Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb
Default A lease without corn feeders?

I’ve hunted deer on deer leases over corn feeders for almost 20 years. When digital game cameras came out I started pointing them at feeders. I’ve hunted in the hill country, west Texas, north Texas and it’s all been the same.

Fast forward to this year and I leased a place in Western Webb county. As a group, we were a little discouraged early on because the game cameras picked up the same few “feeder rats” that came in daily and none were that impressive. But after spreading corn in the senderos and hunting a few times we are seeing tons of deer that we don’t have on camera and that never go to the feeder. I was always aware that some deer avoid feeders but now I’m starting to question whether I need a corn feeder at all on this lease. Any of you South Texas guys not use corn feeders and only corn the roads? Deep South Texas hunting is new to me so please school me!
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #2
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

I've never been without corn feeders, but on the place I bowhunt, my set up is over 100 yards from the feeder and I just hand corn it when I hunt. It seems like my frequency of getting busted almost got eliminated and the deer are far less nervous away from the feed pen area.

I could see where you might have great success if your blind is set up on long roads to just have protein stations that don't get hunted and just corn the roads with a road feeder when you hunt.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
Abu_dude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

well, we definitely are not in South Texas but I've started adding cameras this year to high traffic travel corridors and common areas where we usually see a lot of rut action. Like you, I am seeing a lot more animals that we don't see a the feeders. We also see cruisers that coming through that we never see again!
Abu_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Goldensammy
Eight Point

Regardless of location, it is my experience that mature bucks will very rarely hit a feeder. If they do, 99% of the time it is at night. I've had much better luck with hand corn. The best option is, of course, a hot doe. If that feeder keeps doe close, it is worth it to keep it running.

For where I hunt, I could do with out feeders and be just as successful. I've never shot a buck eating corn.
Goldensammy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

I hunted a ranch out of Laredo that was 12,000 acres and zero feeders. We fed the roads and it worked great. We even tried to put in a feeder for a couple years and the corn piled up under it, deer were not interested. On our ranch now, we have feeders but I also have lots of spots that are handcorn only. See tons of deer at those spots too.

Last edited by lanceodom; 12-01-2021 at 11:12 AM.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
splitbeam145
Ten Point

Corn feeders are good to keep deer around year round and then doing season you can spread corn out on senderos to see other deer on camera that don’t come into feeders. Think of it this way. Some people like to hang out together and drink and eat. Some are noisy and have to try everything in sight. These are your corn rats. Then some people just sit back and watch the people while sipping on whiskey and eating their little appetizer and just kind of in back ground. These are usually your smarter people. These are your sendero deer. These are usually the bigger and more skittish deer. I’ve had GREAT LUCK with isolated bait pile using corn and rice bran to see bigger deer and deer no one else sees cause they’re staring at feeder for 3-4hrs.
splitbeam145 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
powderburner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zapata-San Ygnacio

I hunt in south texas. and have not run corn feeders for almost 10 years. We feed the roads and set cameras on trails coming and going from areas where we know them to hang out.

We are changing it up a little as we have a new high fence around 50% of the property and will have cotton seed and protein in areas

But we do not have any feeders running
powderburner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderburner View Post
I hunt in south texas. and have not run corn feeders for almost 10 years. We feed the roads and set cameras on trails coming and going from areas where we know them to hang out.

We are changing it up a little as we have a new high fence around 50% of the property and will have cotton seed and protein in areas

But we do not have any feeders running
It may take a bit for the deer to get in to the cottonseed but they will. Our body weights are so much better with us feeding it.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Death from Above
Pope & Young

I haven't killed a mature buck under a feeder in 20 years...
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
Deerguy
Ten Point

It's good to keep a few feeders active for the kiddos or guests for does/management deer/javies/hogs. Hunt the big deer elsewhere.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #11
Mule Skinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northern Duval Co.

In south Texas yes, just feed the roads. No feeders needed.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #12
44mAG
Ten Point

If I could make it to the lease at least three times a week and corn roads, I wouldn't need feeders, but I can only make it about once a month year around. The main reason I like feeders is it does a good job of keeping the does in your area. And we all know that if you have the does around during hunting season, you will also have the bucks.

