Sticker burs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticker burs

Found my first set of stickers on our new place. It’s not a huge section yet. Wife in I pulled quite A few tonight.
    Our old place we sold was covered and they spread on us like wild fire.
    I have my own sprayer with a boom on it. What do y’all recommend spraying every year and when? I know summer time kills them and drys them out.

I do my own weed killing in our pasture, usually spray early spring. What do I need to spray and how often for stickers to not over run my new place. Thanks in advance

Pull the heads and then spray. Away from the house, I use either DSMA or MSMA as post emergent (2.5 gallon jug $80 at Atwoods/Co-Op). I apply one time and wait to see what returns. Around and near the house, I use liquid Molasses. Liquid molasses is cheaper and easier to find. I apply liquid Molasses 2-3 times and get the area fairly wet using an Ortho hose end sprayer or 5 gallon bucket.

Comment

MSM turf a couple times during growing season. Fertilize late winter with something high in nitrogen.

Comment

You can pre emerge with prowl h20 or pendulum. Post with msma or pastora.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been doing some reading and talking to people on the subject for the last two years. We had a very bad problem with grass burrs. The situation is improving, but they are still there.

What I was told many years ago, when I was in 4-H, this info came from the San Patricio County Ag department. They had us go over there for classes. Which I am sure all counties get their info from the state. Back then we were told if you have grass burrs, you have poor soil quality. We were told the soil should be tested and someone from the Ag department could tell you what to do to the soil to improve it and you will get rid of the burrs. That was probably 35 years ago.

A few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who has a buddy who grows some form of grass for hay. The guy I know asked his buddy how he keeps the grass burrs out of his pasture. The guys response was to fertilize the the field heavily, that grass burrs won't grow in good soil.

I have read the same thing on the internet recently. I also know a guy who used to work for a feed and seed company, he has told me multiple times there is something they sell that you put down in February, that kills grass burrs, not sure why February.

One thing I read multiple times on the internet, was to get a mower with a bagger, then cut the grass at least once a week. Basically cut the seeds/burrs and bag them up, at least once a week, so there are fewer burrs on the ground. I think were are going to buy a push mower just for this purpose, with some hard plastic wheels, so the burrs won't stick to the tires. I have found that on our property, they have been spread by people driving trucks or ATVs through areas that have lots of burrs, then driving else where around the property. Months later, you can see a trail of burrs where the truck or ATV went, after going through the burrs. That keeps getting me. I think we have them cleaned out of a area. Then I drive the four wheeler through a area, then other areas. Then a few days later I will be walking that same area and find I drove through grass burrs, I did not see while on the four wheeler. Then sure enough, wherever I drove after going through that spot, will have grass burrs a month or so later. So I plan on finding a hard tire/wheel push mower to cut the areas we have tons of burrs. Then cut and bag them up as often as possible. Then eventually work on the soil. I am really try to keep them contained to one area, then eventually get them out of that area also.

The area that we have them the worst, is along the highway. I know when the county sends the contractors out to cut the grass along side the roads, they are spreading the burrs all over along the sides of the highway. The problem with the burrs being down there, is when people come over to our house and go to turn in our driveway and don't make a perfect sharp turn into our driveway. They drive through the grass on one side of the driveway or the other. Through the very dense grass burrs and then bring them all the way up the driveway and then wherever they park or turn around, up near the house.
          I know where the water meter reader drives, sure enough there are lots of burrs where he drives. I have tried to tell him, don't get off of the driveway, when you come to our place to read the meter. He does whatever he chooses, so he spreads burrs. So we have very dense patch, from the driveway to the water meter. Same with the power company meter readers. Then the post man, UPS and Fed Ex. Then last year the power company had some contractors out on our property, I told them where not to drive, so they would not spread grass burrs. They drove where I told them not to, then dumped a lot of trash on our property, dug some deep ruts when they got stuck. I am finding this year, they spread grass burrs all over the areas where they were working, we did not have burrs in those areas before. If that crew ever shows up on our property again. I am going to run them off. They went so far as to dig holes and burry their trash on our property, to try and keep it out of sight, but they dumped plenty in the brush and left some scattered around.
          We plan to get a fence and gate up and a large wide front entrance. To keep all of those people from driving up our driveway and spreading the burrs. I am going to try and come up with a solution for the burrs along the highway, but that's going to be hard, since the county is responsible for cutting that grass. It's down hill at a fairly steep angle onto our property from the road. So any seeds along the road, are going to get washed down hill onto our property, when it rains. So getting rid of the burrs along the highway, really needs to be done. That's where I plan on using the push mower, so there are not 10,000,000 burrs to wash down, hill onto our property, every time it rains.

Comment

Been pulling, burning, spraying these things for 7 years. Maybe I should try the fertilizer method. Fortunately mine are only around the house and sometimes they pop up along the driveway and are easily found/removed before they're a problem there.

Comment

Originally posted by jessBsemple View Post
              Pull the heads and then spray. Away from the house, I use either DSMA or MSMA as post emergent (2.5 gallon jug $80 at Atwoods/Co-Op). I apply one time and wait to see what returns. Around and near the house, I use liquid Molasses. Liquid molasses is cheaper and easier to find. I apply liquid Molasses 2-3 times and get the area fairly wet using an Ortho hose end sprayer or 5 gallon bucket.
              Where are you getting the MSMA?

Comment

Sheep and goats will get rid of them....but I'd rather have grassburrs!

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                  Where are you getting the MSMA?
                  Check your local feed store.

Comment

Working...
                  X