Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you scout anytime before the hunt?

Comment

I was drawn for the south unit for 12/18-12/27 and have never hunted there for deer before. I have been there for waterfowl before but this should be a fun trip.

Comment

Originally posted by cohenascopy View Post
        Any time the WMA is open and not closed for a scheduled hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
          I don’t have a tree stand or an atv. I usually prefer hunting from the ground. Is a tree stand a big improvement over hunting from the ground here? Also will a bike help or should I just go on foot. I have a 4wd suv I’ll be driving but dont know what kind of vehicle access there is. I do some hiking with my son and don’t mind hiking in a mile to get to a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I hunt from tree stands but a popup blind should be fine. If it is wer a bike will be useless in the black gumbo. An atv/utv is a definite asset.

Comment

Originally posted by cohenascopy View Post
            The south unit is now closed, and no I am not kidding, probably because of covid-19

Comment

I drew the south unit for 12/18-12/27. From previous years statistics, it looks like late October is a really good time to harvest a few bucks and does. Hunting hogs in the spring, Ive always come across deer. This is a property I don’t believe you have to go super far in to have success. From what I understand, the people with ATVs are going to be encouraged to go to the farther out spots than people without ATVs. In the attachments in the email sent out, it mentioned we are able to bait. I don’t know how useful corn would be on deer out there, but it’s worth a shot. I’m looking for does, and will probably set up on a trail coming in/out of a pipeline or clear cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                I hunt from tree stands but a popup blind should be fine. If it is wer a bike will be useless in the black gumbo. An atv/utv is a definite asset.
                I thought the email stated ATVs and UTVs strictly prohibited?

Comment

Originally posted by Physhstyx View Post
                  I thought the email stated ATVs and UTVs strictly prohibited?
                  No, they are actually recommended for RCWMA. You do have to have your state permit on your utv and wear a helmet and have a safety course certificate if riding an atv.

Comment

This is what was in my email. Am I interpreting this wrong?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Just in case ATV/ORV use is legal I am trying to find information on the safety course. Does anyone know of a online course or where the course can be taken before October? My searching has come up with little information. I did order the OHV sticker.

Comment

Is anyone able to tell when the photo of the place was taken on OnX? It looks like most of the pipelines and clear cuts were under water. I would assume the whole area would have quite a bit of water as well. If that’s the case, i hope it’s not like that in December.

Comment

My experience from last year. They do allow allow and encourage ATV/UTV use. They don’t require helmets, don’t check for safety course certs or OHV permits. They addressed it in the orientation that these things are encouraged for safety and they are “moving towards full compliance”
                          But they cannot realistically “enforce” this with these huge hints with 75-100 hunters.

My advice, pay the 12$ for permit, take a helmet if you have one and don’t sweat it. Finding deer is gonna be #priority and I thought the staff there was pretty accommodating in general. You can also call them and ask ahead of time. Last year there was no one there without an ATV/UTV.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                            The south unit is now closed, and no I am not kidding, probably because of covid-19

Both the north and south unit are open to scout until Oct 1. Neither area has closed “probably because of COVID-19”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my hunts at Matador stated no ATV in the brochure. I called them yesterday and the WMA told me it was fine to bring a UTV. So go figure. I don’t think these TPWD employees get to excited about hear hunts. It’s more of a PIA to them and they don’t really prepare and plan with detail. The brochure could be outdated, general verbiage from HQ or who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                                One of my hunts at Matador stated no ATV in the brochure. I called them yesterday and the WMA told me it was fine to bring a UTV. So go figure. I don’t think these TPWD employees get to excited about hear hunts. It’s more of a PIA to them and they don’t really prepare and plan with detail. The brochure could be outdated, general verbiage from HQ or who knows.
                                This is spot on, I've only been on a few of these where they seemed genuinely enthused to host them and those were youth hunts, one of the guys that ran Richland Creek and Gus was a total @ss

Comment

Working...
                                X