School me right quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me right quick

Ok gents - I have the dead air sandman TI 7.62mm can on my .308.

On the specs for my can it’s says “must be concentric with 7.62x39mm, or 7.62x54mm bore”

If another firearm (.300 BO) has the same thread pitch is it safe to assume it’s compatible with my can?
    Do I need to double check the bore of the other gun?

Am I over thinking it? Basically I’m asking if my 7.62mm DA can be used on other calibers with same thread pitch.

Thanks yall

To me that just means that your threads must be cut correctly so that you don’t get a baffle strike, but I’m no suppressor expert.

Comment

Quick answer- yes
      Check what the can is rated for. If 300 WM, it can be used on anything down to a 204 Ruger as long as the rifle barrel thread pitch is the same.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned mine is a direct thread .

That is straight from DA’s website. So I guess you only have to worry about Concentric accuracy with quick detach?

Considering mine will only fit barrels with the same thread pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You’re overthinking this. If it’s a .30 cal. or smaller, and 5/8-24 threads I promise you won’t kill that can without a very very high ammo budget. A few years back at range day at SHOT we took a 13” semi auto 300 WM and a very large pile of ammo. We tried to kill the Sandman Ti. We couldn’t succeed, and a 13” 300 WM is a VERY high pressure round. Mag dumps as fast as we could load andouille he trigger. Mags in constant rotation so no cool off time.
          Last edited by TX03RUBI; 04-05-2020, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
            I guess I should have mentioned mine is a direct thread .

That is straight from DA’s website. So I guess you only have to worry about Concentric accuracy with quick detach?

Considering mine will only fit barrels with the same thread pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Make sure ALL threads are concentric to the bore of the rifle/pistol. QD or DT makes no difference.

Comment

The statement about concentric threads specifically calls out 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r because older comm bloc rifles have a history of threads that are nowhere near concentric to the bore.

It's always a good idea to check anything your about the screw a can on for concentricity, but for modern US made firearms it's a fairly safe assumption that the threads are concentric. Makes no difference if your can is QD or direct thread

Comment

Originally posted by GigEm'15 View Post
                The statement about concentric threads specifically calls out 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r because older comm bloc rifles have a history of threads that are nowhere near concentric to the bore.

This.

Comment

Originally posted by GigEm'15 View Post

It's always a good idea to check anything your about the screw a can on for concentricity, but for modern US made firearms it's a fairly safe assumption that the threads are concentric. Makes no difference if your can is QD or direct thread
                  This gentleman is 100% correct. The reason they are calling out those calibers specifically is a lot of AKs and other combloc rifles had barrels where the flash suppressor threads are non concentric. I’d probably add 5.45 x 39 just to be safe although most of those were made by the Russians at their Izhmash plant, so they should be good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Daddypants View Post
                    This gentleman is 100% correct. The reason they are calling out those calibers specifically is a lot of AKs and other combloc rifles had barrels where the flash suppressor threads are non concentric. I’d probably add 5.45 x 39 just to be safe although most of those were made by the Russians at their Izhmash plant, so they should be good quality.
                    This is off topic a bit, but the Dead Air Wolverine has a tapered baffle stack to help combat this issue. The first baffle has the smallest aperture, and each baffle has a slightly larger aperture than the previous baffle. The largest aperture being the last baffle. That along with the tensioning system are pretty **** ingenious so that you can use factory combloc quality threads and thread the Wolverine right on without issue. The Wolverine paired with the KNS adjustable piston a beautiful combination, and a dream to shoot.

Comment

Also a lot of those Old 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R are a lot of times .311 projectiles or .310,.309. Add that to not a perfect thread alignment and bam

Comment

Very interesting thanks for the feedback gents. Since inception of the thread I ordered a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adaptor from silencer shop so pumped for that.

Yea i read people do the guide rod trick and flashlight etc to double check so i'm more confident it'll be good to send it after I give it a look.

Comment

Working...
                        X