Wood lathe dos and don’ts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood lathe dos and don’ts

For beginners including your recommendations for a brand. Don’t have one yet but considering a purchase. Can quality lathe’s run off of 110 or do they require 220?

I am pretty sure, that you can get a good wood lathe, that is 110V. Beyond that, I don't know much about them. I have a buddy who is a cabinet maker, I know he has a wood lathe, then I have seen others. I know those were all 110V. Definitely a 220V would be a stronger motor, that would be able to spin heavier pieces of wood.

Comment

Thanks man. That was my thought as well. So step one would be to decide on how you’ll use it. I like the bowls and vases I’ve seen on line.

Comment

Lathes that run on 110 will be able to do almost anything. For bigger bowls and such, you will want a lathe with a higher swing over bed.

Comment

I have wanted to get into turning wood for years, but I just don't have the time for that hobby yet. My buddy who has the wood lathe, uses his maybe once a year, to maybe once every five years. He very rarely uses it. I am sure if I ever wanted to try turning some wood, I could borrow his lathe. But I still don't have time to start learning and making stuff.

Comment

High speed you gotta use layman terms for the in experienced. What is a swing over bed?

Comment

I bought a harbor freight one a couple years ago as a intro. Making game calls and other little projects. So far no complaints. Just depends how deep you want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                High speed you gotta use layman terms for the in experienced. What is a swing over bed?
                The gap between the lathe center and the bed. Sometimes larger lathes have a gap bed which allows you to turn slightly larger pieces. The price of small lathes is just about the same as you can get a good vintage large lathe for. Lots of decent vintage Craftsman's around for 100.00. That'd be a great way to start.

Comment

JET is a good brand of lathe.

Comment

I had a Craftsman that belonged to my Grandfather. I used it a bit and turned table legs, bed posts, etc. It was 110 and did everything I wanted it to do. Not everything goes high speed, especially starting a turning. I quit using it several years ago and a cousin's son took it from me so it could stay in the family. I enjoyed it when I was doing it but only used it for certain projects I was building at the time. If you have time to learn it, it can be enjoyable.

Comment

Tagging

Comment

Don’t use while wearing a tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Don’t use while wearing a tie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          lol, wow no doubt. I've used one once or twice but after watching others use one in shop class and the piece come off the spindle, I think I'll pass.

Comment

I started turning a little over a year ago and am really enjoying it.
                            I have a Jet 1221VS and it will do about anything that interests me for years to come.

Just last week I turned this coyote dragger for a friend out of a pice of random hardwood I had.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by WyoBull; 12-05-2021, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Don't do what a friend of mine did. He bought a used lathe with no motor. that was ok.
                              But he grabbed a motor that fit and proceeded to fire it up.

Had belts on low-medium speed with about a 4" square piece of maple in the spindle-center.

Fired it up and glad he was standing back. It slung that piece of maple all the way around (up one wall and went to the other) the room.

He put a 3600 rpm motor on. I think most of the take 1750!

Comment

Working...
                              X