No announcement yet.

Can QuestionS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Subsonic is the quietest, but really makes it a 50-100 yard gun because bullet is going so slow.

2. Suppressed normal rounds will still be loud by movie standards, but will make a 308 sound like a 22 LR

3. I would go Full Auto rated, not because I want to shoot full auto, but want a can built to last extreme shooting, because the process is such a PIA I want it to have the best odds of lasting LOOOONG term!

4. Buying thru a trust isn't as easy as it once was. Far easier to buy as an individual these days, but if you want several people to have access to it, trust are the only way to go.

5. I had really good luck with Capital Armory in Austin ordering mine.

6. Form 1 is for a DIY can.

7. I like the Omega that we bought. We bought 3 and zero issues.

8. You never will know if the Trust is "good" till you are in court. That is why many prefer a lawyer prepared Trust. That still doesn't mean it is better though.

Comment

Find a good dealer and they will walk you through the entire process with ease. When you are done you will realize it is not near as overwhelming as it seems.

The ATF Form 1 is for cans you make yourself
      The ATF form 3 is a transfer from dealer to dealer.
      The ATF form 4 is a transfer from dealer to you/trust.

My recommendations:
      Find a local Silencer Shop dealer. Does not have to be a kiosk location. Buying directly from them may be cheaper than buying it from Silencer Shops website.
      The $25 Silencer Shop single shot trust is a good option for guys that will only be getting 1 or 2 NFA items. Super easy and super cheap.
      The Dead Air Nomad-L is good choice for guys wanting quiet that don't mind a couple extra inches hanging off the end.

If you ever make it to NE TX (mt pleasant), there is a great dealer there
      Last edited by duckmanep; 11-23-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        Find a gun shop with a Kisok. They will walk him thru it and be done.

From my Make Believe World
        Anyone know of a good one in DFW so I can refer this guy to? I can't help him, but I sure learned a lot. Thanks y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          Find a good dealer and they will walk you through the entire process with ease. When you are done you will realize it is not near as overwhelming as it seems.

My recommendations:
          Find a local Silencer Shop dealer. Does not have to be a kiosk location. Buying directly from them may be cheaper than buying it from Silencer Shops website.
          The $25 Silencer Shop single shot trust is a good option for guys that will only be getting 1 or 2 NFA items. Super easy and super cheap.
          The Dead Air Nomad-L is good choice for guys wanting quiet that don't mind a couple extra inches hanging off the end.

Thanks for the detailed info, I sure wish you were a little closer, now I'm tempted to buy one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
            1. Subsonic is the quietest, but really makes it a 50-100 yard gun because bullet is going so slow.

2. Suppressed normal rounds will still be loud by movie standards, but will make a 308 sound like a 22 LR

3. I would go Full Auto rated, not because I want to shoot full auto, but want a can built to last extreme shooting, because the process is such a PIA I want it to have the best odds of lasting LOOOONG term!

4. Buying thru a trust isn't as easy as it once was. Far easier to buy as an individual these days, but if you want several people to have access to it, trust are the only way to go.

5. I had really good luck with Capital Armory in Austin ordering mine.

6. Form 1 is for a DIY can.

7. I like the Omega that we bought. We bought 3 and zero issues.

8. You never will know if the Trust is "good" till you are in court. That is why many prefer a lawyer prepared Trust. That still doesn't mean it is better though.
            Thank you for the detailed info sir!
            which Omega did you buy and what caliber?

Comment

I bought an Omega 30, but i think they are called Omega 300 now. I shoot 308, 270, 22-250, 243 and 5.56 with the same can. Im not sure what it is rated to, but i think 300 Win mag

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have him look at SiCo Omega 300, Thunderbeast ultra 7 gen 2 and YHM Resonator K. The resonator K is a great can at half the cost of the others. I much prefer the Ultra 7 on my bolt guns. Hopefully your friend realizes he will wait 6+ months after he pays for it to actually get it. Much better than it used to be. I had one in jail for 14 months 5 years ago. Good luck.

Comment

Omega’s are great, once you shoot supressed it’s hard to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post

My recommendations:

For $79 a trust drafted by an NFA lawyer like Jim Willi in the Austin area or Cole Bryan in the DFW area is a no brainer. The single shots trusts are only good for a single NFA item. I highly doubt anyone will only buy just one after they get their first. I can’t speak for the two individuals above but I’m willing to bet if you ever have an issue and need representation that you will be good. I don’t know about the internet trusts out there.

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                    Anyone know of a good one in DFW so I can refer this guy to? I can't help him, but I sure learned a lot. Thanks y'all!

Just get on Silencer Shop’s website and plug in your zip code and it will show you a list of dealers in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      For $79 a trust drafted by an NFA lawyer like Jim Willi in the Austin area or Cole Bryan in the DFW area is a no brainer. The single shots trusts are only good for a single NFA item. I highly doubt anyone will only buy just one after they get their first. I can’t speak for the two individuals above but I’m willing to bet if you ever have an issue and need representation that you will be good. I don’t know about the internet trusts out there.

Just get on Silencer Shop’s website and plug in your zip code and it will show you a list of dealers in your area.

Cole is fantastic. He made my trust up about 10 years ago, and has supported me this whole time. I’ve had the trust amend 3-4 times over the years, and he’s always had my amendments within 24 hrs at no extra cost. The last time was about 6 months ago. Jim Willi offers similar service as well. Both great guys!

Comment

Following

Comment

Silencer Shop walks you through it ridiculously easily. The single shot gun trusts are cheap, fast, and don't require notarization.

Comment

How much do these attorneys charge to set up a trust?

Comment

I went with the individual single shot trusts for each of my 3 cans, but then had to set up a standard trust for Form 1 SBR’s.

I’m new to the NFA game, but my understanding is trustees can be added to either the single shot or standard trusts after the stamp is approved, without them getting finger prints.

When filing for a stamp, everyone on the trust has to submit fingerprints and paperwork. Personally, I don’t want to inconvenience my wife by having her need to go do it, especially multiple times. Not to mention her needing to “know” if I pick up a new toy.

Having each trust contain limited property may also be beneficial from a legality/lawsuit standpoint if that happens at some point, despite requiring keeping track of additional paperwork.

Comment

Can QuestionS

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                                I went with the individual single shot trusts for each of my 3 cans, but then had to set up a standard trust for Form 1 SBR’s.

I’m new to the NFA game, but my understanding is trustees can be added to either the single shot or standard trusts after the stamp is approved, without them getting finger prints.

When filing for a stamp, everyone on the trust has to submit fingerprints and paperwork. Personally, I don’t want to inconvenience my wife by having her need to go do it, especially multiple times. Not to mention her needing to “know” if I pick up a new toy.

Having each trust contain limited property may also be beneficial from a legality/lawsuit standpoint if that happens at some point, despite requiring keeping track of additional paperwork.

My trust is set up the same way regarding provisional or temporary trustees.

If I had bought a trust for every single NFA item I own, the cost would have been [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

Also many places where you have your prints done electronically can be kept and used on other submissions.

Both fingerprints and photos have to be updated every so often though.

Comment

Working...
                                X