The proper way to measure pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CLR View Post
    I am in the metric and American hydraulics field and see this daily also. I always hear “I have a standard metric fitting.” ��
    Interesting i dont run across many people in the same field? What do you do. We are a Parker Distributor for Hose and fittings among many other things in NETX.

Metrics are pretty simple but most people have no idea. I get the well just bring me the most common up here ill know it when i see it. Or let me walk back into the warehouse ill know it when i see it.

I always tell them go ahead. We only have about 11-12,000 bins worth of fittings to go look in. Be my guest!!

Comment

The boys from NASA order pipe all wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are some differences in line pipe and oil country tubulars. some folks confuse the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
          The boys from NASA order pipe all wrong

Yep, they should just follow Dale's advice.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Take a piece of scrap to the gettin place, and buy the **** that works.

Pipe is round, tubing gots corners.

The Orion would look like a 58' Edsel.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinandy View Post
            indians smoke um peace pipes.
            fify

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              Those are decimals in that chart.

And if I.D. was the call why is OD the second column?
              The OD measurement is so people that know nothing about pipe can measure the OD, go to the gettin place, and buy the correct size.

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
              One of my pet peeves that has stuck with me since my downhole tool days, is properly calling out pipe sizes.

Every time I hear someone say " 2 3/8 pipe or 2 7/8 pipe" its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I just thought some of you might be interested in this info.

Most pipe is roughly measured in I.D. at standard thickness up until 14" pipe. I say roughly because you wont find a 2" pipe measuring 2" anywhere, but all 2" pipe is 2 3/8 OD.

If you find a peace of pipe that doesn't match this chart, then you have a peace of tubing, not pipe.
              If you don't know that 2 3/8" OD is 2", the OD is what you fall back on since the ID doesn't usually equal the exact dimension and people that don't know 2 3/8'' is 2" usually don't have Inside calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                The OD measurement is so people that know nothing about pipe can measure the OD, go to the gettin place, and buy the correct size.

If you don't know that 2 3/8" OD is 2", the OD is what you fall back on since the ID doesn't usually equal the exact dimension and people that don't know 2 3/8'' is 2" usually don't have Inside calipers.
                OD is for those of us who are using it structurally, and don't care how much fluid it will carry.

Comment

Brandon said I don’t need an I.D. Well to vote anyway!!

Comment

OD is for those of us who are using it structurally, and don't care how much fluid it will carry.
                    lol, pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                      Brandon said I don’t need an I.D. Well to vote anyway!!

For tha win!

Comment

That’s what she said.

Comment

Structurally, ID doesn't matter much... until it does. But by then, you would have probably figured out you had a problem.

Good new is, you can take a piece of the scrap down to the gett'n place and ask for one just a little thicker.

Comment

I call it by what ever my supplier calls it !
                            This way I get the correct size for what ever I’m doing.
                            ID,OD,Thickness,Schedules, it’s all good.

Comment

Been a fun ride! Ruler/Caliper/Tape all work for me..Thx for Chart by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X