No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happened to them opening up La Selva Verde Tract?

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
      that what i thought also, I'm going to call CKWRI today to see if i can get some info from them. when i walked up and saw the tags i didn't want to take them out incase it was some government stuff. They did tell me there was one cow in the area with a radio collar on as well.
      we saw the cow with the radio colar last year in section 6.

We were also on that rifle hunt 9-11th. One of my daughters got a cow and my 16year old daughter shot a small bull 2.6miles back in section 3.

Congrats on your success.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
        No probably not. You shouldn’t buy the permit.
        hasnt been hunted yet by draw. only by helicopter.

come hunt and tell us how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
          we saw the cow with the radio colar last year in section 6.

We were also on that rifle hunt 9-11th. One of my daughters got a cow and my 16year old daughter shot a small bull 2.6miles back in section 3.

Congrats on your success.
          That’s awesome, congratulations to your daughters. I think we texted back and forth.

Comment

This is my general take on the Hunt and responses to some of the posts I have seen. I will be there for the second archery hunt in Nov. This will be my fourth yr. It has been very rewarding each year. I’ve only taken a small Nilgai cow so far. There are the biggest wild hogs I have veer seen. White tail can be had for sure. Getting close to a Nilgai or having them get close to you is tough. Seeing a mature Bull is a sight to be seen. Ive gone deep off the roads and gone relatively close to them. I’ve seen people walk right in front of me and say hello and last year I went three days with out seeing a soul Only to find out more than one Nilgai had been taken relatively close to where I was. Waiting for the gate to open is not your only option. There is parking off 106 and as far as I know there is nothing stopping you from entering once you get there. I have been chastised more than once for being late getting back to my vehicle. The officers want to go home and they do not like waiting for a hunter who walked from the farthest point once the sun went down. Bring a bike. I stay on the gravel roads and hike after that. Too many flat tires. Bring a lot of water. Prep for tics and mosquitoes and play the wind. You will be a sweaty mess, especially if you are hauling tri pods and blinds. One year I went and never got muddy. The next year I needed hip waders to get to the same spots. Be prepared for wet conditions with your foot wear. If you can spot and stalk a Nilgai wearing hunter orange and moving through the crunchiest and thickest vegetation you are a beast. I bring the most comfortable portable chair I have and try to ambush them. Observe, find them and move closer at every opportunity for sure but it’s tough. Last year the volunteers and officers seemed eager to help you retrieve your kill, like drive the truck as close as possible kind of help. So any solo hunters like myself, hopefully once you call in a kill you will get some help. Of course Covid may have hurt that willingness, I don’t know. Bring your tarps, the skinning station is nice if we still get to use it. If you like podcasts listen to the latest Meat Eater. They interview a biologist and a rancher who work with LANWR. They discuss the habitat, why Ocelots live here and why the low speed limit is important. Good luck to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopher View Post
              This is my general take on the Hunt and responses to some of the posts I have seen. I will be there for the second archery hunt in Nov. This will be my fourth yr. It has been very rewarding each year. I’ve only taken a small Nilgai cow so far. There are the biggest wild hogs I have veer seen. White tail can be had for sure. Getting close to a Nilgai or having them get close to you is tough. Seeing a mature Bull is a sight to be seen. Ive gone deep off the roads and gone relatively close to them. I’ve seen people walk right in front of me and say hello and last year I went three days with out seeing a soul Only to find out more than one Nilgai had been taken relatively close to where I was. Waiting for the gate to open is not your only option. There is parking off 106 and as far as I know there is nothing stopping you from entering once you get there. I have been chastised more than once for being late getting back to my vehicle. The officers want to go home and they do not like waiting for a hunter who walked from the farthest point once the sun went down. Bring a bike. I stay on the gravel roads and hike after that. Too many flat tires. Bring a lot of water. Prep for tics and mosquitoes and play the wind. You will be a sweaty mess, especially if you are hauling tri pods and blinds. One year I went and never got muddy. The next year I needed hip waders to get to the same spots. Be prepared for wet conditions with your foot wear. If you can spot and stalk a Nilgai wearing hunter orange and moving through the crunchiest and thickest vegetation you are a beast. I bring the most comfortable portable chair I have and try to ambush them. Observe, find them and move closer at every opportunity for sure but it’s tough. Last year the volunteers and officers seemed eager to help you retrieve your kill, like drive the truck as close as possible kind of help. So any solo hunters like myself, hopefully once you call in a kill you will get some help. Of course Covid may have hurt that willingness, I don’t know. Bring your tarps, the skinning station is nice if we still get to use it. If you like podcasts listen to the latest Meat Eater. They interview a biologist and a rancher who work with LANWR. They discuss the habitat, why Ocelots live here and why the low speed limit is important. Good luck to all of you.

Great summary!

Comment

Looks like archery has no orientation at all (virtual or otherwise)?

Also with the online self check harvest form, maybe the check in station won’t be open or maybe they are just minimizing personal contact by allowing hunters who don’t have heads or hides to skip the check in.

Called their office but no answer and just getting ‘mailbox is full’. Anyone with more info let us know what’s up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shake_n_bake View Post
                  Looks like archery has no orientation at all (virtual or otherwise)?

Also with the online self check harvest form, maybe the check in station won’t be open or maybe they are just minimizing personal contact by allowing hunters who don’t have heads or hides to skip the check in.

Called their office but no answer and just getting ‘mailbox is full’. Anyone with more info let us know what’s up.

Looks like you are right.

From the Website
                  "" 2020/2021 Hunt Season Update

Due to Covid-19, on-site hunter orientation will not be available this season.
                  Hunters participating in the Exotic-Only Firearm Hunt must watch the Hunter Orientation video.

Hunters:
                  Click here to check in game.

Scouting will be available the day prior to your scheduled hunt. ""

Comment

I was selected for the Archery Deer hunt, curious if y’all have received a permit yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholson84 View Post
                      I was selected for the Archery Deer hunt, curious if y’all have received a permit yet?
                      You should have received that in an email right after you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                        Looks like you are right.

From the Website
                        "" 2020/2021 Hunt Season Update

Due to Covid-19, on-site hunter orientation will not be available this season.
                        Hunters participating in the Exotic-Only Firearm Hunt must watch the Hunter Orientation video.

Hunters:
                        Click here to check in game.

Scouting will be available the day prior to your scheduled hunt. ""
                        do you have a link to their website about hunting? I can't find it for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          do you have a link to their website about hunting? I can't find it for some reason.

Comment

thank you sir. I musta glossed right over that. Getting old sux.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I’m still wondering when the hunt email is going to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by Gopher View Post
                                You should have received that in an email right after you paid for it.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X