Like you, it is crazy that when we corn the roads when hunting, the deer eat all that corn first and don't go to the feeder. Even though they don't have that road corn 98% of the time.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #13
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

So - how often do you feed the roads? Can't be there very day. Seems I hold a lot more does with consistent feeders - the live bait I prefer to have this time of year.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #14
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I hunted a place in South Texas that had corn feeders, but the biggest bucks were generally killed corning roads.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassnItOn View Post
So - how often do you feed the roads? Can't be there very day. Seems I hold a lot more does with consistent feeders - the live bait I prefer to have this time of year.
I hunt about every other weekend and I road corn a lot. Probably 50lbs per sit because I have multiple senderos to look down. I have my feeder cranked way up and it throws a lot too. There are plenty of resident doe in the area because I see them in the senderos but very rarely at the feeder, even when no bucks are at the feeder. Its almost always the same handful of bucks that eat all the feeder corn. I'm getting the impression that there are resident does herds that just live in the area regardless of the feeder.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #16
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

I build feed pens 48ft in circumference out of halved cattle panels and pour out 100lbs of corn a week in them on the ground. to me this works great for mature bucks.

For areas that I cant get to weekly I use what I call buffet tables as I feel deer are not near as shy around free choice feeders as they are timed feeders. I like to make a table about 3.5ft tall and put a 55 gallon barrel on top with two 1.5 inch holes drilled just above the bottom band so corn falls out onto the table. Deer will eat off the table and the corn stays up off the ground and the drum holds about 300lbs of corn.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #17
WillowCity2506
Six Point

Hunt In: Willow City Loop

I need a lease like this. Who has a spot opening up in STX?
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 01:55 PM   #18
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I shot a 6+yo buck at a feeder second weekend of archery season.
It's great to corn roads/senderos and hunt with a rifle. With a bow it's a little trickier. I've done it successfully and it's true the deer tend to eat there before going to the feeder. But it is always the same deer I see at my feeders.
I do believe there are deer that avoid feeders. But they aren't all trophies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
powderburner
Ten Point

For bow blinds we spread corn out around it

Now for reference. Most broadcast feeders spin 15 seconds or less 2 times a day.
That is probably half a pound.

I have put 2 tons of corn on the ground in 8 days this last month.
I feed around 50-80lbs of corn on the road per blind per hunt.
Gun or bow it does not matter.

But we counted 40 deer between 3 stands Monday.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #20
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

If I did that here in East Texas this is what I would see.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #21
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

You couldn’t hunt our place without a feeder. Well, unless you were there every 2-3 days. We have killed 1 deer over 170,” a few deer over 150” and many 140” or over. I know that’s not that much compared to South Texas, but it is where we are. Feeders are a great tool on our place for killing a trophy.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Some deer ARE NOT feeder deer.. Set up cameras on roads and trails, away from feeders, and you will see bucks that never come around feeders.. Seen it many times..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #23
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I dont use blinds or feeders. I setup on natural runs and trails. No cameras. I like not knowing what's there. I just enjoy the challenge and the chase.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #24
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydog View Post
I dont use blinds or feeders. I setup on natural runs and trails. No cameras. I like not knowing what's there. I just enjoy the challenge and the chase.

yep, did it most of my life and saw/killed many deer that way. Natural crossings, game trails, clear cuts, pipelines, instinct, etc. etc. Of course, other people on here think I'm egotistical, far from it. I just know what works.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #25
SabineHunter
Ten Point

I've hunted feeders and without feeders. All the bucks on my wall have never eaten corn or any bait.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #26
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
You couldn’t hunt our place without a feeder. Well, unless you were there every 2-3 days. We have killed 1 deer over 170,” a few deer over 150” and many 140” or over. I know that’s not that much compared to South Texas, but it is where we are. Feeders are a great tool on our place for killing a trophy.
I agree.
Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #27
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
If I did that here in East Texas this is what I would see.
And that's exactly what it looks like on our lease if you do this. They may not find it immediately, but when they do they've found it forever. You can not corn that spot for a year, but the next time you do they'll be on it they've been sitting there waiting that whole time.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #28
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Hunt In: East TX-Harrison County

I have been complaining for years about not seeing deer on my 40 acres in Harrison County. So, I put 2 corn feeders on it 2 years ago and have run them year round to try and pull deer onto the property. I'm surrounded by deer leases and property owners. This year my buddy came in and planted me a food plot. I hunted that property all last week and saw 2 deer and it was too dark to tell what they were. One feeder pooped out last week so I dumped it and pulled the battery and moved it out of the way. Now, I'm going to try having 1 feeder and hand corn. I only go about once a month so my hand corn will not be steady but I will pour it when I'm there and maybe freshen it with rice bran and I want to try the sweet feed. Its very difficult to hunt but I'm not giving up.
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #29
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
I hunt about every other weekend and I road corn a lot. Probably 50lbs per sit because I have multiple senderos to look down. I have my feeder cranked way up and it throws a lot too. There are plenty of resident doe in the area because I see them in the senderos but very rarely at the feeder, even when no bucks are at the feeder. Its almost always the same handful of bucks that eat all the feeder corn. I'm getting the impression that there are resident does herds that just live in the area regardless of the feeder.
That’s a lot of road corn compared to what the feeder throws. Do you see a big difference in quality bucks on the road corn verses on the feeder that is there next to it?

