Camper trailer???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper trailer???

I have an older camper that i use at the deer camp. There are electric outlets down both walls. Do you think they are all tied into the same circuit, or wired independently of each other ? When I'm trying to run a two electric heaters the breaker will trip occasionally. Its a 30 amp service, connected to a 30 amp breaker.

We had the same problem. We just have to keep our heaters on the low setting and it doesn’t trip the breaker. If you set it to high, trips as soon as the heater clicks on.

Comment

try to narrow the circuits down to the breakers inside the trailer.

Comment

When the breaker blows, if both heaters quit working, then they are tied together.

Edit. Looks like your main breaker is blowing. How many breakers are in the fuse box of the camper?

Comment

There is one double for the trailer, in not sure of the amps. Then there are two separate breakers that control ac, and hot water heater. The breaker that is tripping, is on the breaker box outside on the electrical pole.

Comment

Old breakers sometimes will trip at lower than rated. If the only thing running is a 110V eletric heater, it would seem odd that a 30 amp breaker will not handle it. You could replace and see if that helps.

Regardless of the type of heater, please get a smoke detector in your trailer.

Comment

It is crazy how much of a current draw those little heaters have!

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                Old breakers sometimes will trip at lower than rated. If the only thing running is a 110V eletric heater, it would seem odd that a 30 amp breaker will not handle it. You could replace and see if that helps.

Regardless of the type of heater, please get a smoke detector in your trailer.

Did you miss the part where he said he was running 2 heaters???

OP, even a small ceramic heater pulls 15 amps... try running 2 will pop the breaker.

Comment

Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                    Did you miss the part where he said he was running 2 heaters???

OP, even a small ceramic heater pulls 15 amps... try running 2 will pop the breaker.
                    Sure I did. The heaters may be 15 Amos, or likely a tad lesss since the 30 amp only trips occasionally. He's working on a slim margin. If his main is weak by a half amp it could make the difference. So there is that.
                    Last edited by SJP51; 11-20-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I'm not an electrician by any means. But my thought would be to replace the 30 amp breaker in the outside breaker box, with a 40 amp. I haven't done this due to not knowing if it could lead to a fire hazard in the trailer. From the research i did yesterday the heaters i have draw 12.5 amps each. So counting lights, heaters, and the occasional tv, i am working with a slim margin.

Comment

Don't put in a bigger breaker unless you upgrade your wire size to handle the amps. Definitely a greater fire hazard.

Comment

This is why I specifically searched for low wattage heaters for our RV. This way I can spread them out in each room and not worry about tripping a breaker.

Comment

I ran a direct power supply to the pole for my main electric heater main heater is on it's own 30 amp breaker..

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                              I ran a direct power supply to the pole for my main electric heater main heater is on it's own 30 amp breaker..
                              I did the same and left it outside

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X