Need leather help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need leather help

My dad used to do leather work as a hobby. Tooled belts, wallets, holsters, etc. Many years ago work took his hobby away. He is now retired and bored as all get out.

He got rid of all his leather working tools. Mom and I are going to get him back into it. What is the best leather tool kit to get him? I do not know much about it, so cant decide which kit to get.

ttt

Comment

Check out Tandy Leather for entry level stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Check out Tandy Leather for entry level stuff.
        thanks

Comment

Just Google leather working. All kinds of kits came up.

Comment

Take him the catalog or to the store and let him pick what he needs. He will be able to get the tools he needs and not the crap he doesn’t. A lot of the kits are geared to key chain making type crap. If he used to work with leather he knows what he will use and what he won’t.

Comment

Tandy leather website to see what he needs. I would then go look on Ebay and buy from there. I found good tools at good prices when I was into the hobby.

Comment

Tandy’s tool quality isn’t great.

I’d contact Hackbarthtools and ask if they still have the stamp tooling set for $145.

Comment

Tandy stuff is ok if youre gonna use it once or as just a hobby for your own stuff. But its like the harbor freight of leather work and leather. I primarily use barry king tools and wicket and craig leather. There is a world of difference between quality and how well the leather tools an the stamps leave impressions. Aside from stamping tools, he will ikely need a head knife, swivel knive, and mallet/maul (probably start with a 16oz)

Comment

OP, I can't say which kit is best but agree that asking your Dad to pick out what he needs is probably best. What he wants to make will drive which tools he needs.

FWIW I got into leather work as a hobby last year for small projects. Some of the first things I needed were stitching chisels (4mm and 5mm sets), an awl, stitching needles and waxed sewing thread. Not long afterwards I bought a stitching pony for holding parts while hand-sewing...highly recommend one of these if you think he'll sew by hand rather than a machine.

Other items I find handy include Barge brand contact cement, Tokonole burnishing gum, a burnisher/slicker, boning tool(s), punch set for making different size round holes, and the tools for setting snaps/rivets.

I've made a few holsters with hardware from holstersmith.com such as paddles and belt clips. They also sell plastic prop guns for wet-molding leather holsters.

He'll need some leather too but it would be risky to buy the leather until you know what it's for. Veg tan leather is what's commonly used for tooling but it comes in different weights. 3-6 oz leather is good for things like cell phone belt cases and card wallets but for a pistol holster or heavy duty belt you would want something heavier like 6-9 oz.

Hope some of this helps

Comment

Working...
                    X