Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Cool Academy

It seems like half the time I go in there the price on the shelf is different and much less than the price at the register. Today I bought something that said $49.99 on the shelf but it rang up $56.99. So I said I didn't think that was right and please check. I mean I could be wrong and maybe I read the wrong tag on the shelf. Plus most of the things I looked at did not have a tag on the shelf.

It took a little time but the manager finally came over and authorized the $49.99 and walked away. I asked, "was I right?" The cashier said the manager was tired of me waiting and adjusted the price for me.

Uh, what??
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

If you are talking about ammo, none of it seems to be near the correct price tab.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #3
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

We were checking out there on black Friday and at one point all four registers near us were stopped because people were arguing prices. Manager was running around like crazy.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Im sure they are just like everyone else. Prices are changing faster than any of us have time to get staff to manually update bin location tags.

updating price lists is easy. Manually doing tags is a whole different headache.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northern Duval Co.

They have price readers on end caps strategically located throughout the store.

I use them all the time. They come in handy.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
KIETHSTONE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack

I bought a cap that was to be 8.99. I paid 0.88 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KIETHSTONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
3rdCoastHunter
Eight Point

I wish I could hold a box of shells at academy and actually get to use the price reader..
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule Skinner View Post

If you can find one that works.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #9
Jegriffin
Nubbin' Buck

Happens to me all the time. Their return policy was nice back in the day.
Jegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
Sometimes you just have to scan multiple times back to back and it will work.
Have had to do that lately here in SA.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
It seems like half the time I go in there the price on the shelf is different and much less than the price at the register. Today I bought something that said $49.99 on the shelf but it rang up $56.99. So I said I didn't think that was right and please check. I mean I could be wrong and maybe I read the wrong tag on the shelf. Plus most of the things I looked at did not have a tag on the shelf.

It took a little time but the manager finally came over and authorized the $49.99 and walked away. I asked, "was I right?" The cashier said the manager was tired of me waiting and adjusted the price for me.

Uh, what??
I take a quick picture of the price tag on shelf now. Simple to do and comes in handy about 1 in 3 checkouts. Same with other stores when I think I find a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post
Im sure they are just like everyone else. Prices are changing faster than any of us have time to get staff to manually update bin location tags.

updating price lists is easy. Manually doing tags is a whole different headache.
Nope - been like this way before things got crazy.

Quote:

And they're not accurate either.

I bought a Penn rod/reel combo. Reel alone in display case was $149 Combo said $159 but scanner said $199. Employee scanned it for me at gun counter and it came up $199. I went to checkout and it rang up $159. LOL
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
Hunteraudit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Yeah I’ve experienced the same exact scenario at the Helotes academy several times. If that’s true that they don’t have time to update price on shelf then don’t update the electronic price list either. If you want to avoid annoyed customers at least.
Hunteraudit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #13
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

That is called good customer service!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I never said it was ammo.

And, manually changing the tags should not be a problem for the 4-6 people standing around talking about last nights party or yesterday's classes or that weird lady wanting to buy hunting stuff.

Not changing the tags but changing the register to a higher price is called false advertising and it is illegal.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #15
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunteraudit View Post
Yeah I’ve experienced the same exact scenario at the Helotes academy several times. If that’s true that they don’t have time to update price on shelf then don’t update the electronic price list either. If you want to avoid annoyed customers at least.
Na your better off to update pricing. Make up the profit difference on the 1000s of customers that dont catch it. And then just deal with the ones that do.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #16
dclifton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
I take a quick picture of the price tag on shelf now. Simple to do and comes in handy about 1 in 3 checkouts. Same with other stores when I think I find a good deal.

Nope - been like this way before things got crazy.

And they're not accurate either.

I bought a Penn rod/reel combo. Reel alone in display case was $149 Combo said $159 but scanner said $199. Employee scanned it for me at gun counter and it came up $199. I went to checkout and it rang up $159. LOL

I bet its worse now. I have only experienced things ringing up cheaper. which im not going to complain about.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #17
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
This!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
Jason Fry
Ten Point

Hunt In: Toe Nail Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclifton View Post

Exactly this.

Here's how it worked when I was a manager at Academy, although this was several years ago. Corporate buyer and inventory types change the prices electronically and send an email with the price changes to each store's inventory control people. The inventory folks (assuming they're scheduled or the positions aren't vacant or whatever) then have the job of going around and fixing the tags. Usually there's a couple of days between the email and the official price change.

