East Texas DCNF Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas DCNF Hunt

Poor buddy of mine was just about convinced that all the deer relocated in DCNF when he showed up. He has never shot a buck larger than a spike before.

He harvested his 8 point Saturday morning at 9:45 a.m..... Not just a great buck, but a great buck for being fair chase, and on public land. Not to mention his first good buck, and let alone with a bow. Weighed in at 199#'s on the hoof.

He's ruined for sure. It was a great weekend to be up there. With the moon phase and the cool weather, they were on the move for sure. I’m heading back this weekend. I’m going to have a hard time convincing him to shoot a doe now.

He just bought this bow this last summer, it’s a PSE Bow Madness, and he was using muzzy MX-3 100 grain broad heads. He was hunting about 25 to 28 feet. As close as the buck was when he shot, the broad head clipped his spine and dropped him in his tracks. I can only imagine the next few minutes that followed for him, I would have loved to have been a fly on the tree next to him…

** couldn't post pic's due to not having a >5 posts. Guess that will be later in life.

Chris

That is doing it the hard way. Congrats to your buddy on a really big deer. Now let's get that post count up so you can get those pictures up.

Comment

Nice! I was out there 2 weeks ago, and the only deer i saw were 300 yards away.
      I will be going back in another couple weeks, so hopefully his papa is still around

Comment

We'll be back up this weekend (have to meet the a/c guy for a litte a/c tune up), then the Wednesday prior to opening of rifle season to finish up the end of bow season, then stay through the opening week of rifle season.

We generally hunt around the entrance to the forest off of 358 (Claude Davis), and up to the end of 502 depending on where they are logging. I did go scout the north end of the forest up towards Rusk earlier this year, and might donate some effort up there during rifle season (just a good clip from the house, so all depends on time) . Saw allot of good sign, and some good growth on recent select cuts. Gotta love a fresh patch of mulberry's.....

WHOOOP, post #3, two more and the pictures are flying in.

Chris

Comment

Keep the post's coming so we can see the pics.

Comment

Here they are, along with a couple of misc. ones from this last weekend. He cut it close on the AR, but I taped it at 13 1/2" and the taxidermist taped it at 13 5/8". Good first buck for him. Now I'm going to have to convince him to work on harvesting a doe b/f rifle season kicks off.

Comment

LOL, his pants were at end of life after a long drag out of the woods. My photo editing is not up to par (I tried). Oh well, he'll just have to understand, or fix it himself.

Comment

Congrats to your buddy on a nice buck.

Comment

nice buck

Comment

thanks for all your help chris!! thats one of the highlights of my life!!

Comment

Anything w/a bow in my eyes is a "highlight" in my life. You stuck to it. You deserved it.

Comment

and i top of it all i dont care if everyone sees my drawers!!!! guess next we need to find one of his girlfriends this weekend!

Comment

Thumbs up on the public lands buck. Now get after the girls.
                          Congrats.

Comment

Great job! That huge body could easily throw you off trying to guess his spread - glad he made the cut.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X