I haven’t really done it much here recent but I used to tailgate feed heavy around my corn feeder at my bow blind. You’ll definitely have a lot more deer show up because of the extra 50lbs of corn on the ground vs what ever the corn amount the feeder throws. My feeder throws 7 times a day and the deer clean that up in minutes.

If you are talking about rifle hunting then no, you don’t need a feeder. Road Corning your senderos is very effective.

Last edited by Bone Thug; 12-01-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

I have not filled a feeder in 12-14 years at my lease. I have one in the back yard for fun
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #31
WillowCity2506
Six Point

Hunt In: Willow City Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddydog View Post

I agree with both posts

The challenge of setting up on a natural trail and finding a way to blend in, and then seal the deal on a great animal is a completely different game.

That's not to say setting up a blind or hanging in a tree near a feeder isn't a challenge all its own. They are just different. I think we all get into bow hunting for different reasons. Mine was to get out of a box stand and drop the rifle for a while. It's been an eye opener and I Love It.

My bow hunting style has changed every year and I've become a better hunter. I'll hunt over feeders or find good natural browse. Whatever gets me in the woods and away from work.
WillowCity2506 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #32
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Thug View Post
That’s a lot of road corn. Do you see a big difference in quality bucks on the road corn verses on the feeder that is there next to it?

I haven’t really done it much here recent but I used to tailgate feed heavy around my corn feeder at my bow blind. You’ll definitely have a lot more deer show up because of the extra 50lbs of corn on the ground vs what ever the corn amount the feeder throws. My feeder throws 7 times a day and the deer clean that up in minutes.

If you are talking about rifle hunting then no, you don’t need a feeder. Road Corning your senderos is very effective.
I have seen some good bucks that did not go to the feeder and who I don't have any pictures of. But I have also seen older, fully mature deer at the feeder, just no good shooters yet. The main takeaway for me is that there are a lot more deer out there than the ones who I get on camera at my feeder. And this didn't seem to be the case in San Saba or NW Kinney County, or Jacksboro on prior leases. There are always deer who don't go to feeders everywhere but it seems to be more the rule than the exception here. We felt like we could do a pretty good inventory based on feeder pictures on prior leases but not here. It was just surprising the first few hunts. Deer come out of the woodwork to feed in the senderos.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #33
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co

Not like running feeders year-round but as far as hunting if I had my preference I would never hunt over a feeder again. My only problem is trying to keep and corn consistent when you don’t live close to the lease. The deer are way more calm and move about more freely on hand corner or road but you must refresh it at least once a week. If you do not have Cales you can put out 50 to 100 pounds at a time and it will last a couple weeks typically but if you do have livestock they will get on it and take it over quickly.Pigs will do the same. But like I said if I had my preference in my lease is close by I would never hunt a corn feeder again.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #34
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I don't do the lease game anymore, but grew up (basically) on a ranch in Zavala county. I can't say I ever saw a mature buck taken at a feeder, but plenty were killed in corned roads and chasing doe in the area. Keep the feeders active to hold doe in the area, when they come into season that scent will be like gold.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #35
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

We have big older bucks (5 years plus) that will and do regularly come to feeder. Are they there all the time? Nah, but they don’t have a problem coming to them. But that’s not ALL the bigger deer, I can think of a few cases that once a buck hit maturity or post maturity he went ghost. You may see them slip by a feeder but it was random. They definitely have their own personalities on our place.

Back home, I can only think of one old buck that I shot under a feeder and he showed up at nearly 10 am. All the rest from home were on a doe or in food plots/corned scendero
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #36
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
I have seen some good bucks that did not go to the feeder and who I don't have any pictures of. But I have also seen older, fully mature deer at the feeder, just no good shooters yet. The main takeaway for me is that there are a lot more deer out there than the ones who I get on camera at my feeder. And this didn't seem to be the case in San Saba or NW Kinney County, or Jacksboro on prior leases. There are always deer who don't go to feeders everywhere but it seems to be more the rule than the exception here. We felt like we could do a pretty good inventory based on feeder pictures on prior leases but not here. It was just surprising the first few hunts. Deer come out of the woodwork to feed in the senderos.
Gotcha. I agree. There are definitely more deer than the feeder or camera will ever show. If it’s a new lease it may just take some time to get that spot/lease established for the way y’all are feeding. I’d keep Corning around your feeder like you are doing. In time it should start showing itself unless the place was abused before y’all got it.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #37
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

I don't archery hunt the feeders. I will set up on the trails between the feeders and see deer i didn't know i had.
sharpstick35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #38
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty County

I turned off feeders one year and E Texas and started hand corning only.

