Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Satellite Internet for Ranch

Has anyone used any of the satellite internet providers at your lease or ranch? We do a lot of work from the house and were wanting to upgrade our service. I have seen Viasat and Starlink but wanted to see if anyone is using any of these providers. We have a hot spot but itís just very limited in what it can do. We want to connect a weather station and not be able to limit the number of devices we have on our WiFi. Let me know if any of yíall have any experience in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
Has anyone used any of the satellite internet providers at your lease or ranch? We do a lot of work from the house and were wanting to upgrade our service. I have seen Viasat and Starlink but wanted to see if anyone is using any of these providers. We have a hot spot but itís just very limited in what it can do. We want to connect a weather station and not be able to limit the number of devices we have on our WiFi. Let me know if any of yíall have any experience in this.

Viasat & Starlink are different animals.
I would never even consider Viasat, Wild Blue, Hughes, etc...
Starlink, if available would be my choice.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #3
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

We have satellite internet and it is basic at best.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #4
Slinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real County, TX

We had Hughes Net for several years. It got the job done with no frills….
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
bgleaton
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Viasat & Starlink are different animals.
I would never even consider Viasat, Wild Blue, Hughes, etc...
Starlink, if available would be my choice.
Can you please explain how they are different? We just want something reliable where we can get WiFi in the barn and house and have a number of people using it at once.
Old 11-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
SNKETR
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

I have Viasat, because it my only option. One TV at a time, 720 resolution. Sending picture messages works but takes forever.
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can you please explain how they are different? We just want something reliable where we can get WiFi in the barn and house and have a number of people using it at once.
One works, the other doesn't.
I uninstall satellite (not SL) customers on a daily basis.
Personally I've never used it, I've also never heard anything good about it.
It is a money pitt, for something that is mediocre at best.
Contract required, high ping time, unlimited in some cases but may involve throttling.
SL is satellite, but generally we just call it SL and not satellite internet.
Currently it works great for those that have it, and it is beta at the moment.
No contract, good ping time, and unlimited.
Contact requirements, and unlimited data are subject to change once they leave beta.
In a nutshell.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
NelsonV
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Hunt, Fannin, and Collin County

I work for an internet company and Iím the first to tell you satellite internet is going to be terrible. Of those Iíd try Starlink but again itís gonna be hit and miss. Itís low orbit satellites are supposed to be better than the others. Itís all has to do with high latency unfortunately.

NelsonV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #9
BigL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Check out T-Mobiles coverage out there. If they have good 4G coverage, look at a moxee device. I bought one to use in my camper because I'm a permanent remote employee so thought I'd work more from my trailer in Lampasas and get a few afternoon hunts in since I'd be close to the lease. Didn't work out because at that RV park nothing works.

Here's the speeds I got from it when testing it out.

In Austin, I get over 20Mbps down and around 20Mbps up.

In San Saba in the deer stand, I get 8-16Mbps down and 7-12 up.

In Lampasas at Boone RV park it's slow. Could watch Netflix off it at night but couldn't stream the UT game on fubo. Can't work from it. Same for my AT&T 5g phone though. That's why I tried it the person working at the rv park said tmobiles service was best but still sucked.
BigL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Sattellite internet and line of sight sucks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigL View Post
Check out T-Mobiles coverage out there. If they have good 4G coverage, look at a moxee device. I bought one to use in my camper because I'm a permanent remote employee so thought I'd work more from my trailer in Lampasas and get a few afternoon hunts in since I'd be close to the lease. Didn't work out because at that RV park nothing works.

Here's the speeds I got from it when testing it out.

In Austin, I get over 20Mbps down and around 20Mbps up.

In San Saba in the deer stand, I get 8-16Mbps down and 7-12 up.

In Lampasas at Boone RV park it's slow. Could watch Netflix off it at night but couldn't stream the UT game on fubo. Can't work from it. Same for my AT&T 5g phone though. That's why I tried it the person working at the rv park said tmobiles service was best but still sucked.

