Will a fox eat a cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a fox eat a cat?

I’ve got a big gray fox that’s started hanging out around the house. I enjoy watching him, and see him just about every evening out in my field. I also have an outside cat who isn’t afraid of anything. So like I asked in the title, should I worry about the fox attacking my cat? I shouldn’t have a problem killing it, but I don’t really want to if it isn’t necessary. Has anyone had any experience with a fox getting a pet? I know they usually eat small stuff.

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    I’ve got a big gray fox that’s started hanging out around the house. I enjoy watching him, and see him just about every evening out in my field. I also have an outside cat who isn’t afraid of anything. So like I asked in the title, should I worry about the fox attacking my cat? I shouldn’t have a problem killing it, but I don’t really want to if it isn’t necessary. Has anyone had any experience with a fox getting a pet? I know they usually eat small stuff.
    foxes are predators. if its hungry and has an opportunity, i dont see why it wouldnt kill a cat.

Comment

I've personally seen a red fox with a black cat in its mouth before. It was on the edge of town and I assume that wasn't the first or last cat it ever killed. Red foxes are bigger than grays of course but they're plenty big enough to kill a house cat.

Comment

Gray foxes I caught as a kid were pretty small adults were 12 or 13 pounds. Ferrel cats were pretty tough in the country. In most cases I would say not likely for grays. I have seen them boogers climb a mesquite tree. I think the fox would look for easier prey.

Comment

Yes, my dad stepped out a few years back to get the morning paper and a fox was dining on his cat in the front yard. Sun was just coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lord forgive for my thoughts and thank you for giving me the strength not to post them. Amen

Comment

If he can kill it he will eat it.

Comment

My girlfriend feeds the foxes around our place. She use to have a cat that would lay and wait for the foxes to come eat. Sometimes she would just lay and watch them and other times she would take off chasing them and run them off. The foxes had plenty of opportunities to get that cat but they never bothered her. The coyotes on the other hand.....

Dave

Comment

I would say Yes. Most definitely yes. The Fox is bred to kill or scavenge all its meals. The house cat(felinus domesticus) has been bred for temperament, not wild instincts. With all the special cat food they eat, vet trips for meds. That cat will taste like Kobe beef to that Fox. Keep an eye on your cat.

Comment

I’d rather the fox. If he kills the cat he’ll take care of the mice as well.

Comment

He will kill that cat in a heartbeat

Comment

Yes. I have witnessed it. We a pair of red foxes living by the creek behind the house. We see them often. I watched one chasing my neighbors cat.

Comment

Fox Lives Matter

Comment

THere are 2 fox that hang out behind my house. Been running around there for 4 years. I also see 3-4 different stray cats almost daily for a few years now

Comment

Fox love to eat cats!

Comment

Working...
                              X