Galveston Party Boat - Tips Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston Party Boat - Tips Needed

Doing the 12 hour offshore trip on the Buccaneer. Any tips on what kinds of bait and rigs to bring to get into some different fish than just the vermillion/red snappers they are going to put us over with the cut squid? Like grouper or something? Thanks in advance.

What time of year you going?

Comment

2 weeks from now

Comment

We would always take live piggy perch and catch way bigger sows than the rest of the boat. I am not sure if they let you do that anymore and if they do I think they might make you share with the entire boat. Best bet if possible is get a group of guys together and split a charter. A little more expensive but well worth the price if you have a good captain.

Comment

Buy a few snapper slappers. Also, get some frozen cigar minnows. Hook through the eyes and put a piece of the cut squid on to help keep the minnow on. Bring a few towels to wipe hands...gets messy. For grouper, may try some live bait (like piggy perch stated above) or anything else that is available.

Some of the party boats do offer cigar minnows for extra money in addition to the cut squid. I'd either stop at a bait shop and buy a box of my own or verify the boat will have some available.

Oh and not all snapper are right down on the bottom. Sometimes a few of the larger ones are lurking a bit higher in the water column. Try dropping straight to the bottom and then cranking up a few yards.

Comment

I have seen some bring ribbonfish for kings.

Comment

get at the rear of the boat and free line out a cigar minnow or ribbon fish with a little steel on one rod and then catch your bottom fish with another.

Comment

Thanks guys. Will hit up the local Asian grocery store and pick up some ribbon fish to bring.

Comment

book the back of the boat if it isnt already taken

Comment

12hr in two weeks? No snapper and no kingfish. Rough as ****. Not trying to be a total buzz kill, but cancel this trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                      12hr in two weeks? No snapper and no kingfish. Rough as ****. Not trying to be a total buzz kill, but cancel this trip.
                      Snapper season does not open until the summer. Kings are probably not going to be back either. Good chance for B Liners or queen snapper if they go deep enough. Catch live bait near the boat before y’all go out with sabiki rig or perch hook with small pieces of shrimp. For grouper use live bait on the bottom, or vertical jigs. Good luck, but like others said I would wait until later in the year.

Comment

Yep, its gonna be rough out there, but some (like me) like going out in "Victory at Sea" conditions. Nothing keeps the tourist crowd down like being 40 miles offshore in 7-10's. Or they stay inside seasick and out of your way. Bring a little hook file to keep your hook razor sharp with. Remember when your hook hits the bottom, in 30 seconds you'll either have a fish or have an empty hook, so stay sharp.
                        Last edited by Ruark; 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I doubt the 12 hour will make it deep enough to have a real shot at grouper.

Comment

Working...
                          X