No announcement yet.

Welding Cast Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would try JB weld. IT could not hurt and may fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
      I think your best bet would be to have someone fabricate a whole new handle out of mild steel.
      Easiest and most durable right here

Comment

If it is aluminum it can be Tig welded

Comment

Vice Grips. Lol

Comment

It's definitely pot metal. I would not try to weld it, it will just make a mess. I would just built another one. Find someone who can fabricate and or has a mill. Then get them to make you another one, out of either steel or some good aluminum, such as 6061 T6 or 7075 T7.

There are multiple ways another one could be made, just find someone with the skills and tools to make one, and get it made.

Kind of looks like a old car window crank. Almost looks like it has a Ford oval on the back side. But it does not look like any Ford window crank I can think of. All of the window cranks I can think of, were splined, not threaded onto the window regulator.

Comment

I was a self employed welder for 38 years. That's one of the jobs I'd turn down. As some of the others have said, make a whole new crank, or maybe drill and dowel that back together.

Comment

Make sure you clean and lube whatever broke that handle too...

Comment

Look online at e-replacement parts or similar and I bet you can find a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                    About the only fix I see is to drill some holes into the head, stick some rods into it then fill the whole thing with JB weld.
                    JB weld sucks, you can find a good two part epoxy and it will never come apart.

Comment

Working...
                    X