The amount of deer traffic increase and quality was quite surprising. We even were headed on a path to remove all corn feeders and do away with them at our spots.

We decided to fence all the feeder areas out and this was a game changer. It kept the hogs at bay, which in turn were previously running all the deer off.

We still have a bunch of deer that absolutely avoid the feeders, but also have some feeder gluttons as well. We have gone to hand corning right aways in conjunction of feeding soybean/corn mix in the feeders.

I still hunt other areas as well away from the feeders, and years like we are having now, I am seeing WAY more deer feeding on natural browse than anyone is overlooking their feeders.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #39
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick35 View Post
I don't archery hunt the feeders. I will set up on the trails between the feeders and see deer i didn't know i had.
Not much bow for me these days. Having a 6yo hunting buddy who is sometimes even too loud for rifle hunting keeps the rifle in my hands. Haha
Old 12-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #40
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

When we hunted south Texas for many years we never used a feeder, we also never heard of a feeder for most of the years we hunted down there. The way we did things, was someone, usually me got to sit on the tail gate and pour corn out of the bag, as someone else drove down the roads, on either side of the blind.

For years afterwards, I read stories about hogs scaring off deer from the feeders. When we hunted and corned up the roads, we could have a group or two of hogs out in the roads and multiple deer scattered along the roads, at the same time.

The deer and the hogs knew the game. They would hear us corning up the road, and start pouring out of the brush, often right behind the truck. I forgot, when we hunted in Tilden and outside of Encinal, those two places had javelina. We would always have plenty of javelina out in the roads, a lot more on the place outside of Encinal. We hunted there, we would often have quite a few deer, a lot of javelina, then some times some hogs out eating at the same time. Then the quail would show up, the place near Encinal, we would have both blues and bobwhites.

With all that activity, you would not get bored, then the place outside of Encinal, had a lot of big bucks, some just flat huge. By far the best place I have ever been on, it was nothing but an old cattle ranch surrounded by two large cattle ranches. No high fences, no protein, no game biologists.

Likely the place you are hunting has been corned up by trucks for years, that's what the deer know.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #41
ByronB
Pope & Young

I could go either way hunting in South Texas. When I did hunt in So TX we had plenty of feeders and a fair amount of tailgate feeder spots to choose from. I cannot say that I saw a huge difference in the maturity of deer that showed up to feeders or hand-feed spots. I was Bow Hunting only so there could be a difference feeding hundreds of yards of senderos versus a small area for bow hunting. I had fun either way.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2021, 10:53 PM   #42
Chompers
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills Co. TX

Similar to others above I also see deer away from feeders on road corn or hand corn (depending on location)that won’t come to the feeders. The deer seem more relaxed and will come out to these spots earlier in the evening and stick around later in the morning. One stand at our place has been the same setup with a box and a feeder for 9 years now. You can see down the road both to the left and right for 300 yards or so and started corning the road a few years back and I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve hunted there and had 20 or so deer on the road corn and not one go to the feeder, even with no pen around it.
Chompers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #43
BarBBar
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

If I had a place with no hogs, I would find my buck travel corridors/rubs on the edge of thick brush, set up a good blind in summer for a north wind, and two days before a cold front in early November before gun season, dump 50 pounds of corn twenty-five yards from the blind in my shooting lane. The next day after the front first blows through, get in the blind an hour before first light and hunt until 10 am.
BarBBar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #44
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

This is my second year experimenting in Liberty county. I have two stands on my lease. In one location i use a timed corn feeder, on the other i pour 100 lbs of corn every two weeks. I'm the only one on the lease using the heavy corn hand corn method. I see more game , and get better pictures than other members. So is it a better location, or the hand corn. I think it's the hand corn the deer are more relaxed, and less skittish.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #45
TheHammer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

I have also noticed that if you attempt to go the hand corn route, you better be able to do it regularly, because deer eventually figure out that you’re only Corning in a random spot it will throw up red flags when they’re spooking or constant shots. This is my experience anyway. If I can’t do it once a week, I’m just going corn feeder. Seems like every time I just hand corn once a month of every other month, deer get spooky. Mature deer hot feeders on our place, though. In fact almost every buck I can think of hit a feeder at some point regularly on our place.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #46
St59
Six Point

Hunt In: Jack, Montague, wise counties

My experience is if you’re wanting to shoot 3 and 4 year olds then feeders work great. Seems like after 4 they get pretty skittish and rarely visit feeders. I’ve had good luck doing small kill plots just off the feeder pens or setting up on scrape lines leading to the feeders
St59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 11:09 AM   #47
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

I think what you're seeing is pretty common. I believe the feeders and feed pens do a good job of keeping does and young bucks around at a minimum though. when the rut rolls around, you want all those does in the area.

