Pagosa Springs Area Winter Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagosa Springs Area Winter Weather

I have hunted in Unit 78, Just southeast of Pagosa Springs in late September. Enjoyed the area and thinking of taking a trip back just to explore. For those familiar with the area, or southern Colorado in general, what can I expect month to month with regard to snow coverage, road issues, etc? Looking at late November to go, but don't want to deal with road issues towing an RV.

Well ski season starts in November if that tells you anything. If you're going over Wolf Creek Pass I don't know that I would pull an RV.

Comment

It's kind of hit and miss. I have been there in November and had heavy snow fall in some years and not much in others. We went in the first week of March and there wasn't much snow until you got over 9000 feet. Their snow mostly comes from western fronts, if California has an El Nino then they get lots of snow usually. The roads down low like in town or between Pagosa and Durango is usually good but Wolf Creek closes sometimes.

Comment

Hunted same unit in October and it was warm during day and high 20's at night. But 3 weeks earlier had a ton of snow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. About what I figured, makes it brutal to plan for. Avg temps look well above freezing during the day, but all depends on fronts. Wolf creek wont be an issue, would be going just south of pagosa springs, coming up through NM- clines corners, santa fe, chama.

Comment

I’ve pulled a horse trailer that way during the 4th season and had no major issues. Wolf creek can get a little hairy at times but you said you will be staying south of there. Take some chains for the tires and you should be alright, but I would still pay close attention to the forecast because anything could always change in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Late November ,after Thanksgiving, may be a slow time of the year for skiing and recreation. You may find a good deal on a neat cabin instead of the rv.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                Thanks guys. About what I figured, makes it brutal to plan for. Avg temps look well above freezing during the day, but all depends on fronts. Wolf creek wont be an issue, would be going just south of pagosa springs, coming up through NM- clines corners, santa fe, chama.
                That's the way we always went and the good thing is if a storm hits you can get to lower country fairly quick, the hill coming out of Chama is the only tough spot from Pagosa.

Comment

It ranges from dry and warm, to snowplow, to impassable.

Comment

Working...
                  X