Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    In my district, payroll and benefits is 85% of our annual budget. That is a significant amount in any organization. For seven years, I was intimately involved in the finances of our district and I can tell you that there was very little waste and alternatively very little opportunity to save money. The state and sometimes federal government dictates too much about HOW money can be spent. Most people just don't understand that "Independent" school district isn't as independent as it was meant to be...If you take the kings gold, you dance to the king's music.

My answer is a "NO" in this case because I'm in the minority that think teachers are fairly compensated...at least in my area.
    I'm typically on board with your opinions but we vastly disagree here. Educators spend more time with your kids than you do and you want to pay them a babysitters wage? Does your district receive 'Robin Hood' money or fork it out?

See post above. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      I'm typically on board with your opinions but we vastly disagree here. Educators spend more time with your kids than you do and you want to pay them a babysitters wage? Does your district receive 'Robin Hood' money or fork it out?

You’d do well to keep agreeing with me. My district starts teachers at about $55k now. Is that babysitting wages to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

See post above. LOL
        What about all the people that don't have kids and have been paying into the system for years (me)?

Or had kids that graduated long ago?

Comment

Money isnt the issue that teachers are leaving...its the parents of the kids they teach.

No amount of money could be paid to teach some peoples kids. If the implication is that teachers should not want more because the got into the profession and THAT money is the reason is foolish.

They dont like you ...your kid they work with.

Comment

You’d do well to keep agreeing with me. My district starts teachers at about $55k now. Is that babysitting wages to you?

Right, but their raise every year is typically less than the increase in insurance cost.....you didn't answer the question? Does your district receive or donate compensation? And they will start at $55K and finish at $65k after working more years due to the 'number' being increased over the years. And TRS is being compromised. We could go on and on....I'm in agreement that teachers had a decision in their choice of career but things have changed drastically for a lot of folks since they started, and not for the better.

Comment

No and No again. They already have the money they choose to spend it carelessly on things not needed. They need to overhaul there current situation and stop the reckless spending.

Comment

Right, but their raise every year is typically less than the increase in insurance cost.....you didn't answer the question? Does your district receive or donate compensation? And they will start at $55K and finish at $65k after working more years due to the 'number' being increased over the years. And TRS is being compromised. We could go on and on....I'm in agreement that teachers had a decision in their choice of career but things have changed drastically for a lot of folks since they started, and not for the better.

Our district is definitely on the receiving end. An economically disadvantaged district.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                  Money isnt the issue that teachers are leaving...its the parents of the kids they teach.

No amount of money could be paid to teach some peoples kids. If the implication is that teachers should not want more because the got into the profession and THAT money is the reason is foolish.

They dont like you ...your kid they work with.
                  To an extent. It's more to the effect of admin, govt, society not allowing them to do anything about 'some peoples kids'

Comment

Our district is definitely on the receiving end. An economically disadvantaged district.

There you have it. I'm assuming you have fairly nice facilities as well....I don't know that for a fact but that's typically the way it works.

Comment

Curt you have to realize that your local district is a unique situation, right? I have 27 yrs experience and make a base pay of $56K. I get a $1K stipend for being Senior class sponsor and Department head and another $500.00 for my Masters. This is much more common. Btw I’m not complaining as I knew the game when I started.

First let me say I have no problem with how much I am paid versus my work load. My whole issue with pay for teachers is that I have seen numerous wonderful teachers leave the profession-not because of kids and not because of parents-but simply because they can make more money elsewhere. If we want the best teachers for our youngsters then we better find a way to keep the good ones around because I’m telling you we are losing good teachers at a rapid rate. Unfortunately most of the time we replace them less experienced and/or less qualified teachers.

Comment

Most of America’s workforce raises every year, is typically less than the insurance increase and cost of living. Welcome to the club, know stop complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                          Most of America’s workforce raises every year, is typically less than the insurance increase and cost of living. Welcome to the club, know stop complaining.
                          Pay the teachers

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
                            I'm not a teacher. You do realize that education is probably way more important than any other single career right? Especially since parents these days are incompetent

this explains a lot......

Comment

Nope. Property taxes are way too high, and I’m sick of paying for big administration salaries and giant stadiums. Get the spending under control then we can talk, but until then I’ll vote against it every time.

Comment

I vote yes to raise our teachers income thru taxes.

I am not a teacher nor sleep with one.
                                There is so much color commentary I could give but I am answering the question as it was put.

Comment

Working...
                                X