Career change help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career change help

So I’ve been in the agriculture industry for a total of about 15 years, mostly being a cowboy/ranch hand. I recently went through a divorce and now am trying to get into a new career that allows me more time with my 2 kids. In the field I am now, I have little to no time off, it consumes me, it’s just part of this industry...the whole “it’s a lifestyle” quote is not an exaggeration. I think i am finally burnt out. I have plenty of experience here in agriculture, served in the military and have some mechanical experience in the oil field(will not go back) and with elevators. I have been applying for jobs when I see the opportunity, but was hoping that someone may have a way for me to get a foot in the door somewhere or might be looking to hire. My boys live in the weatherford area so I am trying to stay relatively close...Fort Worth area or within reasonable driving distance. I work my butt off and would be a valuable asset to any company. I am pretty open to anything except sales and oil field, I need some help here and hope I can get it from this community, thanks for any help

I don't know of any jobs that would necessarily give you more time with the kiddos. I went through a similar situation 5 years ago and just now managed to build a career where I can be there more. Best of luck to you, free bump.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
      I don't know of any jobs that would necessarily give you more time with the kiddos. I went through a similar situation 5 years ago and just now managed to build a career where I can be there more. Best of luck to you, free bump.
      Thank you, what I mean is a job where I don’t work every weekend, 7 days a week 365 days a year, I’ve done it for so long I don’t want it anymore. One where I’m off to see them participate in sports and able to see them on my days of the week when I’m scheduled to

Comment

I would look at City employment....lots of good jobs for all kinds within a city...and they're always hiring...especially the bigger ones. Amazing retirement and it's truly a 8-5 gig. Good luck partner...also, if you don't already have a profile/resume on indeed.com and glassdoor.com get it up there.

Comment

If your under 36 go to fire school

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I would second this. Good pay, great retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
              I would second this. Good pay, great retirement.
              and its hard to beat 48 off.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                Have definitely thought about it, heard it’s pretty tough to get in but I’ll definitely look into it

Comment

Check out Texas AgriLife Extension. They may have something right up your alley with your background.

Also, the American Paint Horse Association is in Ft. Worth.

Comment

You might look at state agencies or county jobs in your area. Agencies like TxDOT could find your skill set useful. Your work history may also help get in at different county departments also. The pay may not seem great but when you consider the holidays, paid time off, job security and fully paid insurance (for state employees), it isn't so bad, especially if you can live frugally.

Comment

Originally posted by LemmeOut View Post
                      You might look at state agencies or county jobs in your area. Agencies like TxDOT could find your skill set useful. Your work history may also help get in at different county departments also. The pay may not seem great but when you consider the holidays, paid time off, job security and fully paid insurance (for state employees), it isn't so bad, especially if you can live frugally.
                      Thank you I’ll look into it

Comment

Originally posted by jbonney1986 View Post
                        Have definitely thought about it, heard it’s pretty tough to get in but I’ll definitely look into it
                        Sending you a PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help, keep the ideas and help coming

Comment

Glad you are working to put your kids first. A whole lot of folks never make it that far. Kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              Glad you are working to put your kids first. A whole lot of folks never make it that far. Kudos.
                              Thank you, it’s taken me a while to accept that I’m not there enough so I’m trying to make some big changes

Comment

Working...
                              X