260 REM- Savage 12 LRP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

260 REM- Savage 12 LRP

I’m looking for input on loading a 260 for long range target shooting. I grabbed a Savage 12 LRP with a 260 barrel and 6.5 creed barrel. I’d like to see how the 260 shoots before I switch it to the creedmoor. I’ve shot a ton of 6.5 and 6 creed and know them pretty well. My initial observation and concern is how far the 140 grain target rounds are seated in the 260 case even when loaded out to the lands. I’m not restricted to mag length in this rifle, which is a nice change though.

For those shooting long range with a 260, what bullets are you having success with and does the deep bullet seating depth have any detrimental effects?

I’ll be testing 140 ELDMs with either H4350 or RL16 to see how it shoots as is. Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated!

Your basically shooting a 6.5 creedmoor with more case capacity. So seating it into the case is almost just evening it out. To bad you can’t seat it out further as you would surpass the 6.5 creedmoor. But is all ballistic sense you have two of the same barrel pretty much within reason. Just one is remingtons version and one is Hornady.

As long as your twist rate is good the 260 should out pace the creedmoor by a tiny bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rswan13 View Post
      I’m looking for input on loading a 260 for long range target shooting. I grabbed a Savage 12 LRP with a 260 barrel and 6.5 creed barrel. I’d like to see how the 260 shoots before I switch it to the creedmoor. I’ve shot a ton of 6.5 and 6 creed and know them pretty well. My initial observation and concern is how far the 140 grain target rounds are seated in the 260 case even when loaded out to the lands. I’m not restricted to mag length in this rifle, which is a nice change though.

For those shooting long range with a 260, what bullets are you having success with and does the deep bullet seating depth have any detrimental effects?

I’ll be testing 140 ELDMs with either H4350 or RL16 to see how it shoots as is. Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated!

I shoot 140 Bergers .020 off the lands pushed by RL26. RL16 seemed to be too fast as I hit pressure signs at much lower velocity than I see with RL26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        Your basically shooting a 6.5 creedmoor with more case capacity. So seating it into the case is almost just evening it out. To bad you can’t seat it out further as you would surpass the 6.5 creedmoor. But is all ballistic sense you have two of the same barrel pretty much within reason. Just one is remingtons version and one is Hornady.

As long as your twist rate is good the 260 should out pace the creedmoor by a tiny bit.
        My 260 surpasses my CM by about 200 fps
        My sons 260 surpasses the CM by 120 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I shoot 140 Bergers .020 off the lands pushed by RL26. RL16 seemed to be too fast as I hit pressure signs at much lower velocity than I see with RL26.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Thanks Mike. That’s good to know on the RL26. I’ve got a bunch of it on hand as well. I used it for a bit to turn my creedmoor into a speed demon. Are your rounds longer than 2.800 on those Berger’s?

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post

Yeah I knew they were very similar. I’m expecting to pick up some decent velocity gains over my current setup as I’ll be moving up from a 22” barrel to 26”. It was just those initial seating depth checks that were disappointing since the bullet seemed to be seated much deeper than I expected, which obviously eats up some of that extra case capacity.

Comment

I ran 130vlds out of my 260 with no issues as well as 140 hybrids. Don’t be concerned about how deep the bullet is in the case so much. The standard 260 has been around for years with long range success.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Working...
              X