Sometimes the store managers also would take care of or delegate this task, but usually it was inventory.

If you're there before noon, you'll see employees working on that kind of stuff. If you're there in the evening, those folks tend to be customer service types, and the primary evening jobs are helping customers and putting the store back in order after the day. Those folks "standing around," tags aren't their job.

You're a little right, it is the store's responsibility to make sure that the tags match the prices. But you're wrong to assume it's simple.
Jason Fry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 05:32 PM   #19
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

It's retail. They deal with people who think their **** don't stink all day every day, and they don't make squat for doing it.

Basically they have no incentive to keep up with anything. And as frustrating as it is for the customer, I don't blame. I'd rather live in a box under an overpass than work retail.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #20
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northern Duval Co.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
It's retail. They deal with people who think their **** don't stink all day every day, and they don't make squat for doing it.

Basically they have no incentive to keep up with anything. And as frustrating as it is for the customer, I don't blame. I'd rather live in a box under an overpass than work retail.
And there lies the problem. People would rather live in a box under an overpass and survive on the income of others rather than work to provide for themselves and their families.

The incentive is called a paycheck.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 06:07 PM   #21
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Had not been in an Academy store in 4 or 5 months. The last two days I have gone for different items.......zero issues! I better not geaux for another 4 or 5 months......lol!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #22
SabineHunter
Ten Point

There is absolutely zero excuse for the item to ring up different from the price. To me, the price changer was in the top 5 positions of the store, very, very important.
When I ran Kroger stores and the one HEB, first thing I would do after taking over a store is have a store wide shelf tag survey where any item that didn't match the shelf price was pulled. (Just one item per error). I did this at midnight, closing the store, and had plenty of people assist. Once the item was investigated and corrected, it was checked off.
There are many reasons I did this. 1. Customer satisfaction and confidence. 2. Inventory control. 3. It showed my employees I was serious about our price integrity.

I also had in place where if an item was in error, either way, it was given to the customer free and my price changer was tasked with investigating and correcting the error the next morning. My price changer usually worked 4 am to noon so they wouldn't have to worry about customer service, just change prices. I would also do periodic mini-audits to make sure prices were right.

Store managers that allow more than the very occasional pricing error are lazy.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #23
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Switch boxes

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #24
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

You ever pay attention at an Academy to see who's working and who's not. Everytime I go there are 2:1 ratio of avoiding work vs working. Most are poorly managed.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #25
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
That is called good customer service!
I call having listed prices lower than charged prices deceptive trade practice. :-). I guess it is all perspective.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 11:56 PM   #26
Abctx
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
You ever pay attention at an Academy to see who's working and who's not. Everytime I go there are 2:1 ratio of avoiding work vs working. Most are poorly managed.
I like Academy, but I agree. Seems like there’s always 5-10 “managers” standing around, accomplishing nothing, and not enough foljs working registers and helping customers. Too many chiefs, not enough indians....
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #27
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
And there lies the problem. People would rather live in a box under an overpass and survive on the income of others rather than work to provide for themselves and their families.

The incentive is called a paycheck.
I’ve worked retail. They call it “retail hell” for a reason. And living in a box under a freeway isn’t being supported by the income of anyone.

Anyway, my point was simply to underscore how bad working retail sucks.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 02:32 AM   #28
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

That store in college station sucks. You will be lucky to find the price even listed on the shelf.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #29
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
And, manually changing the tags should not be a problem for the 4-6 people standing around talking about last nights party or yesterday's classes or that weird lady wanting to buy hunting stuff.

Not changing the tags but changing the register to a higher price is called false advertising and it is illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaio1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abctx View Post
I like Academy, but I agree. Seems like there’s always 5-10 “managers” standing around, accomplishing nothing, and not enough foljs working registers and helping customers. Too many chiefs, not enough indians....
This has been going on for years.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #30
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
That store in college station sucks. You will be lucky to find the price even listed on the shelf.
So there's never any price discrepancy
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #31
Ouch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a camo banana hammock.

I bought a bucket of baseballs a couple months ago (typically ~$50). When it rang up at $19.99, I paid it and kept my face shut. Went back and grabbed 3 more buckets (all 4 were identical brand, size, etc.) and sent the wife through the line with them... two rang up at correct price and one rang up at $74.99 ().

I reckon they win some and they lose some.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top