Tell Me How to Fish Port Aransas Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell Me How to Fish Port Aransas Next Week

We are going to Port Aransas Wed - Sat of next week. Where are some great places to fish? Should we do bay side or surf side? Shrimp available? Fresh bate or artificial??

Thank you very much for turning us onto the spot in SPI by the convention center, it rocked! Appreciate y'all in advance!

Kingfisher. I would try packery with a small hook and a lemon rig just past the first rocks on the drop off for sheepshead. Maybe the surf for drum and whiting. But sheepshead are good in the winter months and I prefer them on the table to all other bay fish besides mangrove

Comment

I can’t convey a lifetime of obsession into a single post

Comment

If you get clean surf, pompano is a possibility. Pink shrimp fishbites tipped with a piece of fresh dead shrimp on a fishfinder rig will catch them if they're present. If not, you'll almost assuredly catch some whiting or small black drum.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Kingfisher. I would try packery with a small hook and a lemon rig just past the first rocks on the drop off for sheepshead. Maybe the surf for drum and whiting. But sheepshead are good in the winter months and I prefer them on the table to all other bay fish besides mangrove
          Good advice here.

Comment

Port a jetties poping cork and shrimp on a 3ft leader right off the rocks sheep’s head are starting to move in

Comment

2 things we are catching now in the surf with some regularity are pompano and whiting. Pompano rigs from Wally World, pink or green fish bites, tip with fresh dead shrimp. For whiting that’s a sure thing. Pomps will be around if water clears up and surf isn’t crazy rough. Fish front side of 2nd gut if tide is coming in, if it’s out fish the backside of 2nd gut. There is always a possibility of catching redfish and drum when fishing this way. I only fish the jetties on a moving tide, I prefer outgoing. Live shrimp and a popping corking with long leader and small pinch weight about 1ft above the hook. With this rig I like to fish just passed the surf zone, basically not far behind the last breaker on outgoing tide. Right now, sheepshead, trout, drum, redfish, and mangrove are all a possibility. Most likely sheepies will be keeping you busy. If you decide to fish from the jetties take plenty of tackle, not just because you’ll hang up in the rocks but also for changing things up. Shorten/lengthen leaders, change size of style/hooks, and so on. And if you like throwing lures, a 1/4 ounce jig head with anything resembling a sand eel will catch trout in decent water. Just bounce lure off the bottom. Take pliers and hook outs, the mouths and teeth on some of those fish can get you pretty good. Look out for slick rocks, my legs are scarred from jetty hopping. That just about covers it. Good luck!

Comment

Tagged, going there myself for New Years

Comment

Port Aransas - fish Charlie's Pasture.....use Glen's, Buckhunter and Chris's (Stickman) techniques....add Flounder to the list of species there. Fish slow and on the bottom, cover the wall there, walk and move, and enjoy the boats and scenery!

Charlie's Pasture is the backside of town, along the Ship Channel....just left of the Port A ferry terminal.

Winter spot, deep water and sandy shorelines - that warm up in the sun. Everything in the bay eats here.....and some from offshore.....also work this area deeper out along the walls of the main ship channel. Don't need the boat, don't need to wade and get wet...you can park right there and stage. Take a stick or two, rig one with dead bait and the other, bounce a leadhead jig (shrimp and or paddletail) and slow bounce as you watch the bait rod. Give it about 20 minutes then walk and repeat. Cover the entire wall....heck you can cover the back and work around to the Jetties, parking and getting out to cover this zone....as you cover it all.

You should score some sheepshead and small black drum, both are excellent table fare. Little just legal black drum eat excellent!

Big blackdrum and the scattered bull red, will be there as well. The depth of the water out front, has a warm thermocline that allows these bigger bodied fish refuge from super cold snaps.

I think deep - bordering super sandy, rocky and shallow in sun....during the winter months.

My three over 30" specks, all caught fall thru winter......when it's easier to read water temp and depth....add tons of bait and birds up shallow or top = put the time in with the right lures (or bait if thats your game) to score some sizeable trout.

I didn't need Baffin Bay and the rocks, to cover these personal goals......deep water around the Port Aransas - Corpus Christi - Ingleside areas = big fat trophy trout live here. Just need to put the time in. Nights, when it's cold....wait till the first two hours before sunup and fish loud topwater and the top 5 ft water column and cover a lot of water...moving and reading bait. They are there and they have to eat and cold winter months, they are easier to target IMO, when it's light enough to fish. As the day warms up, these bigger female trout will feed up to around mid morning (10 am), then they shut down (sunny and or partly cloudy days).

During warm summer months, they scatter, go into night time feed mode only...and it becomes more complex to nail 30" plus specks. I prefer winters in South Texas - the Coastal Bend - to narrow the odds to score that coveted world-class speck.

Deep water, shallow water bordering edges.....bait, no people and or boats (2 hours before sunrise).......move and cover. These are the techniques for big trout for me. And these areas mentioned, all have big arse fish there in numbers. In some zones, they will stack up by the dozens, all averaging 25" inches or more.
                  Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-20-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Bringing this back up because I'm heading down there tomorrow. Thanks for the info At The Wall, How did you do Kingfisher789?

Comment

Call Winton's Guide Service and have it take you out.

Way more fun reeling in Red after Red.

Comment

I just got back from Port A. We gigged a lot of flounder but we covered a ton of water. Find shallow hard sand areas if you go that route. The surf was flat and green post-front. I'm sure the pompano were out. There was no live bait to be found on the island. If you can find some, I would go fish the jetties. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                          Bringing this back up because I'm heading down there tomorrow. Thanks for the info At The Wall, How did you do Kingfisher789?
                          Nadda. I tried. We fished the intercoastal at the Kayak station with some dead shrimp and fish bites. Tide was low and water really not moving much that first afternoon. Then the front blew in and we ended up going to Guadalupe Delta, Aransas and Goose Island. Didn’t really see much action at the Jetti either. Saturday morning the surf looked good but I didn’t see any bait or fish. I think if you covered some ground they are there but I never could find em.

Comment

Working...
                          X