This! We switched to T-Mobile at home, itís fast, unlimited data & about $60/ month.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #12
kingranch
Ten Point

hughes net is terrible at my dads place near stonewall....
thinking of biting bullet and getting him att unlimited so he can at least tether 40gigs a month of good tv
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 09:48 PM   #13
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hmmm…. now I’m not sure what we should do. There’s not much info online about what to do or use for WiFi in rural areas other than Viasat, Starlink, etc which is why I brought them up. The only carrier that works consistently out there is AT&T but it’s 1 to 2 bars in the house (metal roof) but other parts of the ranch have 4 bars.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #14
Slinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Real County, TX

Quote:
HmmmÖ. now Iím not sure what we should do. Thereís not much info online about what to do or use for WiFi in rural areas other than Viasat, Starlink, etc which is why I brought them up. The only carrier that works consistently out there is AT&T but itís 1 to 2 bars in the house (metal roof) but other parts of the ranch have 4 bars.
In this situation weBoost is an option to boost your server signal.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
SNKETR
Six Point

from my understanding weboost will help mainly with voice. data is another thing. There's a facebook group for using a phone sim, but it's beyond my knowledge and i'm not confident (equipment selection and settings) in it enough to make the jump.
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 08:28 AM   #16
bgleaton
Ten Point

We ended up contacting Nextlink. They are coming out to install two routers. I’ll keep you posted on how it works.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #17
Ag 89
Eight Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Quote:
We ended up contacting Nextlink. They are coming out to install two routers. Iíll keep you posted on how it works.
Please do. I will be in a similar situation in a few months.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #18
Ag 89
Eight Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Never mind. Not available in my area
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #19
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I have ViaSat and for most of what we do, which isn't much it is ok. For work stuff - h e double L no! It is so slow none of my work related programs will even open.

According to MadHatter, I can't even get NextLink or I'm guessing any other service due to low population in my area.

Now I'm looking for wireless because Verizon works beautifully but as they say, "it's unlimited data until you hit 30 Gig; it throttles way down."
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #20
RustyRanchero
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

NextLink should be pretty good.
RustyRanchero is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I have ViaSat and for most of what we do, which isn't much it is ok. For work stuff - h e double L no! It is so slow none of my work related programs will even open.

According to MadHatter, I can't even get NextLink or I'm guessing any other service due to low population in my area.

Now I'm looking for wireless because Verizon works beautifully but as they say, "it's unlimited data until you hit 30 Gig; it throttles way down."
I kinda dropped the ball on you, but I had to head north for a funeral.
Let me get home, and I'll get in touch.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #22
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
I kinda dropped the ball on you, but I had to head north for a funeral.
Let me get home, and I'll get in touch.
Oh, ok! I thought I was S.O.L. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #23
chaseh
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNKETR View Post
from my understanding weboost will help mainly with voice. data is another thing. There's a facebook group for using a phone sim, but it's beyond my knowledge and i'm not confident (equipment selection and settings) in it enough to make the jump.
I just installed the Weboost at my farm last month. We are in a low spot near the river in Falls Co, and every local company wants to install a $3,000 tower and then put a dish on it. Nextlink, CentralLink, and Windstream by Kinetic were who we tried. My shop is 24ft tall and that wasn't high enough for any signal.

We went from 1 or 2 bars on the phone in random places outside and constant dropped/missed calls and zero data, to 5 bars at the house and shop. No more missed phone calls, and the data seems unaffected - we can now browse online forums, facebook, online shopping, etc. All things we could not do before the Weboost.

I will say that we are also signed up for Starlink, but they pushed our install time back from this November to spring 2022. We will see what happens.

If you have cell service at your property, just not in the main areas, then I highly recommend the weboost unit!

Last edited by chaseh; 12-03-2021 at 02:31 PM.
chaseh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #24
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Just dropped Viasat- junk and expensive!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 05:30 PM   #25
Mark116
Four Point

I have had Viasat for 3 years now. It is the only option I have other then Hughes. It does what we need it to do. As far as just doing normal playing around on the computer it’s fine. The wife has some issues trying to download videos. I used to have fiber optic and no it’s not even close to that. I pay out the butt for data. We watch Netflix and other stuff online. We usually run out of data before the end of the month and get throttled down. If it’s the only option you have you can’t really call and tell them to take it out.
Mark116 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #26
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I have great cell phone service, but terrible internet.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #27
18ncs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fayette Co., Greene Co.

