RV troubleshooting... head scratcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV troubleshooting... head scratcher

Day 1 - went to light pilot light in stove. Lit immediately then faded to nothing and went out. Wouldn’t relight. Figured I shouldn’t be out of propane but switched the value to second tank. Pilot lit and away we go

Day2 ... same. Check tanks. Old one was 1/2 full, new one was full. Nothing would lite stove or oven. Turned on furnace... it lit. Turned it off and stove worked

Day 3 ...same. Nothing would work. Came home and parked it. For grins I hit the stove and it lit???? Went back while ago... nothing. Turned on furnace. It lit... then stove lit???

Camper is 2016 model we bought new. Probably had 4-5 tanks ran through it. Regulator? Anyway to test without throwing parts at it?

When lit all flames are a good blue color. No soot

Seems like there is some kind of safety valve in the system that can go bad

Been a while since we had an RV

Comment

PM careybirdwell. He is the TBH resident RV expert!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        PM careybirdwell. He is the TBH resident RV expert!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        When you are dealing with intermittent issues, it is kind of hard. Also, I have only worked on 1 or 2 oven / stove is 20 plus years.

1st, have the tanks been recently filled?

If it is doing the same thing from both bottle and both propane hose, then I would rule out bad bottle & hoses. After that I would lean to bad LP regulator. If you know someone with a Manometer, you could have them check the pressure to see if it is dropping

Comment

Are you sure both of them aren't empty?

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            Are you sure both of them aren't empty?
            Positive

Comment

Sounds just like what mine did several years back. Replaced the reulator and did not have any more issues. That is until hurricane Harvey. Oh, that is another story.........cC

Comment

I recently had one of my bottles refilled at Tractor supply.

The bottle I had refilled wasn't empty persay, but had stopped my water heater from burning so I swapped over to the other bottle. When I removed the "empty" I could still feel weight inside.

The salesman refilling the bottle said it was most likely air bound and released a lot of pressurized volume before the LP stinky gas started to escape (prior to refilling).
                This was something I had never watched my previous fill up place do.

Not sure if he was onto something or not, sounded legit enough to me.
                He said in that condition it would still have gas inside, but the air pocket would flow out first- thus snuffing out any flame.

BTW, they refill for a lot cheaper than my previously (currently out of business) place.

Comment

My camper at the lease bleeds the gas out of the line over time (weeks) of it not being used. Probably a small leak that I cant find. I light the stove first to remove air at a faster rate then light the water heater. Yours might be bleeding down also.

Comment

4 years and only 5 tanks? That's not bad. We have gone through probably 6 just this spring LOL...I would check the valve first. Then, as DaveC said, see if you can't get both tanks emptied and refilled.

It sounds like lack of use could be an issue. Kind of like when a person don't drive a car for a long time, stuff starts to dry rot.

Comment

Had a issue with my furnace several years ago. Would stop working and then would start working. I finally took it out and tore it apart. Found a small bit of metal that would flow through and stop up the orifice. Cleaned that out and worked like a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        4 years and only 5 tanks? That's not bad. We have gone through probably 6 just this spring LOL...I would check the valve first. Then, as DaveC said, see if you can't get both tanks emptied and refilled.

It sounds like lack of use could be an issue. Kind of like when a person don't drive a car for a long time, stuff starts to dry rot.
                        It’s covered and flawless. No dry rotting

Guess I’ll replace regulator first. Just hate changing parts to find a problem

Comment

Fill both tanks and Replace Regulator. Should do it. Had the same thing years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                            My camper at the lease bleeds the gas out of the line over time (weeks) of it not being used. Probably a small leak that I cant find. I light the stove first to remove air at a faster rate then light the water heater. Yours might be bleeding down also.
                            Not a leak. It's just what happens when there is no pressure. Every RV I have owned did this. I just lit all three burners to get everything back up to pressure.

Comment

I agree with the others on the regulator. Had the same thing happen to me this past fall in Ohio. Regulator was bad and the furnace gas valve had issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X