If I had to put a number on my place, I'd guess somewhere around 20-25% of the bucks never step into a feed pen. Unfortunate because they're missing out on protein, but it is what it is.

during a typical hunt, 90% of the "nice" deer will be on the road corn, not in the feeder pen. They definitely prefer road corn to feeder corn.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #48
powderburner
Ten Point

When I moved south 20 years ago. We used feeders. We killed deer but what we saw was the Bucks would just cruise past looking. We started corning the roads. When we did the bucks would stop eat a bite maybe. look around and move on. That is all we needed was that pause.
I grew up with feeders. So I just knew that I could make it work.
I bought a cheap plastic feeder from Academy and a short stand and fill type.
Set a plan. Built a spreadsheet and set up a camera.
I wish I still had the spreadsheet but it was something like this.
Large feed pen
Small Feed Pen
No Feed Pen
Random
On Road
Off road
What I ended up with is that the deer did not like the tall feeders the low feeder they were much more comfortable with but still did not hang out like I was used to.

I then just went to only corn
Same exact locations
Large
small
etc.
I had significantly more deer and bigger bucks on camera the deer stayed around longer. They kept a coming around at all times of the day not just when they thought feed might be there. Even after the corn was gone they would still visit the location for a week or more.
That sold me. I stopped using feeders the next season and never looked back.

Feeders for me really only did one thing and that was keep the Fing Hogs around all the time.

Last edited by powderburner; 12-02-2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #49
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Every year on our place we have several good 4.5-5.5yr old bucks that just go missing at the start or half way through the season leading one to believe they got killed by a neighbor. No pictures for 2 years or so and then one of us will randomly see one of those bucks a time or two.

My best buck we watched as a very promising 9 for several years guessing him to be 5.5 the last year we watched him (9 point 135"). Half way through season he goes missing to not be seen once not even on camera for 2 whole years. Shows up at a different blind and on camera after a 2 year hiatus, now a 10 with a sticker scoring 151", and I was able to kill him the second sighting I got of him that year

My dads best buck we had on camera for several years, disappeared as a typical 11 with split g2's probably score about 140". Went missing for two years no pictures at all. Dad kills him mid December the following season on the opposite side of the ranch as a typical 12 with split g2's scoring 158" with probably 6-8" of broken tines.

My brothers best buck I had watched for 2 years in a row and was the only one to ever see him. I don't hunt feeders that much, mostly travel corridors and water, saw this buck probably 3 times during each season for two years. He was never seen at a feeder or ever captured a picture of him anywhere. Following season I seen him once in a sendero on a travel corridor. Brother spent a couple weeks watching that sendero with a rifle and got him. Was a 21" wide 10 that was upper 40's.

So yes mature bucks that are bigger than most the deer around are rarely seen at feeders, theres a reason they get big. They are very reclusive. As far as not using a feeder or corn, I wouldn't not have one but I wouldn't always be sitting over it.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #50
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion co, Navarro co

Where we hunt you have to have feed of some sort. Feeders also work great for 90% of the deer population. Most of our big deer get killed off of feeders. But on almost every lease I have ever been on there has always been good deer that never hit a feeder. And if you primarily a bowhunter once the rut kicks off its very hard to kill a big deer off feeders. Its pretty much early and late season. For me its just the excitement of the unknown. I like running feeders and I like watching deer on cameras but honestly it gets really boring for me watching the same deer all year at the same feeder. It just gets monotonous for me unless there is a special "feeder Deer" I am after.
To me its like eating at the same restaurant every day. Even though it may be great I like to try some new menus every once in a while. I can say this with all honesty, If I was given the option to kill a 160" deer by sitting in a blind staring out a window every day or kill a 140-150 deer by scouting and hand corning I'll take the latter of the two. I enjoy the experience much more. It just feels more like hunting to me. I hunt both ways but I like the variety of having both options for different situations. Just personal preference. It's not for everyone and nothing wrong with either.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top