I feel so guilty!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel so guilty!

My 20 year old daughter and I hunted harder than we ever have. Probably because when the season started we had pictures of 3 mature bucks that I wanted to go after. My 12 yr old killed one of them at the beginning of the season, and my 20 yr old and I started hunting on weekends when she was home from college and Christmas break. The mature bucks just seemed to disappear. I am very proud of her for passing legal deer in the process, but I am afraid she did that more for me than her. We hunted muzzleloader last Saturday and she went back to school not filling her tag for the first time ever. I have not shot a deer myself in 10 years. I have been guiding the kids and letting them shoot any legal deer they wanted. To make it even worse I had a chance to go Thursday afternoon and one of the bucks came out at 4:45 and I harvested him with the CVA. She seemed really happy for me, but it is bittersweet. I had gotten so serious about trophy hunting in the past that I ruined deer hunting for me. I started taking the kids and letting them shoot whatever they wanted and it became fun again. Next season they can shoot what ever they want. Sorry for the long read.

If it ever stops being fun I will stop doing it. I get as much enjoyment or more seeing my kids shoot the deer

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      If it ever stops being fun I will stop doing it. I get as much enjoyment or more seeing my kids shoot the deer
      Yessir....and the first time a really big buck doesn’t get my heart pumpin I’ll quit as well.

Comment

My daughter isn’t old enough to hunt yet but she already tells me she wants to go. I would venture to guess it will be the same for me where she will be doing the shooting and me watching.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

This this this

Comment

Sometimes our obsessions can ruin anything. It is fun to hunt. Good reminder sir.

Comment

I still get excited. But not as much. Maybe because I need to get out more and enjoy it without my work phone. Once my grandsons are old enough to hunt It’s going to be all about them.

Comment

Sounds like your daughter needs a better guide....

Comment

My granddaughter is one of the reasons I still hunt seriously---opening morning couple of years ago I shot a doe and it was laying in the truck bed. She walked up and rubbed its neck a bit and said "she has really pretty eyes". I didn't know what to expect next--tears maybe? But what I heard was now a family classic---"When will the buck sticks be ready?"

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Sounds like your daughter needs a better guide....
                    Thanks, you always know the right thing to say I have noticed. Sure glad you don’t kick a man when he is down.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                      My granddaughter is one of the reasons I still hunt seriously---opening morning couple of years ago I shot a doe and it was laying in the truck bed. She walked up and rubbed its neck a bit and said "she has really pretty eyes". I didn't know what to expect next--tears maybe? But what I heard was now a family classic---"When will the buck sticks be ready?"
                      THAT IS GREATNESS!
                      I talked to her today and I do feel a little better. She is coming home this weekend to go to DU banquet and hear Gary P Nunn , and we are going to kill some pigs, yotes, and cats.

Comment

Post up pics. Congrats. I’ve been a kid guide now for years and thinking next year I may actually hunt again

Comment

My son took his first few this year. Two doe with a crossbow, (yeah bought one and enjoyed every bit of it), and then he shot a nice 8 with my rifle. The enjoyment, and time spent was terrific. He has been going with me since he was 2. This year he turns 10.
                          -Thank you for the reminder not to restrict him like I do myself. I am definitely no trophy hunter, but I do try to be very conscious about what I take.

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                            Thanks, you always know the right thing to say I have noticed. Sure glad you don’t kick a man when he is down.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Good luck next year! I don’t have any kids but I only shoot one or two deer a year and my remaining 5 deer lease allotment is filled by lease members’ kids or guests. I enjoy sharing that as much, if not more than killing a big deer myself.[emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              Yessir....and the first time a really big buck doesn’t get my heart pumpin I’ll quit as well.
                              X2 on that Joel !!

Comment

Working...
                              X