flats cats boats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flats cats boats?

Have an opportunity to buy a used 1995 21ft boat and dual axle trailer w blown 175hp.
    Asking 4500 but the starboard side seems to take on a bit of water... according to seller its like 3-5 gallons in a full day of running.

As far as the repairs go I have no idea what typical fiberglass work runs but im thinking at a minimum the console would need to be pulled off and the deck exposed to reglass or support the hull.

Anyone have exp with this hull or brand of boats? it seems like a decent price but Im leary of an expensive glass repair bill.

Thks
    Attached Files

With a rebuilt motor and freshend up I bet that boat would sell for 15K

Go for it....................

Comment

Check the transom to see if it’s pulled away. Check where the plugs are located. Could be something as simple as needing new ones. I’d also look to see where the cap mounts on top of the gunnel to see if that’s where it’s leaking. 3-5 gallons isn’t bad now but it won’t magically fix itself. I’d also call Tran down in Palacios to see what could be done with it after you found where it’s leaking.

Comment

I know them well. My 2 cents, if you are not willing to cut the decks out and rebuild it from the hull up then don't buy it. They changed the stringers up in the 21 a few years after that one was built and some of them had issues in that one's time frame where the stringers would crack, the hull would flex and you'd get cracks running down the tunnel. If that is why it's taking on water the only way to fix it is a full and total rebuild and it won't be cheap or easy.

I have a very good friend who had that happen to his , I think '94 model, 21 Flats Cat. Same deal, started taking on some water on one side and then it got a little worse and a little worse and then the hull started to split down the tunnel. Insurance totaled it, he bought it back and he had Mr. Allison at Flats Cat rebuild it for him and it's been fine ever since.

highspeed, you know who I am talking about. You have been on and around his boat at the Hilton Club for sure. Steve G.

Comment

When Mr. Allison rebuilt it he added one additional cross member to it and supposedly all the newer ones they did that too as well. I can't remember for sure but it was like his had 7 and they went to using 8 or something like that. So when I say stringer I really mean the cross braces, stringers usually run lengthwise. This has to do with the two halves of the hull flexing and breaking those cross members loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
            I know them well. My 2 cents, if you are not willing to cut the decks out and rebuild it from the hull up then don't buy it. They changed the stringers up in the 21 a few years after that one was built and some of them had issues in that one's time frame where the stringers would crack, the hull would flex and you'd get cracks running down the tunnel. If that is why it's taking on water the only way to fix it is a full and total rebuild and it won't be cheap or easy.

I have a very good friend who had that happen to his , I think '94 model, 21 Flats Cat. Same deal, started taking on some water on one side and then it got a little worse and a little worse and then the hull started to split down the tunnel. Insurance totaled it, he bought it back and he had Mr. Allison at Flats Cat rebuild it for him and it's been fine ever since.

highspeed, you know who I am talking about. You have been on and around his boat at the Hilton Club for sure. Steve G.
            this is priceless info thank you so much steve

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              this is priceless info thank you so much steve
              If you want more details shoot me a pm. I'd be glad to visit with you about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post

same thing I heard about them or if they sat for a while there was some separation not really dry rot because its fiberglass but more like glue rot. good boats though

Comment

flats cats boats?

If it’s taking on that kind of water on a one day trip, and a blown motor, you couldn’t give me that money pit.

I know of a guy that had the aluminum flats cat and he cracked the hull on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Mayhem; 12-09-2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I have a 21’ and it’s a great boat. But I definitely agree with others could be a money pit or you could have a new boat if your rebuild and repower.

Comment

15k for a new outboard and at least 10k to repair a 25 year old boat on top of a $4500 investment. I’m out.

Comment

I agree with the above and would run from that money pit.

You're looking at buying someone else's headache.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          15k for a new outboard and at least 10k to repair a 25 year old boat on top of a $4500 investment. I’m out.

Ding ding!

Or spend 1500 bucks on bilge pumps and get after it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d pass the number to Johnny Danger and let him buy it!

Comment

Run...

Comment

Working...
                              X