Bump
18ncs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #28
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
We ended up contacting Nextlink. They are coming out to install two routers. Iíll keep you posted on how it works.
Install 2 routers..?
Installing a radio of some sort as well?
If not, it sounds like they are putting in a sim router, which will be a Blazing Hog, OTR type of service.
Has it's downfalls but leaps ahead of Viasat, Hughes, Wild Blue, etc..
I was at a conference in St Louis last week, along with Nextlink and others, previewing new equipment that is about to hit the market, and it will be a gamechanger for rural people.
Gig ◊ 500 is coming wirelessly within the next year.
With all the CAF funding the gov is opening up, the rural build out in Texas is fixing to take a big leap.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #29
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

Satellite internet is the devil and Viasat is beyond belief terrible. It feels dialup slow and expensive as heck. AND you are locked into a 2 years contract. That is because nobody would keep that crap by choice. I tried to cancel between the 4 and 5 week mark. Nope. Bought out the contract at the 18 month point.

Ended up installing a 60í tower to be able to get the line of sight internet. Night and day difference.

Not ďcityĒ internet for sure but so much better than Viasat.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #30
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:

If you are getting stuck with a contract I would be very very sure about the speed before the installer left. Otherwise you are screwed.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:54 AM   #31
bgleaton
Ten Point

The WiFi that was installed via NextLink is very strong. We signed a contract and itís working awesome! My kids were playing their games, the wife was watching Netflix, and I was working and we didnít have any lag times. NextLink uses point to point, not satellite.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #32
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
The WiFi that was installed via NextLink is very strong. We signed a contract and itís working awesome! My kids were playing their games, the wife was watching Netflix, and I was working and we didnít have any lag times. NextLink uses point to point, not satellite.

Oh ok. So they put a small dish on your house that points to their tower. That is the kind of internet we went to with Community Internet Providers to replace that god awful satellite crap.

Night and day difference and it works great for us. We had to have a 60í tower installed to get over the trees but glad we did it.

Glad you got that instead of satellite internet.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #33
bgleaton
Ten Point

Yes, it’s a dish pointed to their antenna and we didn’t need any type of pole as they attached it directly to our roof. It’s great Wifi and we can have up to 20 users at once. Please PM me if anyone needs any contact info.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #34
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

We've got Viasat at the house and the ranch both. I'm on the waiting list for Starlink and it keeps getting pushed back. Ranch is uber rural and no next link available in the area. House is in a creek bottom of sorts very low point with tons of tall trees. I'd need a 120' antenna to bounce a nextlink signal probably.

I'm hopeful that star link will have enough satellites launched by the time its released at my house because I don't have a ton of sky to point towards.

Overall Viasat has been ok but is really all I've known or had available for the last 5 years outside of being at the office.
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 PM   #35
dropTopTx
Four Point

HughesNet is worthless. It supports very basic internet usage. Could not stream video or get any reasonable response times so I could not work. I paid to cancel my contract and just hotspot off my phone. Verizon service is much better.
dropTopTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #36
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
Oh ok. So they put a small dish on your house that points to their tower. That is the kind of internet we went to with Community Internet Providers to replace that god awful satellite crap.

Night and day difference and it works great for us. We had to have a 60í tower installed to get over the trees but glad we did it.

Glad you got that instead of satellite internet.
curious as to where you got your tower
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #37
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post

Installer out of Wills Point. PM me and I can send you the info.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #38
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Default Satellite Internet for Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJTX81 View Post
We've got Viasat at the house and the ranch both. I'm on the waiting list for Starlink and it keeps getting pushed back. Ranch is uber rural and no next link available in the area. House is in a creek bottom of sorts very low point with tons of tall trees. I'd need a 120' antenna to bounce a nextlink signal probably.

I'm hopeful that star link will have enough satellites launched by the time its released at my house because I don't have a ton of sky to point towards.

Overall Viasat has been ok but is really all I've known or had available for the last 5 years outside of being at the office.

Viasat is the anti-Christ. Worst quality of service I have ever had in anything I have ever purchased. The cost of that bull**** slow internet is beyond belief.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:36 PM   #39
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
CIP most likely gave him a list that had 3 or 4 different tower installers on it, as they do no in house builds.
They all source their towers from East Texas Towers, except one of them, and he uses a local machining shop.
The easiest and cheapest way is to find one not being used, cut 2 of the legs, and the 3rd one half way, and lay it down pretty as you please.
People will let you have them for free just to get rid of them.
Most these guys will put one up for you for less than half of the cost of new.
Just google rohn-25 and and you will see several options to purchase, but freight will eat your *** up right now.
There is also a guy out of Waco who has used ones, and he can be found on craigslist.
You want to work out an express or come pick it up, I'll let you have one for cost.