Another Age This South Texas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Age This South Texas Buck

I saw this buck all last weekend in four sits. He showed up at every hunt. He stayed out about 300 yards but I could still get a good look at him through my binoculars. I had him at 4 as all our deer are hogs right now. It’s been a good wet year in Jim Hogg county. Received a close up picture of him recently on cell cam from another lease member and he appears to be mature. 5 plus maybe.

I just figured with a good wet year at the right time and all the protein and cotton seed we have been pouring to them he should be better for his age? What’s y’all’s thoughts?
    Attached Files

More recent pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would call 6.5 off what I see. Healthy deer

Comment

Short video through my binoculars

Vid from last weekend through my binos.
        Attached Files

Comment

Never mind guess it didn’t load.

Comment

5.5 from pics, can’t get video to work

Comment

I thought we were doing away with the .5 years. No body can tell 6 months on a deer unless they watched it sense it was a fawn, and new the day it was born.
              Last edited by critter69; 11-13-2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Looks like a healthy 5 year old

Comment

What you think? Green light?

So you guys have pretty much confirmed what I’m now thinking age wise. Do you think he will get any better? Weak G2s and I guess time length in general. His main beams are short his G1s are decent. Think he would be a good management buck? We have a guy on the lease that’s been there for two years and hasn’t taken a deer yet. I think this would be a good one for him to take.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've never seen a 5 year old that wasn't better at 6. They take a good leap for us from 5 to 6.

Comment

Mature

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        I've never seen a 5 year old that wasn't better at 6. They take a good leap for us from 5 to 6.
                        I just feel he should have been way better than he is by this age with the year we had. I’m going to let the hunter make the call. I know he’s seen him allready this morning but no reports on a take down yet.

Comment

I’d let him walk, although he doesn’t fit our criteria for trophy or management deer. Another good wet year, supplemental feed and he could make a hell of a jump from 5-6. And another at 7. The thread about the 153” hill country deer is a great illustration of what happens when you let deer walk.

Comment

IMO, when taking mouths off the ranch as management deer... you need to start at the bottom of the “management” class, not the top.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                              IMO, when taking mouths off the ranch as management deer... you need to start at the bottom of the “management” class, not the top.
                              That’s a good way of looking at it. I passed on him last week and so did the other lease member this morning who had him there all morning so I guess he’s getting fed another year.

Comment

Working...
                              X