Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
    I hunt Kennedy Ranch and the rut for Nilgai is January/February there. I also sent you a PM.

Congrats BigRed323 and GBludau! Great stories and thanks for sharing!

Im on the last hunt there and cant wait!
    February would be perfect. Even though a rutting bull might be a little scary.

Comment

First week in December

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
      I’m quite surprised by the reported low turnouts. Seemed like Colorado had more people than ever this past September. I figured Laguna would be the same with everyone just dying for something fun to do that remains socially distanced. I know that I’m looking forward to it! Only reason I can think of for the low turn out might be the changes to how it was organized due to covid? (No pre mtg, last minute emails with instructions, etc). Maybe a lot of 1st timers were just too intimidated by it this way? Idk. I’m sure not going to miss it tho!

I’m on the last hunt at the beginning of December. Since they don’t conduct hunts the week of thanksgiving, I’m hoping that week off from hunting pressure right before my hunt week will also help us out. Maybe we can get lucky with some cool weather by then as well.

Anyone know when the Nilgai Rut happens?
      I'll be there the same time. I'm going solo but willing to help out if needed!

Comment

Congrats on the bull!

Comment

Congrats man...great accomplishment....way to keep your head in the game and maintain a good attitude.

Comment

Laguna Master was taking pictures. I held up my finger and said I'm # 1 RIGHT when he took the pic. Then I laughed and said, "I know I'm full of chit, you're the Laguna Master and I'm glad you're here."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's an awesome bull and an impressive accomplishment especially given the conditions. People have no idea just how big they are until they have one on the ground. Nice job.

Comment

Freaking awesome story. Congrats on the accomplishment. I to hunted there for many many years and have some great stories and memories, but never took a nilgai. Congrats again

Comment

Originally posted by CaptTank View Post
                  They are experimenting with a different type of eradication program for the fever ticks. They are dosing the cattle every so many days with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  That's weird that the USDA is being allowed to run cattle on LAWR but I guess the government gets to do what the governments wants to do. I just thought that a heard got lost from the Cullen property and stopped at that point due to the proximity of the river. I wonder what it did to the herd of Nilgai that enjoyed the remoteness of that area. I hammered them there in 2018.

Comment

Congrats on a great accomplishment!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                      That's weird that the USDA is being allowed to run cattle on LAWR but I guess the government gets to do what the governments wants to do. I just thought that a heard got lost from the Cullen property and stopped at that point due to the proximity of the river. I wonder what it did to the herd of Nilgai that enjoyed the remoteness of that area. I hammered them there in 2018.

They had cows there last year too, I believe it was part of the tick study.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                        Laguna Master was taking pictures. I held up my finger and said I'm # 1 RIGHT when he took the pic. Then I laughed and said, "I know I'm full of chit, you're the Laguna Master and I'm glad you're here."

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ok, I’ve got to know what kind of black magic are you using to keep that bull’s head up in that 1st pic?

Comment

Ok, I’ve got to know what kind of black magic are you using to keep that bull’s head up in that 1st pic?

LOL. I was wondering the same thing

Comment

They had cows there last year too, I believe it was part of the tick study.
                            I didn't get to hunt LAWR last year but I pass in between units 5 and 4 every time I leave my place in Arroyo City on the way out into the bay. The first time I saw the heard was in August and I didn't notice any parameter fencing until some time this year. Can't remember the exact month of when it went up.

Comment

I’m quite surprised by the reported low turnouts. Seemed like Colorado had more people than ever this past September. I figured Laguna would be the same with everyone just dying for something fun to do that remains socially distanced. I know that I’m looking forward to it! Only reason I can think of for the low turn out might be the changes to how it was organized due to covid? (No pre mtg, last minute emails with instructions, etc). Maybe a lot of 1st timers were just too intimidated by it this way? Idk. I’m sure not going to miss it tho!

I’m on the last hunt at the beginning of December. Since they don’t conduct hunts the week of thanksgiving, I’m hoping that week off from hunting pressure right before my hunt week will also help us out. Maybe we can get lucky with some cool weather by then as well.

Anyone know when the Nilgai Rut happens?
                              Late December and into January you will see bulls break away from their satellite herds and round up cows. It's also a good time to see two bulls fight which is nothing short of awesome.

Comment

Gassing up at Buccee’s and about to head south. Pit stopping at my dad’s in Seadrift tonight and then on to Laguna in the morning. Goodluck to all those hunting this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X