He is a great and honest guy. I have my fingers crossed that they make it.

He will be removing that small oak tree in the first picture and planting a Crape Myrtle next week for me.

Comment

Those look great!

Put some nice led up lights on them. Not the cheap solar ones, some vista wired ones.

Wait a couple years to do any pruning so you won’t stress them out. I planted some in 2011 right before the drought that were that big, I have 2, 2.5 gpm drippers on each and ran them most of the day and watered them real good every other day with a hose, but I’m on very deep sand.

Comment

Working...
                              X