Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for folks that trade trucks often.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for folks that trade trucks often.

I have always bought used trucks in the past and driven them till I thought they were unreliable or "The Wheels Fall Off'. It has worked out well for me.

I bought my first new truck in March. It had 4000 miles on it so it wasn't brand new. It is a 20 model and now has 18900 miles on it.

Now that I have something nicer, newer and worth more, I am thinking I want to trade it in and stay in a newer vehicle.

My questions for you guys that trade trucks often and stay in a new truck are?

Do you trade them in around a particular mileage?

Do you trade them in when the warranty is going to run out?

Wait for a particular time of year?

Do you trade them every one or two years?

What triggers you to trade?

What do you expect from the dealership on a trade in?

In general what are your experiences good and bad

I traded every two years for a long time. I was using my truck for work and got paid for it. Now that I’m retired and not driving 80,000 miles per year, I’m not about to trade until I need to. If it’s not tax advantageous you’re just throwing your money away IMO. I mostly bought my trucks outright and would finance about every other one for 12 months just to keep my credit current. I don’t like paying truck payments (or any others) for the rest of my life.

Comment

I try to trade every 3 years. My thoughts are if your going to be making payments you might as well be driving a new one. I usually run between 30k and 50k a year on my mileage. So far this has worked out for me and my payment has stayed the same. Financially there’s people on here a lot smarter than me so don’t take my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to trade when the timing of rebates and incentives are in my favor, but usually best to trade before 80K miles.

Comment

The bug got you

Just remember the money you "make" on the trade you will pay that and more on the new one. Not counting the interest already paid

Comment

I will not drive a modern vehicle with out a warranty. Last vehicle used 5K in warranty repairs...

Comment

I used to be like you then I needed to keep something reliable for working. Over the past 10 years I have traded at 50K or less and every 2 to 3 years. I have kept a good equity position by doing that. I have owned 3 different new trucks in the past 9 years. I was looking to trade the last one but they offered me such a deal on the trade and I got 9K off the new one so I did. We pull an RV on a regular basis so wanted to get something I didn't have to worry about for another few years and my RVing days would likely be done then. If you establish a good equity, it pays to in my mind.

Comment

Be careful what you buy if you plan on trading it soon. Diesels do good, jeeps and Tacomas have been a grand slam for me. Regular everyday trucks will depreciate way faster.

Comment

I used to buy used trucks and keep them a long time. But when everything got really computerized with sensors on everything and all of that, it's hard to fix stuff without spending a lot. I've been trading every 2 years, usually in the fall when the model year closeout sales are going on. I usually have about 50K miles on them in 2 years.

Comment

in the wayback when I sold Ford for a short while I believe it was under 5 years old and under 90,000 miles would qualify for a "conventional loan" so they were worth more used

recently I heard a Ford dealer in a small town advertising under 7 years and 120,000 miles

sadly I remembered these numbers more firmly just a few months back, but a lot has gone on and I have been dealing with a ton of other "numbers" and those used car numbers slipped my mind so double check

it may have been 3 years and 90K in the past and 5 years 120K I heard recently

the main point being there are limits to miles and age that a dealership will wan as a premium used car

Comment

My advice, if you are going to go this route, is to buy desirable models. 4x4 diesel, Jeep’s, Tacomas, raptors, etc. will hold their resale better than, say, a f-150 xlt.

I don’t know how sustainable our current conditions are, but it almost makes sense to trade in every year or two now with how much they give on trades.

Comment

In a similar situation but my question to the financial gurus of TBH…. Does leasing make sense in this situation? Would like to be in a new truck every 36ish months and I only drive about 15k miles per year.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                        X