Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reloading for a Browning A Bolt 7mm rem mag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading for a Browning A Bolt 7mm rem mag.

Need some help with what all you reloaders are shooting. I've always shot 139gr factory ammo. I was wanting to step up to a heavier bullet. 160gr accubond. As far as factory loads I could never get the heavier bullets to shoot good. Any help would be appreciated.

What’s your barrel twist?

Comment

In my opinion, the 7mm mag and a 140 gr bullet are a great match. In my 7mm RUM, I shoot the 145 gr Barnes LRX bullet.
      That being said, I ha e always liked more speed with a smaller bullet versus slower speed with a heavier bullet.
      When I went to Africa I did shoot the 160 gr Barnes TSX and they performed extremely well.
      The Accubond is a great bullet as well.
      Can I ask why you want to go with a heavier bullet?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
        What’s your barrel twist?
        26" barrel and 9 1/2 twist

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
          In my opinion, the 7mm mag and a 140 gr bullet are a great match. In my 7mm RUM, I shoot the 145 gr Barnes LRX bullet.
          That being said, I ha e always liked more speed with a smaller bullet versus slower speed with a heavier bullet.
          When I went to Africa I did shoot the 160 gr Barnes TSX and they performed extremely well.
          The Accubond is a great bullet as well.
          Can I ask why you want to go with a heavier bullet?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
          I want a bullet that will blow through a 250 LBS deer from 50 yards out to 500 yards. I've been having problems with the 139gr bullet not exiting. I hunt in Mexico and no exit in all that brush isn't a good thing when they run off.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
            I want a bullet that will blow through a 250 LBS deer from 50 yards out to 500 yards. I've been having problems with the 139gr bullet not exiting. I hunt in Mexico and no exit in all that brush isn't a good thing when they run off.

I have a 7mag A-Bolt. 140g is magic in it, 150’s are good, 160’s are fair and nothing heavier works at all.

140g AccuBond or 140g Partition is what you are wanting!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              I have a 7mag A-Bolt. 140g is magic in it, 150’s are good, 160’s are fair and nothing heavier works at all.

140g AccuBond or 140g Partition is what you are wanting!
              Do you load the 140gr Accubond for your Browning? If so do you mind shearing your load recipe?

Comment

Try the 140 grain Sierra GameKing, it won’t blow up. I load them for my .280 Rem and I’ve yet to recover a bullet and I shoot my deer in the high shoulder. I don’t care for them running either.

Comment

You don't need a heavier bullet just a better bullet.

Comment

70 grains H 1000, berger 168 grain VLD bullets, why shoot a big gun with little bullets. Heavier bullets, are better in the wind and for longer range. More energy down range and 3k fps with a 168 is plenty fast.

Comment

What bullet have you been shooting that won't pass through a whitetail?

Comment

Do you load the 140gr Accubond for your Browning? If so do you mind shearing your load recipe?

When I worked up my load for my A-bolt AccuBonds were not around yet so I use Nosler Partitions but in most everything else I now load AccuBonds.

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                          70 grains H 1000, berger 168 grain VLD bullets, why shoot a big gun with little bullets. Heavier bullets, are better in the wind and for longer range. More energy down range and 3k fps with a 168 is plenty fast.

He doesn’t have the twist to stabilize the bigger bullets

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            What bullet have you been shooting that won't pass through a whitetail?
                            Hornnady 139gr InterLock. I.ve has several not exit.

Comment

Hornnady 139gr InterLock. I.ve has several not exit.
                              I've never used those, so I can't say for sure how they perform. It's not a bonded bullet, so I'd assume it doesn't hold together as well - especially in a magnum caliber. You don't have to have a heavier bullet. You just need one that will retain its weight better and not fragment.

Also, shot placement is a consideration. If you shoot a deer through the ribs, he'll die. But you'll need to blood trail him. If you shoot him high shoulder, he'll die right there, so no tracking required.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X