Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this in the game management section but I'm putting up a protein feeder, for a trial run, mainly as an additional attractant, not trying to blow up antler growth but it is free choice feeding.

What's the difference between *except protein content, between antler max versus horse pellet? Our horse pellet is 14% and the deer clean it up down at the horse barn. Could this be used as a much cheaper alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
      I posted this in the game management section but I'm putting up a protein feeder, for a trial run, mainly as an additional attractant, not trying to blow up antler growth but it is free choice feeding.

What's the difference between *except protein content, between antler max versus horse pellet? Our horse pellet is 14% and the deer clean it up down at the horse barn. Could this be used as a much cheaper alternative?
      Check the fat content. Deer don’t have gal bladders. Some horse feed is high in fat which wouldn’t be good for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        Check the fat content. Deer don’t have gal bladders. Some horse feed is high in fat which wouldn’t be good for deer.
        Good consideration. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          Cottonseed is very high in fat as well as the cottonseed pellets i have fed. I doubt its the fat content that is the issue but maybe the fat in combination with fiber. I always like to feed a higher fat feed in the winter to help them regain their fat stores post rut.
          Palmers eco deer is running about $9/ 50 right now and on fri/sat you buy 15 and get one free. Our deer are really eating it well.

Comment

I did get some of the Eco Deer Protein pellet feed from Palmers. They said it was their top seller.

Comment

Put out another 8 tons of protein this weekend and got 7 water stations filled. Deer are putting on some good bone so far. Hoping we can get some rain to finish them strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great looking pics and place.

How much water do the deer drink from those 300 gallon totes in the summer months?

Considering setting up a couple...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	24621628
                  Dang it...put a new pasture fence in this spring, it’s 5 or 6 inches from the panel to the top wire but the dang deer still find a way to get hung up, hate this.

Comment

I don't even want to think about how many deer are killed in fences each year.

Comment

Here’s our first double set up. Corn feeder and protein feeder.

Comment

Got some good antler growth going on! Deer look healthy

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                          Great looking pics and place.

How much water do the deer drink from those 300 gallon totes in the summer months?

Considering setting up a couple...

Thanks!! They last a little less than a month. Looking to do two totes at my set next year instead of one. We have windmills in every pasture with water but I think having extra water in this time of year takes some of that stress off our herd to help maximize antler growth. Definite game changer.

Comment

Hey guys, i just picked up a place just south of Mertzon about 20 mins. Place hasn't been hunted in 3 years so we're excited to see what it produces. Anyone have any tips on what all feed they like, and where to buy feed and such near there. it's about 6 hr drive for me so I'd like to buy what I need closer to the ranch as opposed to hauling all that way. Headed out there in a few weeks to start setting things up. really looking forward to a change of scenery this hunting season.

Comment

Don’t know which way you travel to get there but the Feed Store in Mertzon is high.
                              San Angelo has Palmer Feed and Angelo Pellet. We buy Protein from Palmer Feed.
                              Our deer like the 17% protein and corn. They like alfalfa hay as well.

Comment

Man got out here today and the place is dry and burned up. Thank god for windmill troughs or we would be hurting. Talked with land owner and he said all the rain has danced around us and I'm sitting here now witnessing it, thunderstorms are all around us and barely got a drop. I will be spending more time cutting down more cedars and mesquite around camp in the event of another fire in the area. Pray for rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X