Capsule feeder weevils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capsule feeder weevils

For you guys that have capsule feeders, how do you keep weevils out? They make weevil dust and it clogs up the augur. We called corporate. They're in Ohio. They didn't know what a weevil was. Is there a way to keep them out, or just unavoidable? Gotta take ALL the corn out to clean it out. Pain in the azz.

Do you have one of the older models with the plastic lids, or the newer metal lids?

Comment

Metal lid where the corn gets poured in. Plastic lid on top covering the battery.

Comment

Cutting about 4" off the bottom of the pvc that the auger is in on the bottom will help, we still had to clean out ours yearly so we eventually switched to all lamcos and ranch king.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Never really had an issue with it in mine. When feed gets low I would just reach in and get as much of the dust out of the indention where auger goes.

Comment

While not your specific feeder, We get them every year in our silos at the house. We’ll sprinkle pyrethryn? (Sp) in when we fill the silos. Lasts about 6 months to kill and keep out weevils. Don’t use too much as it’s potent but it is organic and breaks down fairly quick. Usually corn will sit in the silo about a month before we use it and by then the corn is plenty safe for consumption. Doing this it keeps our feeders from eventually clogging up.

Comment

I would empty your feeder, and spray something inside it to kill whatever leftover bugs there are. Let it sit for a day or two open to air out. Then Use the best deer corn you can in these, straight from the feed store or whatever, just make sure it is Real Clean. If it is dusty at all it isnt for this type feeder. I stopped storing corn in our barn because the weevils would eat it and turn it to trashy dust. Fresh clean corn is the key.

Comment

My buddy uses them too!
                Has had same problem, he has to vacuum them out once a year.
                Uses a little cordless one.

Comment

No those feeders just suck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never owned one but what DRT said above. All the people I know that owned them ended up getting rid of them. Just to many problems with this feeder. If you are hell-bent on keeping it then the dust has to be vacuumed out. They will clog and the auger will jam up.

Comment

Although it’s not practical for large volumes of corn, but maybe a bag or two. The freezer will zap those guys overnight. You can find weevils in flour and cornmeal, so keeping them in the freezer is wise.

Comment

Working...
                      X