Red River NM primitive camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red River NM primitive camping

My brother, myself and two of our boys (age 3 and 5) are going to make a quick trip to the Fort Sumner, NM area for work and then up to the mountains to cool off in a couple weeks. We’re thinking Red River might be a good place to start. We’ve been there but primarily skiing in the winter. We’ve spent quite a bit of time in Colorado on ATV trails and have noticed some really cool camping spots away from the crowds but have always stayed closer to town with the rest of the crew. We’re less familiar with these off the grid locations in New Mexico. Anyone have any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Ben View Post
    My brother, myself and two of our boys (age 3 and 5) are going to make a quick trip to the Fort Sumner, NM area for work and then up to the mountains to cool off in a couple weeks. We’re thinking Red River might be a good place to start. We’ve been there but primarily skiing in the winter. We’ve spent quite a bit of time in Colorado on ATV trails and have noticed some really cool camping spots away from the crowds but have always stayed closer to town with the rest of the crew. We’re less familiar with these off the grid locations in New Mexico. Anyone have any pointers?

there are primitive sites in the cimmaron valley before you get to Eagle's Nest. It's a beautiful area. I also think there are several places to camp all around the Enchanted Circle (Taos, angel Fire, Red River). Hope this helps

Comment

If you are taking the ATV(s), AND driving on public land, you have to have either a Texas OHV sticker (current year) or you have to get an New Mexico OHV sticker. There are also rules about persons under 18 and safety. Also if you are fishing, particularly for trout, there are streams that are protected and the rules for those streams are different than for non-protected ones. Hit the New Mexico game and fish website for the details. We have a ranch up in that neck of the woods. Weather is fantastic. Fort Sumner lake is also a nice lake. On the other hand, we camped at Santa Rosa State Park on a weekend and I will never do it again. What a circus.

Comment

Check Valle Vidal (or however you spell it) think they had some camps in there when we drove through

I would camp up around Goose Lake if they let you, beautiful up there too

Comment

Valle Vidal is beautiful, people were camping beside the river that runs thru there.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Check Valle Vidal (or however you spell it) think they had some camps in there when we drove through

I would camp up around Goose Lake if they let you, beautiful up there too
            As rough as that trail is its amazing how many people get up there.

Comment

Valle Vidal and Goose Lake are both great. You can also call the chamber and get recommendations. We will be up there July 5th.

Comment

Are there smaller trails off Goose lake (or similar trails) that someone could camp that’s not a “public” camping spot? We saw people doing this in Colorado outside of Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, Creede, etc and I don’t know how to find out about these spots other than driving and looking or hopefully being told about them by someone who has been there.

We drove from Taos up to Taos ski valley once and there were people camping all along that river but it was a bit crowded for my taste. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Comment

Up

Comment

I would take them to Middle Fork Lake, one of the most beautiful places I've ever camped but it is about a 2 mile hike.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Good luck with your trip. Them younguns should have a blast.

Comment

Thanks guys. The term I was looking for is “dispersed camping” and looks like it is allowed in the Valle Vidal unit per the USDA.

Comment

Get OnX maps.. It will show you all the trail heads and public land

Comment

Here is a link to the Motor Vehicle Use Map.

Most of the NF they allow dispersed camping off of Forest Service roads. It was unclear for the Questa Ranger district mvum. Call the Questa Ranger district for dispersed camping info, they are usually more than willing to help. You can also order the Carson NF visitor maps they are usually good. I haven't seen one for carson but usually best $14 you can spend.

Comment

The last time my dad and I camped in red river, for some reason we didn’t get up there until late October early November (I can’t remember).

Anyhow, we get up there and all the campgrounds are closed down for the winter.... my dad says no problem, and drives up the forest road north of town. We pick a spot and set up camp somewhere up on the mountain. It got down to 14 degrees that first night, and was the most miserable I’ve been. Neither of us said much about the cold till around lunch, my dad “broke the ice” pun intended, said if it’s gonna get that cold again I’m getting a hotel room!

I didn’t want to be the first sissy to complain!

Comment

Working...
                              X